The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Trade Winds? Bruins are all ears

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
You don’t trade Carlo. You build AROUND him and McAvoy. You’ve got your top 2 RHD for a decade. We need some LHD with some size. Probably bring back Chara for another year. I’d like to move on from Krug.

Offense is where they need to do something. I can’t see DeBrusk breaking the bank, so I bring him back. I’m all in on Hall pushing DeBrusk down. My biggest need and it’s been since Horton left, is 2nd like RW. Can we finally solve that problem?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I just don't understand trading assets when you can improve the team via free agency.

Obviously it depends on the specific player/contract, but in many cases you're better overpaying a guy in dollars than you are giving up assets to get a more favorable contract.
Not with a cap. If Carlo is the center piece in a Wilson trade where you can dump guys like Moore as a part of it I move Carlo. DeBrusk gets you assets and space to sign Taylor Hall, see ya Jake.

By all means build your bottom six using UFA's and prospects. Get some mean and size in that bottom six and on D or a smaller guy who plays like Nevin Markwart to go in that bottom six.

Love the fact Neely is making it clear they need to get tougher.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Carlo is not a guy you build around. He is a 4-6 D, you build around MacAvoy not a passive giant with no offensive skills. Nik Hjalmarsson is not a guy you build around and that is who Carlo reminds me of.

Reactions: duffy and bbfan419

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
You don’t trade Carlo. You build AROUND him and McAvoy. You’ve got your top 2 RHD for a decade. We need some LHD with some size. Probably bring back Chara for another year. I’d like to move on from Krug.

Offense is where they need to do something. I can’t see DeBrusk breaking the bank, so I bring him back. I’m all in on Hall pushing DeBrusk down. My biggest need and it’s been since Horton left, is 2nd like RW. Can we finally solve that problem?
Bingo! This is how I feel. I also worry trading DeBrusk would be short sighted and can picture the Bs selling super low on him like Riley Smith.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Carlo is not a guy you build around. He is a 4-6 D, you build around MacAvoy not a passive giant with no offensive skills. Nik Hjalmarsson is not a guy you build around and that is who Carlo reminds me of.
I know it is hard to remember the 2019 post season but Carlo was probably our best Defenseman. His pair against Tampa this year was terrible no doubt but he’s only a season removed from being a fantastic shut down D. He struggled with the break because I don’t think his hockey IQ is as high as some others on this team but once he gets going he is a force.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Carlo plays with maddening indifference. Not Dougie-level, but somewhat close. For the right deal, I move him.

Conversely, would not be as willing to move Jake. I think he has significant upside when placed with the right line mates.

Krug must go. Love him, but we cannot, and should not, pay what he’ll want.

I see no indifference. Hes just a big guy who isn't particularly tough.

I mean you want a better fighter at his size chances are that guy will suck at skating.

The problem is we love to ice a 4th line of 'grinder' plugs who all can't fight a lick. We won't even play kids on the 4th they have to sink or swim higher up. And the 3rd pairing has seen Gryz with someone who fights like him ever since K Miller went down. That is where you have to find some toughness to offset Debrusk and Carlo being paper soft.

Going back to Beleskey (who had 1 good year) we have fallen on our face when we have tried to add grit.

Backes and Ritchie were absolute disasters. We have nowhere to play these guys either.

Reactions: bbfan419

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'd want Carlo for Ristolainen.Ca

We are told Riso can't play D by the same people who said Bogosian wasn't even an NHLer.

Get Risto out of there and he could flourish. Top end skill/size/snarl package.
(

I had no idea. I love that he laid out Ovie like that. That being said, I wouldn't trade Carlo for him since there are too many red flags, like (minus) -145 of them. Even if Carlo is passive, his skating is top notch for a guy his size. Maybe someone needs to put some Bengay in his jockstrap before each game? Send him to assertiveness training classes? Risto's cap hit is $5.4 mill until the end of 21/22. Carlo's is $2.85 until the end of 20/21.

Last edited:

Ursus8

May 14, 2009
Is Sweeney banking on teams being forced to trade away players to get under the cap?

If so, is there a list anywhere of teams with RFA’s to resign who will need to move out some bodies (ala Tampa)?

I think he is definately banking on that.

Im sure Arizona wants to cut some salary and they have a lot on their back end. I could see sweeney trying to swing a trade for Hjalmarsson and id love to get lawson crouse. might not cost a lot either and he could stand in i guess at LD with charlie. Crouse is just a monster starting to come into his own, he definately plays the style we want.

Anaheim has very little room and seems like their rebuilding. Maybe swing a trade for Lindholm but thats gonna be pretty considerable pieces going back.

To bad we don't have our first rd pick Sergachev would be a nice offer sheet candidate.

Minnesota seems open to making moves so maybe could go for Brodin.

I think sweeney will look for a D partner for Macavoy but other than that i think the forward group basically stays the same. Im open to trading any prospect though other than Studnicka but obviously he'll be the biggest ask in a trade though so what do you do?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Andersons health concerns me, but man does he check some much needed boxes if he can be 100%.

Big, check
Good skater, check
Physical, check
Good shot, and scoring touch, check

It all depends on how his recovery is going, though.

Another guy who i think would be a fantastic Bruin is Tyler Bertuzzi, I don't think Detroit would move him, though.
He also wants $5M AAV, no thanks with injury concerns and trust me he is head case.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
DeBrusk was far more physical (even got in a fight) before the Kadri incident. He came back from that extremely cautious (which is understandable at first), but he never got back to his old game and has been playing scared ever since.
I wonder if his recovery curve was lengthened on a brain injury. Bergeron took a couple years after one of his concussions. No inside information here but I am suspicious.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I

Toffoli - should come in around 6 and I like him better than Granlund for the money.

6 million for how many years ? 5/6? Maybe if lucky you get 4 with a NTC for a couple years? Seems a lot for me for a guy who's upside is a RH version of what we have gotten from Debrusk the past few tears

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
6 million for how many years ? 5/6? Maybe if lucky you get 4 with a NTC for a couple years? Seems a lot for me for a guy who's upside is a RH version of what we have gotten from Debrusk the past few tears

Maybe. But I'm looking for him to add to DeBrusk, not replace him.

In a perfect world it would be Hall at 7.5 x 6 or Hoffman at 6.5 x 4 --- but I'm not sure that would work.

Maybe Toffoli takes 5.5 to be on a team that is looking to go all in, which I hope the Bruins are.

Either way -- Toffoli with Krejci and JDB with Coyle makes the team deeper. I just don't know if he's enough by himself to move the needle close enough to contender to make it worth signing him.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
The people calling for Carlo to be traded are out of their minds. He's a top, young, right shot shut down defenseman. Players like him are not easy to find, or easy to replace. He is the perfect RD#2 to McAvoy as RD#1. I think putting someone who can be more physical, like Lauzon, on his left side instead of a defensive liability like Krug will open Carlo up to take more risks and showcase his skating. Carlo has had to play super conservative with Krug as his partner, given Krug's style and propensity to jump up into the offense.

The obvious trade piece is Krejci. One year left, can definitely get a first + for him to restock our prospect pool. Coyle can start as the 2C with Studnicka at 3C until he's ready to move up to the 2, which should happen within a year. I think DeBrusk's game fits better with Coyle, too. Krejci can play aggressive when he wants, as he showed in these playoffs, but most of the time he won't give you that kind of play. Coyle will, and DeBrusk will benefit.

It sucks, and potentially insulting, but I give Chara a PTO contract. Let him see if he can skate well enough to make the team whenever the season gets around to starting. He did not look good in the playoffs. He's too slow to even use his size to lay a good hit or rough anyone up. He doesn't handle the puck well. He hasn't ripped his record setting slapper in years. He's a great guy, but he's no longer. a great player.

Hard no an Anderson. These big, power guys rarely bounce back from serious injury to be anywhere near the player they were. He'll be over priced, and we'll end up with another Beleskey or Backes on our hands.

I like Frederick, but he's not the savior many people around here think he is. At this point, he's looking like a 4th liner, and I'm ok with that. I think he could replace Nordstrom.

I don't love the idea of Hall, because of his injury proneness and his likely contract demands. If he's serious about winning, and will sign a 3-4 year deal I'm all in, but I don't love the idea of having a 35 year old Hall on the roster making 9+ million against the cap. And I still trade Krejci, Hall or no Hall.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
The people calling for Carlo to be traded are out of their minds. He's a top, young, right shot shut down defenseman. Players like him are not easy to find, or easy to replace. He is the perfect RD#2 to McAvoy as RD#1. I think putting someone who can be more physical, like Lauzon, on his left side instead of a defensive liability like Krug will open Carlo up to take more risks and showcase his skating. Carlo has had to play super conservative with Krug as his partner, given Krug's style and propensity to jump up into the offense.

The obvious trade piece is Krejci. One year left, can definitely get a first + for him to restock our prospect pool. Coyle can start as the 2C with Studnicka at 3C until he's ready to move up to the 2, which should happen within a year. I think DeBrusk's game fits better with Coyle, too. Krejci can play aggressive when he wants, as he showed in these playoffs, but most of the time he won't give you that kind of play. Coyle will, and DeBrusk will benefit.

It sucks, and potentially insulting, but I give Chara a PTO contract. Let him see if he can skate well enough to make the team whenever the season gets around to starting. He did not look good in the playoffs. He's too slow to even use his size to lay a good hit or rough anyone up. He doesn't handle the puck well. He hasn't ripped his record setting slapper in years. He's a great guy, but he's no longer. a great player.

Hard no an Anderson. These big, power guys rarely bounce back from serious injury to be anywhere near the player they were. He'll be over priced, and we'll end up with another Beleskey or Backes on our hands.

I like Frederick, but he's not the savior many people around here think he is. At this point, he's looking like a 4th liner, and I'm ok with that. I think he could replace Nordstrom.

I don't love the idea of Hall, because of his injury proneness and his likely contract demands. If he's serious about winning, and will sign a 3-4 year deal I'm all in, but I don't love the idea of having a 35 year old Hall on the roster making 9+ million against the cap. And I still trade Krejci, Hall or no Hall.
The Bruins should keep an open mind with all players when it comes to trades.
Lets not forget we traded Hamilton, who compares in skill set with Carlo.
Too bad we only really have Lauzon to show for the trade now, with ZS waiting for his chance.
The Chara shipped has sailed, I don't want him back. If a player cannot compete all the time, every shift, then they should not play anymore. Chara cannot win one on one battles anymore, he is too slow and his game has regressed significantly in the last two years.
We have better players who can take his spot now.
Anderson = stay away.
Hall = Stay away.

We are better off spending money on other forwards like C.Smith, Dandonov and I would throw a bone at Galchenyuk, who needs a change of scenery.
The Nordstroms/Lindholms I am done with. They have NO offensive skills.
Bjork is skating on thin ice as well. He has to prove he can bury the puck or I would let him go for anything of value, mid round pick, prospect?
I agree to give Frederic and ZS a chance to play, even if it is only 10 mins a night to start with.
Our 4th line needs to score. When we won the cup in 2011, our 4th line had 34 goals in the regular season. I pro rated to 82 games, our 4th line from this year and they totalled 20 only.
Depth at scoring is what wins Cups, 2011 we had 12 players with 20 or more goals, this year we had 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad