The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: ‘What is the purpose of this rule?’: Bruce Cassidy laments a game-changing offside challenge

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
NHL: "We want more goals!"

Also NHL: "Wait, lets disallow this because his skate was in the air or over the blue line by a third of an inch"
Are you sure that it wasn't a half an inch? LOL "Let's get it right!":sarcasm:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It’s like the puck being shot into the crowd.

Once you have a rule in place, it’s hard to allow officials’ discretion into the equation.

Who is to say what’s obvious and what’s not?
The word obvious should be the key here. If they have to look at reviews for going on five minutes, then it's simply not conclusive.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
So it has to be a stick you're controlling the puck with?

Rule 83:

"A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leading edge of the blue line regardless of the position of his stick. However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered "off-side," provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line."

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
If he had control of it, he would've kicked it in front of himself, not had it deflect behind him.

I've seen Ex-NHLers tweet that they were pretty convinced Coyle had possession and control. I personally think he absolutely did. Was he in before the puck? Yea, by like 2 millimeters... and he was in control/possession. It's over and done with but I think they blew it, and I'm almost glad because maybe it'll make the NHL make some corrective action to the current rule.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I've seen Ex-NHLers tweet that they were pretty convinced Coyle had possession and control. I personally think he absolutely did. Was he in before the puck? Yea, by like 2 millimeters... and he was in control/possession. It's over and done with but I think they blew it, and I'm almost glad because maybe it'll make the NHL make some corrective action to the current rule.

2 ex-Bruins no doubt. :)

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Disagree. He didn't direct anything. He didn't move his skate, change its angle, nothing. It hit him. It may seem like nit-picking, but it isn't. There's a practical difference between having a puck simply hit your skate and you kicking/directing it where you want.

The bolded is the key. He didn't use a kicking motion here. Kicking shows a degree of control over where the puck is going. That didn't happen in the Coyle play.
He is an NHLer. He doesn't need to.

Reactions: Strafer

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I don't get this line of thinking.

The rule is that no player can enter the zone before the puck. Either offsides or not. Video showed it to be offsides.

Just sour grapes. Its expected from the fans, though it was surprising from this coach.
My thoughts are that this rule was meant to avoid blatant mistake. In my pov, if you need to take 10 minutes to conclude an offside, it is probably not that easy to take the decision and it might confirm what i think. We have the image before and after the puck crosses the line. Nothing when it crosses the line. Can’t comment on what the referee saw.. but it took what 10minutes.....so i beleive i am in right to beleive that their call might have been taken on a non conclusive image !

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I don't get this line of thinking.

The rule is that no player can enter the zone before the puck. Either offsides or not. Video showed it to be offsides.

Just sour grapes. Its expected from the fans, though it was surprising from this coach.

agreed... when you ONLY complain if it goes against your team than It does send the wrong message

thats why we MUST COMPLAIN every single time it happens... even when its FOR our team

the rule itself is the crap... not whether it goes for or against your team.

goalies must be protected from injury... it sucks anytime one is hurt. most teams entire season relies on the health of their starting goalie. goalies are not part of the play and are not expected to get hurt. they are stationary trapped in their net. we need to give players the greatest possible disincentive to crash the net in a wreckless way. even if the goalie wasnt hurt on this particular play, we still must establish a mind set to the players that they have to take extreme precautions not to injure goalies.

people say they dont know what goalie interference is... thats because they are worried whether a goalie was prevented to make a save. the important element was, is the goalie being put in danger of injury?

there are no injury issues at the blueline... but to make the game exciting there is a rule that players cant 'camp' out in the offensive zone and cherry pick. thats what the offside rule was created for. no one honestly cares if a player in rush on the flank is one step ahead of the puck carrier as they go down the ice. it doesnt matter at the red line... your own blue line... the faceoffdots… it really really really doesnt matter.

an attack zone was established and a rule was written that the puck has to go in before the players can go in simply to prevent cherry picking.

there was a play a few years ago with duchense and someone said it should be reviewed by the cameras... and some Nazi wannabe said this is a chance to get it 'right.'

but whats right about this?

who is benefitting?

where is the spirit of the law that was being violated under the old system?

how does this improve the game at all except when it effects your team. theres always 1 fan base that might benefit from a goal called back. the other 30 fan bases dont benefit. no one is freaked out at the prospect of a missed offside in some game tonight.

the really super obvious crap that fans see at regular speed might freak us out... if the puck hits the netting and comes back into play... or if a player makes a hand pass... sure, those things can freak us out BUT THATS BECAUSE WE ALL SAW IT AT REGULAR SPEED

what freaks us out isnt that some little violation is happening/not happening... but rather that we saw it and the officials didnt

no one cares what the camera sees at 1 frame per second slow mo or whatever. I mean if it creates a goal by crossing the line then yeah... slow it down and study it... but if we are just taking back some great play a team made to score and making the game more boring... then the ONLY PEOPLE THAT CARE ARE THE SOUR GRAPES CROWD

so... I agree... and thats why im saying we have to make our argument bigger. its not just about our own team. the rule sucks even when our own team is the one that benefits. it sucks even when some other team is hurt by it. plain and simple, the rule sucks

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's such an easy fix. Just force the coach to throw a flag on the ice within 5 seconds or something of the ref signaling the goal, and ban teams from having a video guy that can communicate with the coaches on the spot. Keep the PP in place if a challenge is wrong, but it a coach wants to take a risk, allow the refs/Toronto to look at it in all the detail they want.

Reactions: Wiggleboom

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Kukla's Korner Hockey - Kukla's Korner

Here is actual proof that the Bruins are getting royally screwed above and beyond every other team in the league. Five goal calls overturned so fart this year. Two teams with 3. Six teams with 2. Eleven teams with 1. Eleven teams with 0!!

What the h.e. double hockey sticks is going on here!?!?!?!?

Well, one thing you could say is that the Bruins are the best team in the league and they are scoring a lot of goals.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
Having the puck behind your skates as you enter the zone is not possession.
does the angle of the camera view not matter ? Looking from behind the blue line if u take the thickness of the ice and the lines being painted on below the ice, the puck was in all likelihood on the line but from the angle it appeared over . thats the issue of the camera view in this instance

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
There's an easy fix to make offsides challenges better, but the league won't do it.

Treat the blueline like the endzone in football. It stretches forever vertically. This removes the "skate in the air" aspect of current offsides which is the main culprit in these dumb overturned goals.

They also should amend it so that as soon as the defending team touches the puck the ability to challenge is gone. If you had a chance to clear and failed, you don't get to challenge
Brilliant.

So you know the NHL wont adopt it.

They have the greatest game, but the dumbest suits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad