The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Bruins trade tiers: Who’s movable and who’s untouchable

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
We’re not really listening to offers for our backup goalie that played poorly in his unexpected run of playoff starts?
GM: Don, listen, I want to know what it would take for us to land Halak. I’ll give you anything
DS: naaah

makes sense

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
The worst part was I heard Toucher and Rich talking about this, this morning.

this team just won the presidents trophy. Yes they need to change and get better, but aren’t talking blowing it up.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
We come within one game of a cup, win a president’s trophy get a bum deal with all this Covid and people keep complaining as if we suck. Don’t get it. And ya I wanted a cup as bad as any one.
Yes within 1 win of a cup, but did anyone actually have confidence in game 7 against the Blues once they were down. Won the president's trophy but with a lot of work on defence but not a confident offensive team.

Covid is a part of everyone's life not just the Bruins.

Time is running out on the contribution that will be felt from the older players. Bergeron and Krejci should be traded if the right deals come along. Rask can be moved for sure. Sorry, but I think Chara's time is up and he is on the decline.

Scoring has to be of great concern, has been for years and Sweeney just cannot seem to improve the situation. The defense is okay but could probably use maybe 1 established vet, the offense on the other hand is diminishing and some new blood is definitely required.

I think they stand pat and you will see this team's performance decrease immensely. You can keep all the old horses you want but you cannot defy aging and many years of injuries.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Yes within 1 win of a cup, but did anyone actually have confidence in game 7 against the Blues once they were down. Won the president's trophy but with a lot of work on defence but not a confident offensive team.

Time is running out on the contribution that will be felt from the older players. Bergeron and Krejci should be traded if the right deals come along. Rask can be moved for sure. Sorry, but I think Chara's time is up and he is on the decline.

Scoring has to be of great concern, has been for years and Sweeney just cannot seem to improve the situation. The defense is okay but could probably use maybe 1 established vet, the offense on the other hand is diminishing and some new blood is definitely required.

I think they stand pat and you will see this team's performance decrease immensely. You can keep all the old horses you want but you cannot defy aging and many years of injuries.
This ^ agree completely. We all have our favs and sentiment says we want them to retire as Bruins, but this is a business and players get paid big money, when it is time to move them you do it. Belichick runs the Pats that way and has proved to be very successful.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Covid. The Bruins loos3 home ice advantage though out the playoffs. They were playing so well before covid

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Covid. The Bruins loos3 home ice advantage though out the playoffs. They were playing so well before covid
What did home ice advantage do for them in last year's final?

Covid is something that all teams encountered with no home ice advantage, you just have to suck it up and do your best in this environment.

The Bruins really do need a re-tooling as shown by their lack of offensive prowess. You can only hang on for so long with 1 line producing and Bergeron is not getting any younger. To me Krecji and Bergeron are becoming quite fragile due to their years of wear and tear.

I would not blame it on Covid but the Bruins inability to come back due to their current situation was a major factor.

Reactions: Estlin

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Covid is something that all teams encountered with no home ice advantage, you just have to suck it up and do your best in this environment.

The Bruins really do need a re-tooling as shown by their lack of offensive prowess. You can only hang on for so long with 1 line producing and Bergeron is not getting any younger. To me Krecji and Bergeron are becoming quite fragile due to their years of wear and tear.

I would not blame it on Covid but the Bruins inability to come back due to their current situation was a major factor.

Sure they can still compete at a high level, but to be a real contender I say they need to be brutally honest about center ice. If the Bruins are going to be "brutally honest" as they say, they'll have to determine if the leagues oldest top two centers at ages 34 and 35 will continue to fight their chronic injuries they've pushed through the last few seasons. One or both could very likely be playing next season at 70%, or even be out of the lineup for an extended period of time. I think they are both great players, but being "brutally honest" for a cup run must address that possibility if you're asking who is movable or untouchable.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The worst part was I heard Toucher and Rich talking about this, this morning.

this team just won the presidents trophy. Yes they need to change and get better, but aren’t talking blowing it up.

President's trophy means nothing when the cup is awarded. I think the finals appearance and the President's trophy is the peak of the current core, and unless changes are made, then it's time to move on from some players we have sentimental attachment to.

I don't think they are blowing it up, but I think they are having a long hard decision if they think the current core can do that, and who needs to go in order to make the changes in that direction.

What I think will happen. a few minor changes. Maybe one or two of Debrusk, Carlo, Gryz are moved. And a single not-elite UFA signs here. Krug walks, and everyone from the 2011 team that remains... will be here until deadline.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Sure they can still compete at a high level, but to be a real contender I say they need to be brutally honest about center ice. If the Bruins are going to be "brutally honest" as they say, they'll have to determine if the leagues oldest top two centers at ages 34 and 35 will continue to fight their chronic injuries they've pushed through the last few seasons. One or both could very likely be playing next season at 70%, or even be out of the lineup for an extended period of time. I think they are both great players, but being "brutally honest" for a cup run must address that possibility if you're asking who is movable or untouchable.

I think of the end of the Datsyuk and Zetterberg era of Detroit. Hanging on too long. If we aren't careful, the Detroit form of post 2010 could be our future.

Reactions: bbfan419 and mjhfb

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
President's trophy means nothing when the cup is awarded. I think the finals appearance and the President's trophy is the peak of the current core, and unless changes are made, then it's time to move on from some players we have sentimental attachment to.

I don't think they are blowing it up, but I think they are having a long hard decision if they think the current core can do that, and who needs to go in order to make the changes in that direction.

What I think will happen. a few minor changes. Maybe one or two of Debrusk, Carlo, Gryz are moved. And a single not-elite UFA signs here. Krug walks, and everyone from the 2011 team that remains... will be here until deadline.

Agreed. I've said the same thing. Boston needs to say goodbye to Chara, Rask and Krejci. Krug is pretty much gone. The team needs to retool/undergo a small rebuild. What will probably happen, unfortunately, will be that management (probably from pressure from ownership) will attempt to give it one more go with the current core. That would be folly.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Reallyhard to grasp these tiers IMO, why is 5 under 4 when they seem to be descending in value/likeliness for the others. And why is Bergeron in tier 3? Why isn't Ritchie in 5?

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
I think of the end of the Datsyuk and Zetterberg era of Detroit. Hanging on too long. If we aren't careful, the Detroit form of post 2010 could be our future.

I know where you are coming from and the idea has crossed my mind, but there's a major difference. The Bruins are nowhere near the contract nightmare Detroit got itself into. Their situation is slowly getting better, but they will still have $15+ million against the cap with Abdelkader, Frans, DeKeyser and Stephen Weiss [who was bought out in 2015 (!)] next season. It's pretty hard having to rebuild AND dump contracts.

I think the Bruins situation would be more like the Rangers, who have done a good job (as well as getting Oilers level of lucky with the draft picks).

Reactions: bbfan419

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Reallyhard to grasp these tiers IMO, why is 5 under 4 when they seem to be descending in value/likeliness for the others. And why is Bergeron in tier 3? Why isn't Ritchie in 5?

It's Fluto. You don't try to understand, you just sit back and enjoy the magic that is him.

Reactions: Merrrlin

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I know where you are coming from and the idea has crossed my mind, but there's a major difference. The Bruins are nowhere near the contract nightmare Detroit got itself into. Their situation is slowly getting better, but they will still have $15+ million against the cap with Abdelkader, Frans, DeKeyser and Stephen Weiss [who was bought out in 2015 (!)] next season. It's pretty hard having to rebuild AND dump contracts.

I think the Bruins situation would be more like the Rangers, who have done a good job (as well as getting Oilers level of lucky with the draft picks).

Agree about the financials, but the way I read it was that Bergeron and Krejci are similar in age and importance as that era Detroit. I think it was 2014 playoffs when they played each other, and I remember Babcock grilled after they lost firing back that the Bruins top two centers were in their prime, and his were not.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed. I've said the same thing. Boston needs to say goodbye to Chara, Rask and Krejci. Krug is pretty much gone. The team needs to retool/undergo a small rebuild. What will probably happen, unfortunately, will be that management (probably from pressure from ownership) will attempt to give it one more go with the current core. That would be folly.

Honestly ask yourself....has a team that was 1st overall in the regular season, the league's best GAA in the regular season ever decided to do a rebuild the following year?

This isn't a bad team. They have most of their group under contract. Sadly this board will spend most of next season constantly harping that they aren't as good as TB, a team two wins away from a cup.

I can see letting Chara walk. I can see even looking around to maybe move Rask and bring in someone else (they can't just go with Halak/Vlader next year, that's a playoff DNQ waiting to happen).

But if they are going to start looking at moving Krejci or Rask for picks/prospects, then why stop there? Just as well go all the way and start seeing what they can get for Bergeron and Marchand too.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Keith for Debrusk resigned at 4.5-5?? Keith has 2 years left at 5.5 and about 2-3 left of good play. replaces krugs minutes easily.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Oh I agree. We need changes.

Reactions: bbfan419

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Keith for Debrusk resigned at 4.5-5?? Keith has 2 years left at 5.5 and about 2-3 left of good play. replaces krugs minutes easily.

Keith has " 2-3 years left of good play " - where has that good play been the last few seasons ???? Anyway..........

giphy.gif

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Keith has " 2-3 years left of good play " - where has that good play been the last few seasons ???? Anyway..........

giphy.gif
well someone hasnt watched the blackhawks. on track for 36 points, logging 24 min a game, penalty kill anchor. he would be your 3rd best d man if krug is gone.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
well someone hasnt watched the blackhawks. on track for 36 points, logging 24 min a game, penalty kill anchor. he would be your 3rd best d man if krug is gone.

Would you trade a 23 year old 2nd line winger for a 37 year old defensemen with a cap hit of over $5.5 million for the next 3 seasons ( not 2 seasons like you said ) ???? I kind of doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad