The Athletic - Boston Fluto: With ample depth on defense, should the Bruins trade Torey Krug?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The NHL is closed for the next 6 weeks - no need to make a hasty mood

Shinzawa: With ample depth on defense, should the Bruins...

The Bruins do not want to trade Torey Krug.

The 27-year-old left-shot defenseman is an elite power-play point presence. He drives play in controlled even-strength situations. After he retrieves pucks, Krug is fearless at carrying it up the ice and gaining the offensive zone. Krug is a leader, one who served as alternate captain when the Bruins visited his hometown Red Wings for 3-2 win on Feb. 6. Krug is signed for two more seasons at $5.25 million annually.

The reason the Bruins would consider flipping Krug is because of the surplus on defense and the scarcity at right wing. After signing John Moore to a five-year, $13.75 million deal, the Bruins have eight varsity defensemen under contract for next season. Following David Pastrnak, unproven youngsters such as Anders Bjork, Ryan Donato, and Peter Cehlarik are under consideration for top-six right-wing duty.

Of the defensemen the Bruins would consider moving (Charlie McAvoy is not going anywhere), Krug would bring the highest return — possibly an experienced right wing with a skill set comparable to Ilya Kovalchuk’s.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
The reason is because...
They should of traded him...
Definately...

Ok, now that I got that out, I agree with GloryDaze. I feel like this has been done to death.

I do think Krug will be sorely missed if he’s traded.

Reactions: PlayMakers

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Is it me, or does it seem like this is the 4th/5th time someone has written this very same article recently?

I was thinking about subscribing to the Athletic, but it won’t be for Fluto. Do you get access to writers in the other cities as well when you sign up?

You won't sign up for Fluto? But, but, but, he's really finally getting to show the value of his connections and conversations with key people affiliated with the team. Especially in this rehashing of Moore's signing making Krug a potential trade candidate. I mean, sure every other writer who covers the team has done this story, and half the posters here have been discussing it as well, but Fluto truly captures the essence of the situation.

The. Guy. Is. A. Giant. f***ing. Hack.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Is it me, or does it seem like this is the 4th/5th time someone has written this very same article recently?

I was thinking about subscribing to the Athletic, but it won’t be for Fluto. Do you get access to writers in the other cities as well when you sign up?
Yes you can read any writer if you subscribe to the Athletic.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
You won't sign up for Fluto? But, but, but, he's really finally getting to show the value of his connections and conversations with key people affiliated with the team. Especially in this rehashing of Moore's signing making Krug a potential trade candidate. I mean, sure every other writer who covers the team has done this story, but Fluto truly captures the essence of the situation.

The. Guy. Is. A. Giant. ****ing. Hack.

Same line works for Haggerty

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Absolutely not. Unless its part of a deal where Krug isn't the best player in the deal and hes used to bring a better LD back.

2 more years of him as the 3rd LD and top PP guy and let him walk as a free agent sounds ideal to me. You'd have to be an idiot to want a package of futures/picks instead of that or a 3rd line overpaid grinder that we will want to buy out.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Absolutely not. Unless its part of a deal where Krug isn't the best player in the deal and hes used to bring a better LD back.

2 more years of him as the 3rd LD and top PP guy and let him walk as a free agent sounds ideal to me. You'd have to be an idiot to want a package of futures/picks instead of that or a 3rd line overpaid grinder that we will want to buy out.

Who said anything about dealing Krug for a 3rd line overpaid grinder?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I agree with the overall sentiment, but right now Krug is 2nd pair, not 3rd. And after Chara leaves, he’s your 1st pair LD.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You won't sign up for Fluto? But, but, but, he's really finally getting to show the value of his connections and conversations with key people affiliated with the team. Especially in this rehashing of Moore's signing making Krug a potential trade candidate. I mean, sure every other writer who covers the team has done this story, and half the posters here have been discussing it as well, but Fluto truly captures the essence of the situation.

The. Guy. Is. A. Giant. ****ing. Hack.

I put his articles at the bottom of my cat’s litter boxes.

1) They won’t even shit on it.

2) They don’t know any more about hockey than they did a few years ago.

3) They can tell you where the best place to eat is near each NHL rink.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Stop listening to the morons on the Sports Hub who literally kept calling Krug a 3rd pairing d who was nothing more than a plug.

Reactions: Strafer

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Wow what a hot take, it's almost as if he's been reading these forums for the past month

Reactions: LSCII

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That is the debate isn’t it? Who is worse? Fluto or Flabberty?

the bar is low regardless of which one but before Fluto left for the Athletic, at the very least I felt he was in the barn watching a Bruins game prior to writing his column, there are far too many times, based on what I`m reading, that Haggs is sitting on his couch watching Punky Brewster re-runs, suddenly realizes his deadline is 17 minutes away, races to his laptop, hits Hf Boards GDT, then the first few posts he reads, he piggy backs on regardless of it`s content

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
However it wants to be rationalized-Chara +22,McAvoy +20,Miller +16,Grzelyck +21,Carlo +10,Krug 0

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
However it wants to be rationalized-Chara +22,McAvoy +20,Miller +16,Grzelyck +21,Carlo +10,Krug 0

I rationalize it as a stat that shouldn't be used as the go-to to start a discussion on anything. The stat measures nothing more than whether the player was on the ice for a goal for/against. The player could have zero to do with the goal, but still gets a +/-. One example that always stands out in my head. Krug and Carlo were paired together. It was against Arizona. Krug gave Carlo a cross zone pass, and Carlo turns to transition the puck up. He is weak on the puck, and Dvorak picks it off and walks in alone on Rask, and scores. Everyone on the ice gets a minus (-) but Carlo is really the only reason the goal was scored.

Also, Krug may have been an "even" on the season, but that's because he was on the ice for 6 GA on the PP. That goes towards his +/- in a negative way, since GF during the PP don't affect it, but GA on the PP do. So technically Krug was a -6 on the PP this year. No, not every GA on the PP was his fault.

At 5v5, Krug was a +4. At ES, Krug was a +7.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Haggerty is simply lazy. He could be a decent writer if he wasn't. Fluto, I feel, just sucks. So I guess the debate is which is worse, being lazy or bad at your job?

although I did appreciate Fluto`s travelling foodie reports:)

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I rationalize it as a stat that shouldn't be used as the go-to to start a discussion on anything. The stat measures nothing more than whether the player was on the ice for a goal for/against. The player could have zero to do with the goal, but still gets a +/-. One example that always stands out in my head. Krug and Carlo were paired together. It was against Arizona. Krug gave Carlo a cross zone pass, and Carlo turns to transition the puck up. He is weak on the puck, and Dvorak picks it off and walks in alone on Rask, and scores. Everyone on the ice gets a minus (-) but Carlo is really the only reason the goal was scored.

Also, Krug may have been an "even" on the season, but that's because he was on the ice for 6 GA on the PP. That goes towards his +/- in a negative way, since GF during the PP don't affect it, but GA on the PP do. So technically Krug was a -6 on the PP this year. No, not every GA on the PP was his fault.

At 5v5, Krug was a +4. At ES, Krug was a +7.

Of course it's not a starting point,especially when it doesn't serve us,but it carries some validity when it's examined relative to a player's peers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad