The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: ‘What is the purpose of this rule?’: Bruce Cassidy laments a game-changing offside challenge

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Only a diehard Bruins fan would consider Coyle to be in possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line in this situation.

I personally didn't argue either way. But as has already been pointed out, your edgy take is, once again, proven to be false.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Sure, why not.
tenor.gif

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Did he have possession AND control? The puck hit his skate. That's it. I'm not sure that qualifies.

It's similar to a delayed penalty call. Would the refs blow the whistle and count it as possession and control if the puck simply hit the skate of a player on the offending team? They're not supposed to.

What if the puck hit his stick instead of his skate? Same thing. How do you define "control" ? He didn't lose the puck and managed to score a goal later. I guess he had control.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
What if the puck hit his stick instead of his skate? Same thing.

Agreed - same thing. If it bounces off his stick and goes in front of him.......WHERE HE WANTED IT.....control. If it bounces off his stick and goes behind him? Not control.

How do you define "control" ? He didn't lose the puck and managed to score a goal later. I guess he had control.

Control for me is putting the puck where you want it......NOT having it bounce off your skate, body, stick, anything else, and having it end up behind you. Clearly (to me) if you "one touch" the puck and it goes anywhere other than where you intended it to go, then you don't have control of it.

Reactions: DarrenBanks56

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This is flat out not true. Since the review has been adopted
they have been calling offside on not straddling the blueline which is clearly not Duchesne like.

What if Tyreek Hill scored an OT TD in the AFC title game catching the ball on the sideline and his cleat touched the sideline by the amount Coyle was offside. Should they let the TD stand? Of course not.
That's not a similar analogy. That would be if the puck went outside of play (of wait they can't review that unless it goes directly into the net). A more apt analogy is if football started reviewing false start/offsides call. The officials make a judgement call in the moment on who they think jumped first or didn't jump it didn't cross the line of scrimmage and we accept and move on.

There are hard and fast rules in sports and there are grey areas. Possession is a definite grey area.

But my biggest problem is why they are singling out offsides as something that needs to be corrected. There are hundreds of zone entries a game. It has less effect on the goal scored than a missed penalty, missed hand pass or puck in glass or played with a high stick or goalie interference. Some of those can be reviewed, some can't and some can but only if it goes in directly or by the next person touching the puck. Offsides is the only one open ended, able to review until infinity.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Agreed - same thing. If it bounces off his stick and goes in front of him.......WHERE HE WANTED IT.....control. If it bounces off his stick and goes behind him? Not control.

Control for me is putting the puck where you want it......NOT having it bounce off your skate, body, stick, anything else, and having it end up behind you. Clearly (to me) if you "one touch" the puck and it goes anywhere other than where you intended it to go, then you don't have control of it.

Well, I just checked the clip again and seems to me that he redirected the puck exactly where he wanted.
It quickly ended up on his stick and he passed it to Bjork. I see the whole sequence as him controlling the puck. If we only count the exact moment while he crosses the line, I still see it a skillful play to redirect the puck forward after receiving the puck behind him. The puck seems to be in contact with the skate blade the whole micro-second it crosses the line also. Tough call but I see as possession and control myself.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That's how it's being used NOW, but that's not what the intent was.

Are you telling me they found a goal like Coyle's and decided they needed to put this rule in place? The answer is no.

You're absolutely wrong. It's been used on blue line straddling plays from the start, so no, you're making things up.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
we can argue if he had possession or not all day. I just think the whole review for offside is stupid.
if its blatant an official will blow it dead live. there is no need for offside review.

the coyle play wouldve been blown for offside live on the play if the linesman couldve seen the puck trail him over the blueline with the naked eye. ive seen that exact play blown offsides thousands of times.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
You're absolutely wrong. It's been used on blue line straddling plays from the start, so no, you're making things up.

I didn't say they weren't, so you're arguing something I didn't say.

When this started the league didn't envision 3 minute delays and blowing up video to determine if a place was offside by a minuscule.

Listen to comments from Bettman and other people in the league, some of these replays are taking too long.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
perhaps posted earlier, but I think if the defensive team gets the puck and loses it, then the offside challenge can't be made. As well, allow the back skate to be raised crossing the blueline. Current video quality does not seem good enough to figure if skate is on or off the ice.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
For those arguing it's all about "getting it right" what about the flipside? What about plays where they call it offsides in real time and foil a scoring chance, only video shows the call on the ice was wrong. What's the recourse for getting that right?

They don't give you the scoring chance back. I think we should just accept a certain amount of human error. The number of times they call offsides wrong is probably being offset by the number of times they miss it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad