News Article: Fluto: By trading Dougie Hamilton, Update: Signs 6yrs/34.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
The part that's maddening about people judging Dougie is not what he is NOW. It's what he could be at age 25. At the second hardest position in the game, we traded a 22 year old who is on a career arc to be GREAT.

22 years old and he was already that good.

Considering they did the exact same thing with Seguin, I'm not that surprised.

The club is run by incompetent people with a vision nobody else in the league shares with them. They think they can do it in a way nobody else can. They can trade away franchise centermen and defensemen when they're 22 for scraps. Both might yet win Hart or Norris trophies. They can spend their first round picks on second and third round players. They can pay their bottom pairs and lines big money and long term while everyone else recommends to do the opposite. And when they finally get fired, they'll have earned so much money already they'll be set for life and be grumpy old men who complain how bad luck or exceptional circumstances let them down.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
People have been sure Dougie is a franchise defenseman for so long they are incapable of thinking anything else.

Sweeney might very well feel that Dougie will only be a very solid offensive defenseman for many years, but might never be a solid defender. Maybe he didn't want to pay 6.5 per for a offensive defensman for a real long term.

The return was weak, because of the Dougie hype. Sweeney, and tuns of people, have been terrified of an offer sheet for weeks. He wanted the picks this year.

I'm not sure an offer sheet was so sure. But Sweeneys actions scream it was.

I agree and it is pretty obvious Sweeney shared the sentiments you mention in regards to Hamilton . Wasn't Hamilton supposedly at odds with Julien all year ?

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Here's what I don't get: Bruins are trying to get younger and quicker apparently. Right? I mean they won't call this a rebuild, but trading 2 core guys and picking 3 spots in a row in the first round to me loudly says 'rebuild'.

So if you're going to rebuild and hand it over to the kids then why trade Dougie? If you're going for a youth movement then why not trade Chara instead? I mean I would personally keep both but if you insist on only paying one of them 7 mil then I go with the guy who's on the rise and fits today's NHL over the guy who is on the decline and wears 2 knee braces.

Sure now they've re-stocked the cupboard and may have some real good future players on their hands but when those kids are NHL players Chara will be gone and then who runs the D?

No they have not. The Bruins picked 20 spots below slot in the deepest draft in years. WTF! :rant:

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
I agree and it is pretty obvious Sweeney shared the sentiments you mention in regards to Hamilton . Wasn't Hamilton supposedly at odds with Julien all year ?

Has the spin doctoring started already? When Hamilton goes out the door, suddenly we'll hear news how he was a bad influence in the club? He didn't fall into the system? He didn't respect his coach's wishes?

Then of course in the new club it'll be so strange to us when everyone, including the teammates, are saying he's an exceptional community figure and a fan favorite.

Seguin trade all over again.

Baddkarma said:
No they have not. The Bruins picked 20 spots below slot in the deepest draft in years. WTF!

That's a good point to make. The pick was used on a second round player. Therefore Hamilton brought in three second rounders.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Has the spin doctoring started already? When Hamilton goes out the door, suddenly we'll hear news how he was a bad influence in the club? He didn't fall into the system? He didn't respect his coach's wishes?

Then of course in the new club it'll be so strange to us when everyone, including the teammates, are saying he's an exceptional community figure and a fan favorite.

Seguin trade all over again.

Nothing bad can be smeared on Hamilton, I don't even think Haggerty will try.

Calgary just got a defenseman that WILL score 60-70 points on average during his peak.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I just don't get the intention of all of this. Sweeney has said one thing, but has done the direct opposite to everything he as publically said.

If you are going with youth go all in, and make it apparent that is what you intend to do. To actually have made these moves, and state his intention was to make the playoffs is entirely perplexing.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Senyshyn and a couple 2nd's for Hamilton is a good deal. Trust me. I read a few scouting reports. He might be good in the future I think. Maybe. It's probably not as bad as most think, probably. On one hand you trade a 22 year old franchise player... But just think you get back three 18 year old players... count that THREE. Add that together and it's almost +40 or something like that.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

I didn't hear anything. But I'm sure you saw Clode's "wtf" face when Dougie would get toasted in his own zone. They always pan to the coach when someone screws up. At minimum, I'm sure a defensive coach like Clode had his questions about Dougie being any kind of truly "well-rounded" force moving forward.

I'm not mad at Dougie. It's good to be him. It's just tough to pay a guy upwards of 7 mil per hoping that someday he will develope the defensive game needed to be a franchise D.

I didn't see anything that said he'd be a plus defender. You can shout that he's 21 all you want. But we've had years and no hint of "shutdown" ability.

Basically, you have to pay him a large portion of your cap and just hope the lightbulb turns on.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Senyshyn and a couple 2nd's for Hamilton is a good deal. Trust me. I read a few scouting reports. He might be good in the future I think. Maybe. It's probably not as bad as most think, probably. On one hand you trade a 22 year old franchise player... But just think you get back three 18 year old players... count that THREE. Add that together and it's almost +40 or something like that.

this made me smile. I needed that.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
I just don't get the intention of all of this. Sweeney has said one thing, but has done the direct opposite to everything he as publically said.

If you are going with youth go all in, and make it apparent that is what you intend to do. To actually have made these moves, and state his intention was to make the playoffs is entirely perplexing.

The only thing that I can seriously take away right now is that the Bruins new management felt that Hamilton and Lucic did not match the "code" that Sweeney and Neely laid out at his intro presser. Maybe Dougies "aw shucks" type of attitude is just a ruse and he really thinks he is the same league with other elite 22-24 year old Norris caliber defenseman. We also know that Looch has some Dbaggery to his game and attitude, perhaps when factored in with the contract year the Bruins were willing make a deal. Perhaps, just trying :shakehead perhaps the Bruins are sending a message by clearing out the deadwood in the organizations eyes...

There, I tried to see it Sweeney's way. The Hamilton return was still a raging pool of diarrhea.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
James Mirtle reported they were offered "much higher" 1st round picks than 15th overall for Dougie. Anyone know which team(s)?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
James Mirtle reported they were offered "much higher" 1st round picks than 15th overall for Dougie. Anyone know which team(s)?

I'd guess the Flyers and Jackets definitely wanted Hamilton. Both were desperate to walk away with good D in draft. They ended up drafting Provorov and Werenski. So Boston could have gotten 7th or 8th overall.

Never got why teams are so ****ing afraid of trading in their own conference. You aren't trading Wayne Gretzky or Bobby Orr.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
really incredible quote that seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle:
during Sweeney's presser he mentioned that he hadn't spoken to Chiarelli today.

Chiarelli then gave up 16 and 33 for Reinhart. So Chia was willing to give up basically an equivalent package to what the Flames gave for Dougie and this was for a significantly less valuable prospect.

That Sweeney, knowing how badly Edmonton needs D, didn't give Chia a chance to beat the Flames offer today is just incredibly infuriating.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Well they weren't going to give us McDavid for Hamilton. This is only a miss if they were willing to give us #16 plus next year's 1st round pick.

I feel that missing out on pick #7 or #8 and getting #15 just because it's an in-conference trade is a worse miss. Shows that Sweeney makes moves based on fear rather than reward. Selling off Hamilton in the first place was inspired by fear of an offer sheet, which is rarely done, but would have given us better picks in return if it had materialized!

Chiarelli then gave up 16 and 33 for Reinhart. So Chia was willing to give up basically an equivalent package to what the Flames gave for Dougie and this was for a significantly less valuable prospect.

That Sweeney, knowing how badly Edmonton needs D, didn't give Chia a chance to beat the Flames offer today is just incredibly infuriating.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Well they weren't going to give us McDavid for Hamilton. This is only a miss if they were willing to give us #16 plus next year's 1st round pick.

I feel that missing out on pick #7 or #8 and getting #15 just because it's an in-conference trade is a worse miss. Shows that Sweeney makes moves based on fear rather than reward. Selling off Hamilton in the first place was inspired by fear of an offer sheet, which is rarely done, but would have given us better picks in return if it had materialized!

Here's another little under-the-radar quote that is pretty interesting:
The Flames GM in his presser said that if they offer-sheeted him they'd have given up less but they felt ok paying more to guarantee they got him.

So they gave up a 1st and two 2nds. If they'd have given up less on an offer sheet they must have been talking about the 1st, 2nd, 3rd compensation tier. Which means the potential offers sheet is something the Bruins certainly could have matched.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Here's the part I don't get.

If Hamilton is flawed enough to deal, then why not deal him within your conference? If he's asking too much, then let someone else overpay and take the cap hit. Take the best trade for the *Bruins*. He set this franchise back years with that deal.

And I worry he's going to overpay for the next Martin Lapointe on July 1 to put a Band-Aid on it.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Here's the part I don't get.

If Hamilton is flawed enough to deal, then why not deal him within your conference? If he's asking too much, then let someone else overpay and take the cap hit. Take the best trade for the *Bruins*. He set this franchise back years with that deal.

And I worry he's going to overpay for the next Martin Lapointe on July 1 to put a Band-Aid on it.

here's hoping every potential UFA is so horrified by what the Bruins did today that they won't want to sign here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Here's what I don't get: Bruins are trying to get younger and quicker apparently. Right? I mean they won't call this a rebuild, but trading 2 core guys and picking 3 spots in a row in the first round to me loudly says 'rebuild'.

So if you're going to rebuild and hand it over to the kids then why trade Dougie? If you're going for a youth movement then why not trade Chara instead? I mean I would personally keep both but if you insist on only paying one of them 7 mil then I go with the guy who's on the rise and fits today's NHL over the guy who is on the decline and wears 2 knee braces.

Sure now they've re-stocked the cupboard and may have some real good future players on their hands but when those kids are NHL players Chara will be gone and then who runs the D?

no clue and great point . Hanifan was the only guy I would have dealt Hamilton for

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

I'm so mad as an Oilers fan he didnt take the better Oilers offer. Didnt Chia get fired? Its not like he left Boston for Edmonton.

Why did Sweeney put his own ego against the interests of the best offer for his team?

What an awful way to start your role.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I still stick by "Neely is behind all this."

The last two big trades that involved our franchise players (Sequin and Hamilton) had ONE major thing in common: Cam Neely.

This is absurd. You keep a guy like Hamilton. Not trade him. I thought they learned from the Sequin deal. Hell, Sweeney alluded to that during his conference as bruins GM. This is an embarrassment. They had THREE first round picks, THREE. I figured, "OK. They're going to use 1 or 2 of their first round picks to get an established defensemen, or at least move in the top 10 to draft a key defenseman." What do they do? Draft three times consecutively ... draft two guys they could have had later on.

Little adjustments needed to be made on this team from the way 2014-2015 season ended. But NOT like this. I can live with Lucic being dealt, but Hamilton?! ****. No.

This team has taken 10 steps back. Their D corp is an absolute joke ... you have three years of Chara left to help the young D, and you do this?!!! Honestly, not for anything, but you might as well trade Chara and make him play on a contender with players to help out. If your rebuilding like this, no need for Chara (factoring his age and contract).

By the way, why is Chris Kelly still on this ****ing team?!

Next time there is an annual meeting with the season ticket holders and management at the garden, someone should just ****ing blast management.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Sens fan here

i dont want to cause you more pain but realistically how long do you think it would take to build the Bruins into a cup contender again?

how long will it take to fix the damage done today assuming no more damage gets done?

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I hate this trade.

The Bruins got fleeced and that's the case even if they hadn't wasted the #16 pick on a second round player.

While Hamilton may not be the next Chara I do think he's likely to be a legit top 2 Dman. Paired with a really good stay at home guy and he really would blossom. I think he struggled this last season but he's young, was skating more minutes than he was ready for and development as a Dman takes time with a lot of two steps forward, one step back.

I think he was worth 7 million. I have no clue what the FO was thinking when they traded him for the 16th and two seconds.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Sens fan here

i dont want to cause you more pain but realistically how long do you think it would take to build the Bruins into a cup contender again?

how long will it take to fix the damage done today assuming no more damage gets done?

I think absent some other amazing move(s) it will take at least 2 years to be even remotely contending for a playoff spot much less the cup. I think the Bruins have sold the farm and still can't draft and that in combination with other teams getting much better and with younger players it may take 3-5 but by then Bergy and Krejci will have seen their best years gone and Chara will be gone and who knows what the defense will look like.

fake british accent

Aug 11, 2006
www.exceptionalautobody.com
When the Bruins were 'cheap' during the Sinden/O'Connell era, they were trying to base their economic decisions on a system they believed should exist, but didn't actually exist. And the teams sucked.

They are doing the same thing again. Claude's comments were telling. The reality is youth wins so youth will get paid. Adjust to the reality of the era, don't fight it.

I hope Sweeney is in the initial phases of a proactive gameplan to shed prohibitive salaries but i fear we are back to the archaic Bruins economic model of paying for seniority.

The McQuaid deal is my least favorite transaction from today for those reasons.

At least a lot of the O'Connell era draft picks contributed to 2011 so we got something to look forward to next decade.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
Sens fan here

This team has won ONE ****ing cup in my almost 40 years on this planet. I don't even want to THINK about how long it might take to fix. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad