The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Trade Winds? Bruins are all ears

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Free agency opens on Oct. 6. It will be Don Sweeney’s first opportunity to do some shopping.

Unlike some of his cap-strapped counterparts, including Julien BriseBois in Tampa Bay, Sweeney should have cash to spend in free agency. That may change, though, if something else catches his eye first.

“That will depend on if we make any roster moves prior to that,” Sweeney said Wednesday of spending on the free market. “There are a lot of teams that are up against the cap in a flat-cap environment. We actually have the space to do the things necessary to do internally. Whether or not we do those or execute those, that still remains to be seen.”

The NHL salary cap will remain flat at $81.5 million because of the pandemic’s financial body blow. Some GMs, like BriseBois, will have to unhitch, with great reluctance, good players from their rosters. It may be that breathing room under the cap puts Sweeney in an advantageous position.

The Bruins, however, will still have to give to get.

“There’s been plenty of talk of teams trying to move pieces around and players to improve their own clubs,” Sweeney said. “We’re going to do the exact same thing. Having conversations, I’m pretty aware of how teams are valuing players on our roster. So I have to look at it and say, ‘OK, does that mean we have the internal growth available to fill that spot?’ Anytime you look at moving players in and out, you’re robbing Peter to pay Paul in that situation.”

Sweeney’s counterparts want young, productive and relatively inexpensive players off the Black-and-Gold roster. David Pastrnak and Charlie McAvoy fit this profile. By now, other GMs should know better than to inquire about their availability.When they raise other names, however, Sweeney has to listen.

This means Jake DeBrusk, Brandon Carlo and Anders Bjork. It means, to a lesser degree, Jack Studnicka, Urho Vaakanainen and Trent Frederic.

Reactions: bbfan419

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'll be pretty sad if Jake gets traded. I would understand if he's traded, but he has grown on me.

I like the player.

Unfortunate that it all comes down to cap hit.

None of the prospects in the system are good enough to replace him on the second line. If hes thrown into a deal for someone like Geaudreau or we sign Hall that is fine. I like him as the 3rd LW on a good contract.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The part I like about dealing Carlo is identities what they would need to acquire

a big young right shot D that can kill penalties

I Put it at 0.0 and it should be

Trading Carlo before you get to see him with someone other than Torey Krug would be one of the stupidest things this organization has ever done.

I don't see any big moves to make. If you can add a forward great. Just don't let Chara return hes too slow and Krug will take the money. I am 100% fine if Moore and Gryz are our 2 top LDs. I don't care about who our 3rd pairing D are we have plenty of them would like to see what we have on the left side everyones been buried behind Chara and the 2 smaller guys.

Make those moves next year when you can get 15 mil in cap space from DK and Rask if its time to blow it up.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I just don't understand trading assets when you can improve the team via free agency.

Obviously it depends on the specific player/contract, but in many cases you're better overpaying a guy in dollars than you are giving up assets to get a more favorable contract.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think Fluto put that in for a grab the reader

I don’t know one person who thinks that makes sense

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Not a Bruins fan but the only name I saw in the OP that made good sense to trade is DeBrusk imo. He just seems like a soft player, he got better as the series went on against TB but something is just missing from his game, especially considering his wheels and skillset. Maybe I'm being unfair to him because Louie was a tough guy, I don't know...

Wouldn't trade Carlo with Chara/Krug tbd. Players like Bjork and Frederic could probably be of use in a depth capacity, do they really have significant value?

As an outsider looking in, I don't see Bruins falling out of contention anytime soon.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Not a Bruins fan but the only name I saw in the OP that made good sense to trade is DeBrusk imo. He just seems like a soft player, he got better as the series went on against TB but something is just missing from his game, especially considering his wheels and skillset. Maybe I'm being unfair to him because Louie was a tough guy, I don't know...

Wouldn't trade Carlo with Chara/Krug tbd. Players like Bjork and Frederic could probably be of use in a depth capacity, do they really have significant value?

As an outsider looking in, I don't see Bruins falling out of contention anytime soon.

DeBrusk was far more physical (even got in a fight) before the Kadri incident. He came back from that extremely cautious (which is understandable at first), but he never got back to his old game and has been playing scared ever since.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I'd want Carlo for Ristolainen.

We are told Riso can't play D by the same people who said Bogosian wasn't even an NHLer.

Get Risto out of there and he could flourish. Top end skill/size/snarl package.

Bogosian looked great against the Bruins because the Bruins did very little to make his and the other Tampa defensemen's job difficult. The Bruins one and done offense and lack of forecheck gave the opposing defensemen time to carry pucks out. Just like Clifton having the once in a few games skating end to end shift doesn't mean he's better than any other defenseman currently on the team.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Maybe it's just me, but I highly doubt DeBrusk will be traded. I doubt any team would give us an upgrade at forward for him, given his camp's contract demands and streaky play. I think people are underestimating the factor of his camp's stubborn demands.

Reactions: Gordoff

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
It's still early but nothing about Frederic's call ups has suggested he's an NHL player, let alone on one that's trying to maximize a cup window of aging veterans.

But he fights!

(Having said that, I don't see the harm in having him on the fourth line next season. And the Cup window already closed for this core, so why not bring up some of the young prospects?)

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
Tsn reporting names like Patrick Hornqvist and Josh Andereson as possible names in play. Both RW but play gritty and physical. Add them to the list for experienced 2 nd liners for Krejci with the flexibility of dropping Kase and JDB to 3rd line with Coyle.

Targets:
LW Toffoli UFA was @ 4.6
C LW RW Granlund UFA was @ 5.75
RW Hornqvist signed 3 years @ 5.3
RW Anderson RFA @ 1.85

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Tsn reporting names like Patrick Hornqvist and Josh Andereson as possible names in play. Both RW but play gritty and physical. Add them to the list for experienced 2 nd liners for Krejci with the flexibility of dropping Kase and JDB to 3rd line with Coyle.

Targets:
LW Toffoli UFA was @ 4.6
C LW RW Granlund UFA was 5.75
RW Hornqvist signed 3 years @ 5.3
RW Anderson RFA @ 1.85

I like Hornqvist but he's 33 and I don't want them moving assets to pay a guy that age 5+ for the next 3 years.

Granlund -- good wheels and decent production, but would cost 6+ and that might be too much for him, IMO.

Toffoli - should come in around 6 and I like him better than Granlund for the money.

Anderson - depending on what they'd need to give up, might be a good play, provided they get another winger as well, as he should be signable at around 2.75 - 3.0 for a couple of "show me" years. (I'd be ok with Bjork and a mid-level pick or 4th/5th for him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->