The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Bruins trade tiers: Who’s movable and who’s untouchable

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Fluto showing us all what he knows about hockey column after column. Sadly for us all, it's very little. No shit you'd be willing to move anyone from the long list of look alike/play alike JAGs they've amassed, but what upgrades can you make from moving the John Moores of the world? What roster holes can you fill by dangling AHL caliber stiffs like Blidh?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Doesn't mean I think the Bruins should blow it up and trade everyone else, but realistically, group 1 should be the only untouchables. I would add Bergeron to that list, but I think you can also question if Marchand should be there as well.

Reactions: bruins19

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I would rather have a column about Don Sweeney or better yet Charlie Jacobs being specific they are or are not spending to Cap

I don’t see how they can be below a flat cap but ......

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Plus his groin is becoming an issue :(
I was kidding he’s fine to me barring Cedric Paquette cheap shot but you are correct that’s a concern on longevity ~ but he ain’t going anywhere without his request

Reactions: BMC

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
They said all the right things at the time, but I could see them dealing him...They have honestly never seemed to be his biggest fans.
I agree.

They’ve attempted to deal him in the past and they’ve never had a more glaring reason (excuse) to do so than they do right now. The fan base here won’t soon forget Tuukka’s decision coupled with the disappointing early playoff exit. Any cracks in Rask’s game and the fans will nail his feet to the floor.

I could see a draft pick with some salary being retained. Only thing hampering some big time roster moves this offseason is that it seems there are a plethora of teams in the same position. Going to be very interesting.

Reactions: Estlin and Gordoff

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Fluto Strikes again.

Title is who's movable and who's untouchable...two categories. Fluto somehow turns it into six categories in his article.

K.I.S.S......Keep It Simple Stupid ("great advice, hurts my feelings every time").

Although, it should be three categories:

1. You have to get stupid (Fluto Article Stupid) and blow me away

2. Available in a value for value hockey trade

3. Sure, if you really want him

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I agree.

They’ve attempted to deal him in the past and they’ve never had a more glaring reason (excuse) to do so than they do right now. The fan base here won’t soon forget Tuukka’s decision coupled with the disappointing early playoff exit. Any cracks in Rask’s game and the fans will nail his feet to the floor.

I could see a draft pick with some salary being retained. Only thing hampering some big time roster moves this offseason is that it seems there are a plethora of teams in the same position. Going to be very interesting.
Unkown Caller.PNG

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

member 96824

How Bergeron isn't in the first tier is beyond me.

I'd listen on offers for Bergeron to be honest. It makes sense if you believe we don't have the roster to compete for a cup during the rest of Bergeron's prime

Right now it's "all we need is a top 6 forward, one or two top 4 defenders, and confirmation our starting goalie is actually going to play and we'll be golden!" so I mean...

As a kid, I never thought I'd see Paul Pierce play in anything but a Celtics uniform, however...dealing him (in the right deal) has provided significantly more joy than watching the Celts have a couple extra 1st or 2nd round knockouts while Pierce pushed closer to 40 years old.

Of course, all depends on the deal. Trade him for anything you can get? No. Trade him for a deal that sets the Bruins up well over the long term? You have to listen to it.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'd listen on offers for Bergeron to be honest. It makes sense if you believe we don't have the roster to compete for a cup during the rest of Bergeron's prime

Right now it's "all we need is a top 6 forward, one or two top 4 defenders, and confirmation our starting goalie is actually going to play and we'll be golden!" so I mean...

As a kid, I never thought I'd see Paul Pierce play in anything but a Celtics uniform, however...dealing him (in the right deal) has provided significantly more joy than watching the Celts have a couple extra 1st or 2nd round knockouts while Pierce pushed closer to 40 years old.

Of course, all depends on the deal. Trade him for anything you can get? No. Trade him for a deal that sets the Bruins up well over the long term? You have to listen to it.

I don't know...I still think people are overreacting to this TB series loss. Not having Rask was a huge hit. Lot of mediocre goals scored against them in that TB series and that hurts a team's psyche. This team still ran away with the Presidents Trophy. I think folks need to stop acting like a rebuild is imminent. The only aging star on this team who looked cooked was Chara, and they can lose him without a step backwards. Even Krejci was dominant for much of the playoffs. This team still has a very good core for the next few years, and I'd play that out before I considered selling off arguably their best overall player, playing a key position.

I'd let Krug and Chara walk, look to trade Rask or have a serious conversation with him, try to snag a solid LD and a top 6 scorer and take another 1-2 kicks at the can.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I've already posted somewhere in these threads that at least one GM has called and kicked the tires on Rask.

You might have missed it? :dunno::dunno:
Yup! Missed it.

I hope folks don’t mistake my feeling that Rask will be dealt for desire. I’m a forever Tuukka fanboy and I don’t blame him one iota for his decision to head home. I just know that there are countless other Bruins fans who disagree with me. Coupled with his salary and management’s ambition to shake up the roster, a trade feels like a likely outcome.

member 96824

This team still ran away with the Presidents Trophy. I think folks need to stop acting like a rebuild is imminent. The only aging star on this team who looked cooked was Chara, and they can lose him without a step backwards. Even Krejci was dominant for much of the playoffs. This team still has a very good core for the next few years, and I'd play that out before I considered selling off arguably their best overall player, playing a key position..

Hmmmmm, I've heard this before. ;)

Even in your post though, there are a significant amount of moving parts that you feel need to happen to get a kick at the can. More than what happens in a typical offseason, that's for sure. Subtract two top 4 defenders, add one, add a top 6 winger, shop your starting goalie. That's blow it up stuff you're talking about....and all needs to be done within a significantly shortened offseason.

Say for example, Colorado calls you up and says "Hey, we're all in, we'll give you Compher, Newhook, and Byram for Bergeron", I sure as hell am not saying no to that because we want a feel good story of Bergeron riding off into the sunset here.

In my mind, I agree that no one is untouchable ever, but especially anyone above 30. The Bruins will be around much longer than anyone on the roster, so the goal should always be improve the franchise.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Hmmmmm, I've heard this before. ;)

Even in your post though, there are a significant amount of moving parts that you feel need to happen to get a kick at the can. More than what happens in a typical offseason, that's for sure. Subtract two top 4 defenders, add one, add a top 6 winger, shop your starting goalie. That's blow it up stuff you're talking about....and all needs to be done within a significantly shortened offseason.

Say for example, Colorado calls you up and says "Hey, we're all in, we'll give you Compher, Newhook, and Byram for Bergeron", I sure as hell am not saying no to that because we want a feel good story of Bergeron riding off into the sunset here.

In my mind, I agree that no one is untouchable ever, but especially anyone above 30. The Bruins will be around much longer than anyone on the roster, so the goal should always be improve the franchise.

Who am I to disagree with you? But the bolded? This offseason will be 3 months at minimum. What is a normal offseason?

member 96824

Who am I to disagree with you? But the bolded? This offseason will be 3 months at minimum. What is a normal offseason?

Draft first week of October, NHL games starting right after Christmas. That's pretty quick!

I guess I haven't seen if they're planning on any camps or anything like that, so we might see moves "later" in the offseason than normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->