The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Bruins trade tiers: Who’s movable and who’s untouchable

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Honestly ask yourself....has a team that was 1st overall in the regular season, the league's best GAA in the regular season ever decided to do a rebuild the following year?

This isn't a bad team. They have most of their group under contract. Sadly this board will spend most of next season constantly harping that they aren't as good as TB, a team two wins away from a cup.

I can see letting Chara walk. I can see even looking around to maybe move Rask and bring in someone else (they can't just go with Halak/Vlader next year, that's a playoff DNQ waiting to happen).

But if they are going to start looking at moving Krejci or Rask for picks/prospects, then why stop there? Just as well go all the way and start seeing what they can get for Bergeron and Marchand too.

To answer your first question (assuming that it wasn't rhetorical): no. However, I believe that the current core can no longer get it done to win another Stanley Cup. So, I've suggested that Boston do a retool/small rebuild and have been proposing that Chara not be brought back and that Rask (if he doesn't retire) and Krejci be traded. For the latter two, at least Boston would get some assets (players and/or picks) back instead of letting them walk away for nothing at the end of next season.

As for "why stop there?", the obvious point is that both Marchand and Bergeron both have NMCs (well, Bergeron has a list of three teams where can be traded to, beginning next season) and I doubt that management is entertaining dealing either one. The Bruins can still ice a playoff team without Krug, Chara, Rask and Krejci. The current core isn't going to win another Stanley Cup, anyway, so why not remake the team, bring in some younger blood, recoup draft picks and build for the future?

Reactions: duffy

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
To answer your first question (assuming that it wasn't rhetorical): no. However, I believe that the current core can no longer get it done to win another Stanley Cup. So, I've suggested that Boston do a retool/small rebuild and have been proposing that Chara not be brought back and that Rask (if he doesn't retire) and Krejci be traded. For the latter two, at least Boston would get some assets (players and/or picks) back instead of letting them walk away for nothing at the end of next season.

As for "why stop there?", the obvious point is that both Marchand and Bergeron both have NMCs (well, Bergeron has a list of three teams where can be traded to, beginning next season) and I doubt that management is entertaining dealing either one. The Bruins can still ice a playoff team without Krug, Chara, Rask and Krejci. The current core isn't going to win another Stanley Cup, anyway, so why not remake the team, bring in some younger blood, recoup draft picks and build for the future?

Krug is gone. Chara I mean I see a role for him here next year. I always saw the 2021 off-season as the turning point for this franchise, not this off-season.

I mean moving Krejci and Rask for picks/prospects? I don't see the point, I don't see you getting 1st rounder or A-level prospects for either. Rask is a huge question mark for ALL GMs until we know for sure what the format of next season is. I've outlined a bunch of times in other threads (and probably this one too) that Krejci's value in this off-season isn't great. He actually has more value at next years deadline when most of his money is paid and the cap hit is much lower. Weakening next years team just to recoup mid-range assets? I don't see the point. By the time any of those assets are ready to help the Bruins, Bergeron will be gone and Marchand not far behind.

I'm OK with bringing in some young blood. Let Nordstrom walk. Send Lindholm to the minors. Send Moore packing. Don't resign Miller. Create some roster spots for the likes of Zboril/Senyshyn/Kuhlman/Frederic/Studnicka/Lauzon/Bjork/etc. to compete for. Try to add a solid player or two closer to the top of the roster.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
What did home ice advantage do for them in last year's final?

Covid is something that all teams encountered with no home ice advantage, you just have to suck it up and do your best in this environment.

The Bruins really do need a re-tooling as shown by their lack of offensive prowess. You can only hang on for so long with 1 line producing and Bergeron is not getting any younger. To me Krecji and Bergeron are becoming quite fragile due to their years of wear and tear.

I would not blame it on Covid but the Bruins inability to come back due to their current situation was a major factor.
Well they also won three rounds with home ice advantage

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yup! Missed it.

I hope folks don’t mistake my feeling that Rask will be dealt for desire. I’m a forever Tuukka fanboy and I don’t blame him one iota for his decision to head home. I just know that there are countless other Bruins fans who disagree with me. Coupled with his salary and management’s ambition to shake up the roster, a trade feels like a likely outcome.

I don't think it will happen. They're quite poor at trading NHL level talent. They have little (proven) in the cupboard, and one more year of Rask & Halak will tide them over until next season.

If that's the case, they can monitor DV, et. al. and watch their progression. If these prospects don't improve appreciably over the coming year, then it's time to act.

They don't have any good options at present to solidify let alone improve their goaltending situation.

So, sit tight.

Fairly or unfairly, Rask is certainly going to hear it from a significant portion of the fan base.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hmmmmm, I've heard this before. ;)

Even in your post though, there are a significant amount of moving parts that you feel need to happen to get a kick at the can. More than what happens in a typical offseason, that's for sure. Subtract two top 4 defenders, add one, add a top 6 winger, shop your starting goalie. That's blow it up stuff you're talking about....and all needs to be done within a significantly shortened offseason.

Say for example, Colorado calls you up and says "Hey, we're all in, we'll give you Compher, Newhook, and Byram for Bergeron", I sure as hell am not saying no to that because we want a feel good story of Bergeron riding off into the sunset here.

In my mind, I agree that no one is untouchable ever, but especially anyone above 30. The Bruins will be around much longer than anyone on the roster, so the goal should always be improve the franchise.

Maybe. But I'm against it. Many are far too willing to toss a great player aside who has given everything to the organization, and to the fan base.

Patrice should finish his career properly, as a Bruin.

Unless Sweeney and Neely are capable, and willing, to significantly remake the roster -- which I doubt -- they are headed for mediocrity regardless.

I go back and forth about this but today, that's the call.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Well they also won three rounds with home ice advantage
Close means very little and I think this team as is will not advance to the finals again. If fans are willing to go 1 or 2 rounds in the playoffs well then stand pat.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Let’s talk Josh Anderson

he’s available and Bruins have the Cap room and the space as well as likely players they could toss back

RFA

1/3 in 26 Games

just what is he really ?

My TAKE

I’m Columbus I’m scared shitless paying this guy

Bruins ?

I see him playing the MoJo part heavier game, different style but effective

slot him on third line next to Coyle - big heavy line with two guys who’ve atleast scored 20 goals in a season

I don’t see him anywhere but third line so that’s his value - gambling on his health and not paying for 2018-19 in salary or return

you basically have to end the Senyshyn in Boston which many will have no problem

what’s it going to cost?

0.0 I give up Frederic or Vaakanainen

Bjork seems logical

Obviously in no position to know how they feel about Zboril, Senyshyn etc

Reactions: Absurdity

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Let’s talk Josh Anderson

he’s available and Bruins have the Cap room and the space as well as likely players they could toss back

RFA

1/3 in 26 Games

just what is he really ?

My TAKE

I’m Columbus I’m scared shitless paying this guy

Bruins ?

I see him playing the MoJo part heavier game, different style but effective

slot him on third line next to Coyle - big heavy line with two guys who’ve atleast scored 20 goals in a season

I don’t see him anywhere but third line so that’s his value - gambling on his health and not paying for 2018-19 in salary or return

you basically have to end the Senyshyn in Boston which many will have no problem

what’s it going to cost?

0.0 I give up Frederic or Vaakanainen

Bjork seems logical

Obviously in no position to know how they feel about Zboril, Senyshyn etc
Assuming he can pass an in depth physical of his shoulder I'd be interested, especially for Bjork whom I feel doesn't have a spot here no matter how I fudge with the lineup

Reactions: duffy and Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Assuming he can pass an in depth physical of his shoulder I'd be interested, especially for Bjork whom I feel doesn't have a spot here no matter how I fudge with the lineup

That would be it and I have also been concerned by some reports that is not a good guy to have in the room. The Bruins would have to do some serious vetting of him for sure.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Close means very little and I think this team as is will not advance to the finals again. If fans are willing to go 1 or 2 rounds in the playoffs well then stand pat.
Oh my mantra was 2020 cup or bust. Going to the finals 2 strait year doesnt happen often. All I wanted was a cup. We didn’t do enough the past two years to do that. Let’s hope the right moves happen and we can celebrate in 2021.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Let’s talk Josh Anderson

Problem with Anderson is he's a pure rental IMO. He's an RFA with arbitration rights and is likely going on a one-year deal next year and a UFA the year after.

If he comes back and returns to 20+ goal scorer Anderson, than he's looking at a big payday next summer.

If he comes back and can't stay healthy or perform/produce, they won't want him back anyways.

If he comes back and returns to 20+ goal scorer Anderson, he could easily get hurt in 2020-21, revert back to 2019-20 Anderson, which is basically Matt Belesky all over again.

So what do you give to CBJ for a one-year rental gamble? Not much IMO.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Hearing it’s a done deal - Chiasson from EDM for Bjork. Doesn’t really make me giddy I’d much rather KEEP BJORK

Here’s what Chiasson brings

Alex Chiasson is a keeper for Edmonton Oilers but Jujhar Khaira? Hmm
If that's who the Bruins target with assets, I've officially given up on their pro scouting team.

Type of player that can be had via free agency and for cheaper. Why bother giving up any assets for a guy like that when the team has much bigger issues to resolve than the bottom 6.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Would you trade a 23 year old 2nd line winger for a 37 year old defensemen with a cap hit of over $5.5 million for the next 3 seasons ( not 2 seasons like you said ) ???? I kind of doubt it.
if the cap situation came down to it and i was still trying to compete yes. are you keeping krug chara? who are your left D going forward if you cant afford krug?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hearing it’s a done deal - Chiasson from EDM for Bjork. Doesn’t really make me giddy I’d much rather KEEP BJORK

Here’s what Chiasson brings

Alex Chiasson is a keeper for Edmonton Oilers but Jujhar Khaira? Hmm
He’s on my SIM team ~ I have watched him since college and his four goals in four NHL games debut

I would rather have Bjork

That said I’m surprised Bjork didn’t develop

something just not right watching him

this could work well for him but it just wasn’t happening here sadly

would I do this trade ? I could probably talked in either way

if Frederic wasn’t coming along, they had Ritchie

my concern is Chiasson isn’t the answer and does this kill the chance Senyshyn has

Chiasson seems like he’s the third line RW and that does not excite me

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
if the cap situation came down to it and i was still trying to compete yes. are you keeping krug chara? who are your left D going forward if you cant afford krug?
Grzelcyk & Lauzon would be in my lineup

they have John Moore.

then 3 young LHD in Zboril who came on very well as the best D in Providence on the best season record AHL team

Uhro Vaakanainen ~ very high floor maybe not a high ceiling but lot of good stuff they covert. Needs to get stronger and gain experience also not part of expansion protection

Jack Ahcan was #1 college FA and plays the Krug role~ he’s clearly being fast tracked as his agent had over 20 teams come after him

my take is Sweeney has 5 LHD + Ahcan & maybe Chara

he’s good and but more importantly I am

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad