News Article: Fluto: By trading Dougie Hamilton, Update: Signs 6yrs/34.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The kessel trade made people give up on *****ing about the Thornton trade
The seguin trade made people give up *****ing about the kessel trade
Does the Hamilton trade mean we don't have to ***** about the seguin trade anymore?

We're going to have a lot to ***** about. This is the one that broke it for me. I was all good with coping with the Seguin trade even when it clearly turned into a disaster. Was annoyed with the constant whining. "If I read any more *****ing about it I'm gonna-- blah blah get over it, it's not franchise cripping".

I get it now. OH I get it now and this is my Seguin trade. I am going to freak out about this one every chance I get.

This team is gonna regret this day for I don't even know how many years. They truly ****ed themselves now and in the future. I can't even imagine how long it will take to undo what they did here. Even though I didn't know what to expect from Sweeney/GM and had my hesitations and I thought they might get hosed in a Lucic trade, I never thought they were this stupid and incompetent.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
For the 1st time I don't know if I will invest in the NHL Center Ice package in order to watch the B's. They trade my favourite player away in Lucic and deal off Hamilton for pennies on the dollar, as the Brits would say " I am gutted ". The Lucic trade I can understand but the Hamilton trade was simply idiotic, poorly thought out and rushed, the Bruins are in for a dark period I'm afraid, I'm terrified to see what these clowns in charge will do next.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I thought they say everything is better in the morning.

they are wrong the Dougie trade still sucks and the picks.....what the hell were they doing with the picks??????

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
One of the worst trade ever.

Let's see if I have the pattern right:

1) Trade Joe Thornton for garbage
2) Trade Kessel for draft picks
3) Trade Seguin for garbage
4) Trade Hamilton for draft picks

5) Trade pick #13 for garbage
6) Trade pick #14 for draft picks
7) Trade pick #15 for garage

Does that sound about right ?

:rant::rant::rant::rant:

Sabres75

Feb 27, 2002
Take the USA and head North.
The recent Bruins' success was during the era when the Sabres were on the downside. I was so hoping to play the Bruins this coming season during the resurgence and even give a little payback.

Now, it won't seem as satisfying since your GM and brain trust turned your organization into the Sabres of July 1, 2007. They let the wrong guys leave and kept and overpaid the complimentary players....wrong move.

It's a long way back, folks. Sabres are still 30th, last I checked.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Looks like there are some in the Bruins Brass who dislike paying young stars the going rate .

They signed Seguin to what is looking more and more as a team friendly deal; yet less than a year later, they off-loaded him.

Now they had another opportunity to pay a rising star, Dougie, the going rate and once again chose to not pay it.

Then they appear to have used their 2nd and 3rd 1st rounders on players with lower ceilings who most likely will be cheaper resigns at the end of their entry level contracts rather than draft players rated much higher.

There better be a couple of Patrice Bergerons coming today with those 2nd rounders or the 2015 draft will be botched just like the non drafting of Parise in 2003.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Burke must have smiled yesterday as his GM took the Bruins' new GM for a ride and helped Burke re-acquire with his new team a major piece of the old Kessel trade.

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
Looks like there are some in the Bruins Brass who dislike paying young stars the going rate .

They signed Seguin to what is looking more and more as a team friendly deal; yet less than a year later, they off-loaded him.

Now they had another opportunity to pay a rising star, Dougie, the going rate and once again chose to not pay it.

Then they appear to have used their 2nd and 3rd 1st rounders on players with lower ceilings who most likely will be cheaper resigns at the end of their entry level contracts rather than draft players rated much higher.

There better be a couple of Patrice Bergerons coming today with those 2nd rounders or the 2015 draft will be botched just like the non drafting of Parise in 2003.

Along with Bergy's current contract, Seguin's deal is the best that the Bruins have signed since acquiring Chara and Savard in UFA. Much of the Bruins front office seem stuck in the CBA that ended 10 years ago, where players were under team control until they were 30, and thus players played for below their on ice value in their primes and cashed in for past performance in FA. Nowadays, with free agency approaching earlier, young players have more leverage- and they want their salary to reflect their level of play, not their age, which is hardly something you can blame them for. The league trend is to pay young players through their prime and spend less on FAs approaching 30... Bruins managment doesn't seem ready to accept this and they're paying dearly for it.

McQuaid's deal is another brick in the bruins wall of getting enarmored with non-core role players and overspending on them instead of finding cheap replacement within the organisation. They even have the perfect one in Kevan Miller, yet they gave an injury prone third pairing guy money and term. They did it before with the likes of Kelly, Peverley and Paille... I don't dislike any of them, but if you keep overpaying these complementary pieces, you're gonna run into cap trouble. Bruins managment doesn't seem to understand the concept of replacement level.

/rant

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
People saying Dougie wouldn't sign a bridge just don't fundamentally understands the process. at WORST we qualify him and go to bat against any offer sheets (and if none come he has to bridge with no arbitration rights). This stuff happens every year to one team or another. We take the pics in a big offer situation, and that's that. Only a sky-high offer hurts us, and then we get the bigger compensation. If the argument that you want picks in THIS year's draft is so important to you, then you don't blow that very pick on a guy you can snag with #37. Not to mention you traded Lucic anyway and have 2 picks at #13 and #14 already, so that #15 pick you so desperately wanted this year isn't remotely so urgent. So many logical problems with the execution of all this.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
So what's the real story? Hamilton would do 5.5 but he wanted less years so he could ask for 9 3 years from now? Or did he want a number the Bruins didn't feel comfortable giving now?

I just can't see any way trading Hamilton for that return makes sense

Coulda gone hard after Carolinas pick

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
So what's the real story? Hamilton would do 5.5 but he wanted less years so he could ask for 9 3 years from now? Or did he want a number the Bruins didn't feel comfortable giving now?

I just can't see any way trading Hamilton for that return makes sense

Coulda gone hard after Carolinas pick

If they weren't going to take a higher pick, they should have at least held out for a guy like Gaudreau

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
People saying Dougie wouldn't sign a bridge just don't fundamentally understands the process. at WORST we qualify him and go to bat against any offer sheets (and if none come he has to bridge with no arbitration rights). This stuff happens every year to one team or another. We take the pics in a big offer situation, and that's that. Only a sky-high offer hurts us, and then we get the bigger compensation. If the argument that you want picks in THIS year's draft is so important to you, then you don't blow that very pick on a guy you can snag with #37. Not to mention you traded Lucic anyway and have 2 picks at #13 and #14 already, so that #15 pick you so desperately wanted this year isn't remotely so urgent. So many logical problems with the execution of all this.

Very good post.

What we get out of it is the pick this year will be ready in 2 years. The fact there are 3 of them makes the return way better than anyone will admit since the 2nd rounders might be just as good. Calgary is better than Edmonton if Hamilton signs there sheet the pick is mid 20s in '16 and '17. But we could always trade him before it comes to that for a better (safer) return...like Nurse.

I just want to get rid of Chara at this point so we can give a new team and a new blue line a fresh start and have room to add whomever.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

It appears they didn't value the player as much as fans did and maybe other teams didn't either.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Very good post.

What we get out of it is the pick this year will be ready in 2 years. The fact there are 3 of them makes the return way better than anyone will admit since the 2nd rounders might be just as good. Calgary is better than Edmonton if Hamilton signs there sheet the pick is mid 20s in '16 and '17. But we could always trade him before it comes to that for a better (safer) return...like Nurse.

I just want to get rid of Chara at this point so we can give a new team and a new blue line a fresh start and have room to add whomever.

I don't think so. Zboril and Senyshyn are going to be back with their junior teams. In the case of Zboril for example, he won't bloom till his 20's at best as a dman. These guys won't be able to step in for 3 years in my opinion. The Pasta's of the world are the exception sadly, not the norm.

I at least hope these kids are left to develop properly, like Sweeney PROMISED.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
still no answer on why Hamilton wouldn't be comfortable signing here long term...

Thats the point he wasn't going to sign a long term contract with the Bruins. He would have signed an offersheet and been a Bruin against his will and the cap hit would have made him a villain to fans. There was no option to sign him he wanted to go to July 1 and get offer sheeted at a number the Bs don't want to match.

We took a risky return but its better than future late firsts from Calgary. However we still had plenty of leverage to get a player or something other than those 3 picks.

Chiarelli got himself a better fit anyway so it worked out for him not improving his offer for Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad