The Athletic - Boston Fluto: With ample depth on defense, should the Bruins trade Torey Krug?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Chara really needs to not be your number one d-man.

Take him out of the equation and that left side is horrible.

Take him and Krug out.... ugggg.

And I'm all for trading Krug, but you need a legit (young) second pairing and future first pairing left D back.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Chara really needs to not be your number one d-man.

Take him out of the equation and that left side is horrible.

Take him and Krug out.... ugggg.

And I'm all for trading Krug, but you need a legit (young) second pairing and future first pairing left D back.

And the only one that fit that descriptive (somewhat) was Hanifin, and he went to Calgary. These types of players don't become available often. Ones that are, like Klefbom, have risks with them. You usually have to draft and develop.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Oh wow the cap ! Thanks! Im sure before the cap there was another excuse

I think the point is...how can you logically assert being "cheap" when the team is spending as much money as is allowed on players?

Forget your (or anyone else's) persona feelings about the guy or how he was in the past. How does your implication, at the present time, make sense?

Reactions: Chief Nine

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Quantity does not equal depth. You don't just trade Krug for a winger then think your D is ok because you got Moore. The Bs need to be upgrading the top 4, not subtracting from it. The top 4 is serviceable subtracting Krug and relying on what's there. The top 4 is not going to win a Cup by subtracting Krug and not replacing him with something equal or better.

Agreed, but what do you do? Clearly, they have to solve the second line scoring problem. Arguably, CM can step in for Krug per quarterbacking PP & breakout passes/lugging the puck up ice.

Many dislike Haggerty but he's likely right about one thing: Torey's value may never be higher than it is right now. *If* you believe Charlie can grow into Krug's role (or exceed it), you have to consider a deal to fill the second line scoring hole.

Or, as Haggerty also suggests, you wait awhile and see if the young guys you already have can provide the necessary offense. Get a clear picture of how great the need is, and make your decision(s) accordingly.

I suspect that's what Sweeney & Co. will do.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I invented the cap so my fans will say I spent to it! Weeee! 1 cup i 47 years. God help us

All I ask from the Boston Bruins is to build toward winning a championship and not go through the motions like they used to.

Show me that you want to win and that you’re doing your best and I’m a fan. They’re definitely doing that now

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I invented the cap so my fans will say I spent to it! Weeee! 1 cup i 47 years. God help us

The gist of this comment is perhaps a little bit weirdly true in a way, but you still haven't explained why the "youth movement" is an excuse for Jacobs being cheap. Even this comedic comment does not provide any sort of explanation.

If you want to say: Jacobs is cheap because he wanted to prevent other rich owners from outspending him, I can warm to that assertion. But your original comment still doesn't make any sense. You're having a classic case of "cannot separate logical thought from previously established emotion".

Reactions: KrejciMVP

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
2018 Krug is like 2010 Wideman. We need a Nate Horton more than we need Krug right now.

Charlie and Gryz are capable of taking up Krug's roles on the PP, and we might as well deal him before he gets old and loses all value.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
If Krug gets dealt we may end up back at square one. Remember how long we were in need of a true PMD? I really don't believe he is that easy to replace either and isn't appreciated enough for what he brings to this team.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
2018 Krug is like 2010 Wideman. We need a Nate Horton more than we need Krug right now.

Charlie and Gryz are capable of taking up Krug's roles on the PP, and we might as well deal him before he gets old and loses all value.

Oh God, no he’s not. Wideman was abysmal towards the end of his time with the Bruins.

He’s also 27.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->