The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Bruins trade tiers: Who’s movable and who’s untouchable

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don Sweeney is making and taking phone calls. The Bruins general manager is anxious to deal to improve his aging roster.

Sweeney’s challenge is to obtain value for players who aren’t necessarily among the trade market’s leaders. It’s one thing, for example, for Toronto to receive a first-rounder from Pittsburgh as part of a package for 24-year-old Kasperi Kapanen (36 points, $3.2 million average annual value). Whether a similar market exists for 24-year-old Anders Bjork (19 points, $1.6 million) remains to be seen.

Following are the tiers for 34 players in the organization. They’re classified by six categories of calls Sweeney would have with his fellow GMs.

1. Don’t bother calling

W Brad Marchand
D Charlie McAvoy
W David Pastrnak

2. Make it fast, I’m hanging up soon

C John Beecher
C/W Jack Studnicka
G Jeremy Swayman

3. I’ll listen, but I’m not really listening

C Patrice Bergeron
C/W Charlie Coyle
G Jaroslav Halak
G Tuukka Rask

4. Let’s talk business

W Anders Bjork
W Anton Blidh
D Connor Clifton
C Trent Frederic
D Steve Kampfer
G Kyle Keyser
W Karson Kuhlman
C Jakub Lauko
D Jeremy Lauzon
D John Moore
W Zach Senyshyn
C/W Oskar Steen
D Urho Vaakanainen
G Dan Vladar
W Chris Wagner
D Jakub Zboril

5. All ears if you’ve got a serious hockey deal

D Brandon Carlo
W Jake DeBrusk
D Matt Grzelcyk
W Ondrej Kase
W Nick Ritchie

6. Call back near the deadline

C David Krejci
C/W Sean Kuraly
C/W Par Lindholm

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
How Bergeron isn't in the first tier is beyond me.

removing the laundry and looking objectively.

aging center who cant stay healthy only playing 64, 65, 61 games the last 3 seasons. 2 weak playoffs by his standards the past 2 seasons as well.

Now, obviously you never trade Bergeron, come hell or high water he retires a Bruin. But just thinking what an outsider would say on the situation. Basically, the Belichick evaluation of an aging player

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think he's wrong on Rask. I don't think for a second DS wouldn't listen on him. In fact I bet he's calling.

And the Bergeron thing is silly. Nobody would bother to call on him and DS would have to be overpaid triple to move the guy. He's a legend and still a top 3 player on the team.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think he's wrong on Rask. I don't think for a second DS wouldn't listen on him. In fact I bet he's calling.

And the Bergeron thing is silly. Nobody would bother to call on him and DS would have to be overpaid triple to move the guy. He's a legend and still a top 3 player on the team.

They said all the right things at the time, but I could see them dealing him...They have honestly never seemed to be his biggest fans.

Last edited:

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Why is Debrusk and Ritchie in the same tier?

SO TRUE!!!!

Q7Tx.gif

Reactions: mg08 and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad