The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: ‘What is the purpose of this rule?’: Bruce Cassidy laments a game-changing offside challenge

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
My solution to the offside challenge:

1) Give each team a remote control with 1 button.
2) Every time the puck enters their defensive zone, the team has 3 seconds to push the button if they think the play is offside
3) If a goal is scored and the team had pressed the button within the 3 second window, the goal is challenged

This will catch the blatant offside entries that prompted the introduction of replay, but will reduce this crap where goals are called off due to a few millimeters.

They'd click it every time just in case...

Outside the box thinking but unfortunately that is not the answer

Reactions: Strafer

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It's an awful practice. Who thought it would be a good idea to reduce the number of goals scored AND add lengthy delays to games?

Please don't give me the, "let's get it right" nonsense either. Refs are human, there are twice as many missed penalties in a game as there are penalties called. Nobody has a perfect system, so let's go with what keeps the flow of the game and the excitement going.

OT: I wish this thread wasn't started after we had a goal called back because it's a valid issue even when the call goes your way.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Possession isn't enough when it comes to offsides. You need possession AND CONTROL.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Kukla's Korner Hockey - Kukla's Korner

Here is actual proof that the Bruins are getting royally screwed above and beyond every other team in the league. Five goal calls overturned so fart this year. Two teams with 3. Six teams with 2. Eleven teams with 1. Eleven teams with 0!!

What the h.e. double hockey sticks is going on here!?!?!?!?

Not surprised in the least, decisions coming from TO are rarely going to be favourable for us.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Its way worse than the crease rule, because with the crease at least you knew right away it was no goal. None of this play going on for minutes.

Offsides should not be reviewed becasue play can go on for endless time if the puck is kept in the zone. Hoping they just get rid of it.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
No it wasn't offside, most hockey analysts are saying that Coyle had possession of the puck, therefore it was onside. As per usual the hockey ops in TO were able to put the hammer to us, feels like a broken record. It is strictly because of NHL officiating and the " decision room in TO " that I no longer get the hockey package, nothing but incompetence/biasness all around.

Yes it was offside, there was a still showing Coyles skates were in the zone completely while the puck was still on the blue line. A player could gain the zone skates first if he was controlling the puck on his stick. Coyle wasn't.

That is offside.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yes it was offside, there was a still showing Coyles skates were in the zone completely while the puck was still on the blue line. A player could gain the zone skates first if he was controlling the puck on his stick. Coyle wasn't.

That is offside.
So it has to be a stick you're controlling the puck with?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
So it has to be a stick you're controlling the puck with?

However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line.

Having the puck behind your skates as you enter the zone is not possession.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If he had control of it, he would've kicked it in front of himself, not had it deflect behind him.

The pass was behind him, he was directing it forward with his skate. I've seen in the past delayed penalties blown when the offending team kicks the puck before and that's a play that only gets whistled down when the offending team has possession and control.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Coyle opted to play the puck with his skates and not his stick.

That's a skilled possession play to me and you're not convincing me otherwise. He had control.

It also gave zero benefit to the Bruins entering the zone.

Get rid of the review. Im sick of this shit. This game is starving for goals. Unless the play is a mile off sides ala the Duchene goal it shouldnt matter.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The pass was behind him, he was directing it forward with his skate.

Disagree. He didn't direct anything. He didn't move his skate, change its angle, nothing. It hit him. It may seem like nit-picking, but it isn't. There's a practical difference between having a puck simply hit your skate and you kicking/directing it where you want.

I've seen in the past delayed penalties blown when the offending team kicks the puck before and that's a play that only gets whistled down when the offending team has possession and control.

The bolded is the key. He didn't use a kicking motion here. Kicking shows a degree of control over where the puck is going. That didn't happen in the Coyle play.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Did he answer why he didn't challenge the tying goal where Nate Thompson dove fully into Tuukka after light contact from Zdeno?
Re told him that Chara pushed him into Chara. Told him you can challenge if you want, but he felt he would not win if that was the call on the ice. I agree with Cassidy, he would of lost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad