The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: ‘What is the purpose of this rule?’: Bruce Cassidy laments a game-changing offside challenge

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yep, but they won't because it would be the NHL admitting they failed and can't have that.
I don't 100% agree with this. They have eliminated other bad rules in the past that determined the outcome of games.

I recall a certain crease rule that is now gone that cost the Bruins a playoff round against the Capitals because a skate was barely in the crease.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Yes, lets add more detail and amendments to a complete broken process.

ALL they need to do is eliminate the video review for offsides.

Eliminate it, with the exception that Toronto can monitor it for those so called "egregious" offsides that are missed. I'd be extremely pissed if a goal counted and the guy was 1-3 feet offsides... i want those missed calls corrected... but the ones that are fractionally offsides like last nights should count 100 times over. Plus, just from a purely Bruins standpoint. Coyle deserves goals more than anyone. He's been a horse this year. Seny who is much maligned had a phenomenal game and made a great play to Coyle there. So on top off it changing momentum and ultimately leading to a loss... Coyle gets a goal taken away that he very much deserves and Seny gets an assist taken away (still don't know how he didn't get one on Bjorks goal)... sucks.

Reactions: Strafer

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
It's very possible to tilt against challenges by insisting on clear & irrefutable evidence to overturn, e.g. full skate blade over the line, by putting a time limit (infraction must have occurred within 20 seconds of the goal), etc. Cuts the number of challenges way down too.
NFL has attempted to do this with the pass interference rule and it’s been a disaster.

It’s rare to get something that’s completely egregious. There’s almost always debate on both sides in all sports. Whether it’s a bang bang play at first base, a spot on a first down or a puck crossing the line.

Hockey especially because there’s a layer of ice over the line that’s painted and it causes blurring.

I feel like it’s got to be an all or nothing proposition at this point. Either crap or scale back replay significantly or circumcise the mosquito as Felger says.

Either way, someone will feel like they’re getting screwed.

Last edited:

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
My solution to the offside challenge:

1) Give each team a remote control with 1 button.
2) Every time the puck enters their defensive zone, the team has 3 seconds to push the button if they think the play is offside
3) If a goal is scored and the team had pressed the button within the 3 second window, the goal is challenged

This will catch the blatant offside entries that prompted the introduction of replay, but will reduce this crap where goals are called off due to a few millimeters.

Reactions: jangerhofer

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018

2) Every time the puck enters their defensive zone, the team has 3 seconds to push the button if they think the play is offside
3) If a goal is scored and the team had pressed the button within the 3 second window, the goal is challenged

This will catch the blatant offside entries that prompted the introduction of replay, but will reduce this crap where goals are called off due to a few millimeters.

The amount of "accidently clicking the button" we'd get on "Weird NHL" would fill up a whole episode.

Reactions: Strafer

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

My God.....

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Well...might as well press it every single time under your setup?

Just review all goals... no need to involve coaches at all... do the review at regular speed like the crowd sees

We want to keep the crowd happy

If a play is offensive enough it can be seen at regular speed, then overrule the refs... but always let the closeones go to the origional call on ice

The only reviews that should ever use slowmo are when we are determining good goals that werent awarded by the ref

Any puck that crosses the line legally needs to count

The biggest complaint most fans have is not enough scoring... not enough high tempo offense

Slowing rushes at the blueline and calling off goals for accidental mistimed zone entries is stupid

As cassady asked... what is this for? Other than the team that screwed up and deserves a goal against them anyhow... who benefits?

How many of you would care if mcdavid was an inch offside on draisaitls goal tonight?

It only upsets us when its our team... but if our team allows the goal than thats hockey. Just play better. An inch offside didnt screw you... you screwed yourself

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
NFL has attempted to do this with the pass interference rule and it’s been a disaster.

It’s rare to get something that’s completely egregious. There’s almost always debate on both sides in all sports. Whether it’s a bang bang play at first base, a spot on a first down or a puck crossing the line.

Hockey especially because there’s a layer of ice over the line that’s painted and it causes blurring.

I feel like it’s got to be an all or nothing proposition at this point. Either crap or scale back replay significantly or circumcise the mosquito as Felger says.

Either way, someone will feel like they’re getting screwed.

How has the NFL been a complete disaster?

I love the NFL rule if it’s not egregious take a hike ...

The NFL PI rule is working exactly how the NHL offside rule should.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Right. The rules are the rules. But i agree with Cassidy on this one. When you need that much time, it means it is not as conclusive as it was meant by this rule. Linesmen probably did search a way to call it offside..... not that the image, angles were that conclusive to determine their position. I think that rule was meant to reverse a bad linesmen call, which was not the case yesterday,

I don't get this line of thinking.

The rule is that no player can enter the zone before the puck. Either offsides or not. Video showed it to be offsides.

Just sour grapes. Its expected from the fans, though it was surprising from this coach.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
That is what this rule was meant for goals that were clearly offside like the Duchene goal with the Avs, Kessel with the Bruins, but not these goals where it is really hard to tell whether it was offside or not and may be by fraction of a millimeter. It is ruining the game and going against what the NHL wants to promote, because it takes goals away and slows the game to a crawl.

Still better than the last 2mins of a basketball game

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Well...might as well press it every single time under your setup?

Just review all goals... no need to involve coaches at all... do the review at regular speed like the crowd sees

We want to keep the crowd happy

If a play is offensive enough it can be seen at regular speed, then overrule the refs... but always let the closeones go to the origional call on ice

The only reviews that should ever use slowmo are when we are determining good goals that werent awarded by the ref

Any puck that crosses the line legally needs to count

The biggest complaint most fans have is not enough scoring... not enough high tempo offense

Slowing rushes at the blueline and calling off goals for accidental mistimed zone entries is stupid

As cassady asked... what is this for? Other than the team that screwed up and deserves a goal against them anyhow... who benefits?

How many of you would care if mcdavid was an inch offside on draisaitls goal tonight?

It only upsets us when its our team... but if our team allows the goal than thats hockey. Just play better. An inch offside didnt screw you... you screwed yourself

What??? That's like saying a penalty for lining up in neutral zone (football) is stupid.

Exactly.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Here's my idea, get rid of technology on the benches all together.

If the coach thinks it's offside, take the chance and "challenge"

I like this idea actually, coaches Julien shouldn't be allowed to watch the play in slow-mo 10 times before deciding he wants to challenge.

Reactions: sarge88

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Like i get that technology is the thing now, but good god.

You've got a few coaches, some equipment guys and trainers on the benches and if someone can't spot an offside, that's on you, not on a device where 100 frames per second is the blurry answer.

Reactions: sarge88

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Few things;

- it appeared to be offside, though it was ridiculously close.

- what appears to be a sharply defined line is anything but you get closer.

- anyone else think that the pass was way too slow, causing this situation?

Overall, it was quite the game, though neither of the storied goalies were on their game.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Another thing that pisses me off is how long it takes for a coach to DECIDE if he wants to challenge the play.

You even see opposing players taking their sweet ass time to get back to the bench after a "goal" is scored allowing the coaching staff extra time to look at their little screen and determine if they want to challenge after looking at a few funny memes.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm 100% ok with shitcanning review completely, the number of times a guy being offside directly leads to a goal is insignificant. To me it's goofy that it can be reviewed but other things can't. B's turn the puck over in the attacking zone, Marchand gets hooked as he turns to try to get on the back-check, no call, goal gets scored, oh well too bad, guess we missed it. What makes offside special? "It's not a judgmement call like hooking" bull shit, it took 3 minutes to figure it out last night, so obviously the official is making some sort of subjective judgment.

If they insist on keeping reviews (and they will)
1: Limit the time for the official to review to 30 seconds. If you can't make a definitive call after 2-3 looks, it's too close to overturn
2: There needs to be some limit to how long the puck can be in the zone before the offside becomes irrelevant. The goal that got called back against Colorado was 50 seconds after the zone entry. It asinine to say the guy being 1/2" ahead of the puck had any influence on that goal being scored. The other part of this is the one sided nature of it. If the B's enter the zone offside, play goes on, B's turn the puck over, other team goes down and scores, why can't the B's challenge that it should have been whistled dead on their offside?
3: Defending team touching the puck negates the offside.

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Egregious blown calls are one thing, but the speed of the modern game makes it nearly impossible for officials to get it right 100% of the time, while modern technology lets us review their work frame by frame at our leisure. Bringing that review into the game doesn't fix the problem, which is a wrong or missed call. What it can do is reduce the impact of those missed calls on the outcome of the game.

If the only missed calls were offsides, that would be the case. But we all know that's not true. Penalties get called that shouldn't, or aren't called when they should. Same thing for icing. Hell, half the games I watch include me shouting at a linesman to "Drop the ****ing puck!" while center after center gets tossed. If you correct a missed offsides that put one team down a goal, but not a bad penalty call that cost the other team a goal, all you've done is poured salt in the wounds of half of your audience. How is that better hockey?

The goal should be to reduce missed calls entirely. Put someone in Toronto in charge of offsides backup. If someone looking at a big ****ing screen with hi-def shots of both bluelines can't call the offsides in real time, it was too close to matter.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm 100% ok with ****canning review completely, the number of times a guy being offside directly leads to a goal is insignificant. To me it's goofy that it can be reviewed but other things can't. B's turn the puck over in the attacking zone, Marchand gets hooked as he turns to try to get on the back-check, no call, goal gets scored, oh well too bad, guess we missed it. What makes offside special? "It's not a judgmement call like hooking" bull ****, it took 3 minutes to figure it out last night, so obviously the official is making some sort of subjective judgment.

If they insist on keeping reviews (and they will)
1: Limit the time for the official to review to 30 seconds. If you can't make a definitive call after 2-3 looks, it's too close to overturn
2: There needs to be some limit to how long the puck can be in the zone before the offside becomes irrelevant. The goal that got called back against Colorado was 50 seconds after the zone entry. It asinine to say the guy being 1/2" ahead of the puck had any influence on that goal being scored. The other part of this is the one sided nature of it. If the B's enter the zone offside, play goes on, B's turn the puck over, other team goes down and scores, why can't the B's challenge that it should have been whistled dead on their offside?
3: Defending team touching the puck negates the offside.

Good post

How about limiting the number of challenges permitted by each team in a game to 1, still won`t change the fact I can`t stand watching a game and a goal scored then immediately sitting on my fat arse just waiting for the PBP guy to say "hold on, this one`s being challenged". Gets tiresome watching this game some times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad