Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Officially Name Joel Quenneville Their Next Head Coach

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
You have a low standard for dominate then
That’s today’s nhl. Where players playing against the best on the planet for over 20 mins a night get destroyed regularly through stretches of games, get walked, get exposed. Rarely they play as good as Matheson that game and those few games around that time when he was
Lights out. So yes that is dominant. Defensively speaking.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
That’s today’s nhl. Where players playing against the best on the planet for over 20 mins a night get destroyed regularly through stretches of games, get walked, get exposed. Rarely they play as good as Matheson that game and those few games around that time when he was
Lights out. So yes that is dominant. Defensively speaking.

A few games is hardly considered “large stretches.” I won’t deny that he showed promise from time to time this season, but for the most part, he was flat out awful. Maybe it was the death threats, maybe it was him being mismanaged, whatever it was, I do think he is a much better Dman than what he showed this past season.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
You have a low standard for dominate then
One game = Long Stretches

MM would flash his skills each game, but more often then not it was followed by one or two early career Kulikov level blunders. I think Q will help him, but I dont see it as an intelligence thing, they just need to let him play more to his strengths, and get him a veteran defensive minded partner!

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
One game = Long Stretches

MM would flash his skills each game, but more often then not it was followed by one or two early career Kulikov level blunders. I think Q will help him, but I dont see it as an intelligence thing, they just need to let him play more to his strengths, and get him a veteran defensive minded partner!

Sounds great when Yandle, Ek and Math each needs a veteran, defensive dman partner.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I think we could live with Yands and Ekblad on a pair together once Q fixes the defensive scheme.

Ek took huge strides this season defensively

Ek developed during this season but he's still a moving turnstile and not to mention that he's nowhere near of being a stud #1 dman which his price tag would indicate. Ek could probably handle his own turf in a year but he's still an offensive minded dman and Yandle with him is probably a bad match. Q better get that d-core fixed asap or he can uber his ass immediately away from the BB&T, and I don't care how many SC rings he's got.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I think the coaching issues of the past two years are going to become blatantly obvious next year, and I think better coaching will really help Matheson. Unfortunately for him, he came on board just as all the bs around the team happened. As it happens so often with this team, his development was bungled. A better coach, a better system, more stability, more accountability; I think all of that will amount to a much better Matheson going forward.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I think the Veteran D man should be to address the bottom 4.

More than anything, Ekblad needs to take the next step this summer entering training camp. As far as I know, this is the first time he has said publicly that he is going to address his foot speed.

Matheson needs to get his shit together. But we do have a core where Matheson, Yandle, and Pysyk are all "puck movers," though Pysyk less so than the former names.

Pysyk is the odd man out here.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think the coaching issues of the past two years are going to become blatantly obvious next year, and I think better coaching will really help Matheson. Unfortunately for him, he came on board just as all the bs around the team happened. As it happens so often with this team, his development was bungled. A better coach, a better system, more stability, more accountability; I think all of that will amount to a much better Matheson going forward.
Development of our prospects and players has been good to excellent imo. Maybe back in the Horton and Weiss days it stunk.

Reactions: harv33173

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Development of our prospects and players has been good to excellent imo. Maybe back in the Horton and Weiss days it stunk.

I guess I was referring to the various prospects whose development was bungled by this team.

With regards to my comment and the within the context of my post, I think Matheson's development and as a result his performance to date has been hampered by playing too many minutes too quickly and by having to play for mediocre coaches. I feel better about Matheson going forward now that we have a good, veteran coach.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I guess I was referring to the various prospects whose development was bungled by this team.

With regards to my comment and the within the context of my post, I think Matheson's development and as a result his performance to date has been hampered by playing too many minutes too quickly and by having to play for mediocre coaches. I feel better about Matheson going forward now that we have a good, veteran coach.
Fair enough. I’m curious to see if Q can fix his game.

He needed to sit more and get fewer minutes this past season

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I’d like to see Matheson play a game as a forward. I think he’d be good. He has wheels and moderate defensive ability To go along with pretty good offensive skills. Versatility could only help his value to the team at this point.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I’d like to see Matheson play a game as a forward. I think he’d be good. He has wheels and moderate defensive ability To go along with pretty good offensive skills. Versatility could only help his value to the team at this point.
I think he’d be a terrible forward to be honest. His go to move is to try and speed on the boards and get crunched and lose the puck.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

As the second-winningest coach in NHL history, Quenneville hardly needs anyone to vouch on his behalf. But it couldn’t have hurt that Florida employs a firsthand witness in its front office. Chris Pronger was 22 when Quenneville took over the Blues during the ‘96-97 season; four years later, the defenseman captured the Hart and Norris Trophies. “He was a big part,” says Pronger, now a senior advisor to Tallon. “The subtleties in practice, teaching how he wanted us to defend, staying out to work on positioning … I was very young, somewhat of a blank canvas, just turning the corner and coming into my own. I think he was excited to refine the type of player I was.”

October can't come soon enough. Getting excited to see our players after an offseason with Q.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
It's hilarious that fans keep harping that Florida fans dont know hockey.

But then a coach and a damn ****ty temporary tattoo is selling and he is driving ticket sales.

A coach. Not a player. A top notch coach.

It’s funny how people don’t understand how historically bad this team has been over time and how that has effected the fan base. It’s made diehards like me want to give up and as for developing new fans how do you do that with an awful product.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
There were for sure moments this year that I felt EK and MM were far worse than Kulikov or Guds. Far worse. Maybe heightened expectations as they are better dmen, but flopping around like fish on ice or BEYOND brutal turnovers or pinches. It was bad. Some felt same about Yandle, but I think he was more good than bad this past year.

Whatever coach Q does..this Dcore is on notice. It will be fun to see it play out. I’m looking for his thoughts at this position more than any other in training camp and beyond.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad