Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Officially Name Joel Quenneville Their Next Head Coach

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m too lazy to quote the last 3 posts but just wanted to say kudos for excellent discussion :thumbsup:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You guys will like Q, IMO. Kanersbaldspot is right about a couple of things, but the PP wasn't his fault in CHI imo. He tried anything and everything to get them going, but always failed unless they had a pure sniper to help. (Panarin, Sharp in his hay day). As it looks so far, Florida's PP has been successful, CHIs PP still sucks.

He also doesn't hate young players because they suck defensively, he hates bad hockey players that suck defensively. He will shelter young guys who are prone to defensive miscues, but he only dislikes you if your play doesn't warrant his time. Hawk fans are hard pressed to find more than 1 guy (Kempny) that Q didnt like that went on to be a really successful player. Hawk fans loved Pirri and Q refused to play him over Handzus, but thats because Pirri when not scoring goals, was useless.

He likes defensive style play but is also willing to let the forwards be creative and do their thing. I think that plays very well in to what FLA is building, and I am cheering fornyou guys to make the playoffs and go on a run!

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If your young and struggle defensively but give an honest effort Q respects that

He does not let young players pull Pirri , Morin , Dano , etc efforts and get away with it

The myth he hates kids has been proven wrong thru his career. He hates giving no effort defensively by kid

People forget he didn't hesitate to sit Kane on bench if he didn't like effort he saw from him (Did it a few times)

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
If your young and struggle defensively but give an honest effort Q respects that

He does not let young players pull Pirri , Morin , Dano , etc efforts and get away with it

The myth he hates kids has been proven wrong thru his career. He hates giving no effort defensively by kid

People forget he didn't hesitate to sit Kane on bench if he didn't like effort he saw from him (Did it a few times)

Pretty in line with what we've seen here so far. He already benched Huberdeau and Dadonov during a game a few days ago. He's also shown willingness to play younger guys who he feels comfortable with like Weegar, Malgin, Hunt

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
Hi all. Just wanted to pop in and see how Q is working out. I loved the guy when he was with Chicago, but I haven't had much time this season to watch many games. Looks like things are going well per the standings.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Hi all. Just wanted to pop in and see how Q is working out. I loved the guy when he was with Chicago, but I haven't had much time this season to watch many games. Looks like things are going well per the standings.

It's been up and down, to be honest. Team is very similar to last season, nothing major has changed from what I can tell. I do think there's been an uptick in general effort and commitment, but that's about it.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
We've all heard that the top shelf is where the peanut butter is. It was mentioned in a recent game thread that Q says it, too.

I'm very happy that he is FL's coach!

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It's been up and down, to be honest. Team is very similar to last season, nothing major has changed from what I can tell. I do think there's been an uptick in general effort and commitment, but that's about it.
I look at it much more positively. I think Q has made a huge difference, and it’s noticeable in almost every game.

Last season, there’s no way we come back (twice!) from 4-goal deficits. Last season with Boog, there’s no way the D-pairings are experimented with to find the right combos. Last season, there’s no way players like Toninato get a chance. Last season, the first line (especially Barkov) played half the game, now Barky gets 15-18min.

Last season, we weren’t second in the division at this point. Oh yeah, other than that, no biggie....

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
One thing that is notably different, is the team attempting to generate better shots. The last few years, the Panthers had the furthest and most shot attempts (or close to last). This year, it started the same, but the defense now holds on to the puck, waiting for guys to screen and be in position for rebounds or they pass the puck to keep possession. Also, the defense pinch less to keep the puck in the zone but a much more likely to drive down to the net if there is an opening for a pass.

You can see it here; early in the Video, Matheson (#19 on the left side) goes down to give a pass opportunity, but Huberdeau doesn't pass it his way. Then the play continues and switch side and Brown (#2) drive the net and Barkov hit him with a great pass and Brown burries it.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I look at it much more positively. I think Q has made a huge difference, and it’s noticeable in almost every game.

Last season, there’s no way we come back (twice!) from 4-goal deficits. Last season with Boog, there’s no way the D-pairings are experimented with to find the right combos. Last season, there’s no way players like Toninato get a chance. Last season, the first line (especially Barkov) played half the game, now Barky gets 15-18min.

Last season, we weren’t second in the division at this point. Oh yeah, other than that, no biggie....
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy we got Q and I absolutely agree he's a better coach than Boughner...

How exactly do you experiment with the pairings last season? Strallman wasn't here - instead we had Petro who was an utter disaster. Brown was playing his first season; Weegar was playing his second NHL season - do you really put him on the top pairing? We've tried Ekblad-Matheson and it didn't go well. Yandle-Ekblad was the least bad combination we could make (which, coincidentally, is the same pairing that Q arrived at with Weegar out).
Similarly, I agree that the whole top line and especially Barkov were seriously overplayed... but who did we honestly have to replace them? The fourth line sucked (it was strongly improved by the Acciari signing) and the middle six was also seriously meh. We didn't have Connolly - that's more secondary scoring taking a bit of the weight off the primary guys. We had Borg as our 3C and he's in the AHL now. McGinn is out of the league now; Brouwer barely got a contract in November thanks to injuries. Who was "a guy like Toninato" that didn't get a chance last year?

And while we do have a significantly better record (35 points as opposed to 28 after 29 games), the rest of the division sucking has helped us a lot to our 2nd place. With 35 points at 29 games played last year, we'd be holding the 1st wildcard, with Boston just one point behind us (at that stage).

Again, I'm very happy with Q - his in-game adjustments are great, team's improving, the guys never give up, they clearly respect him, he holds them accountable - but I'd say some of these comparions are unfair to Boughner.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy we got Q and I absolutely agree he's a better coach than Boughner...

How exactly do you experiment with the pairings last season? Strallman wasn't here - instead we had Petro who was an utter disaster. Brown was playing his first season; Weegar was playing his second NHL season - do you really put him on the top pairing? We've tried Ekblad-Matheson and it didn't go well. Yandle-Ekblad was the least bad combination we could make (which, coincidentally, is the same pairing that Q arrived at with Weegar out).
Similarly, I agree that the whole top line and especially Barkov were seriously overplayed... but who did we honestly have to replace them? The fourth line sucked (it was strongly improved by the Acciari signing) and the middle six was also seriously meh. We didn't have Connolly - that's more secondary scoring taking a bit of the weight off the primary guys. We had Borg as our 3C and he's in the AHL now. McGinn is out of the league now; Brouwer barely got a contract in November thanks to injuries. Who was "a guy like Toninato" that didn't get a chance last year?

And while we do have a significantly better record (35 points as opposed to 28 after 29 games), the rest of the division sucking has helped us a lot to our 2nd place. With 35 points at 29 games played last year, we'd be holding the 1st wildcard, with Boston just one point behind us (at that stage).

Again, I'm very happy with Q - his in-game adjustments are great, team's improving, the guys never give up, they clearly respect him, he holds them accountable - but I'd say some of these comparions are unfair to Boughner.

It was actually mentioned last game that Ek really credits Boog for making him better understand and ready for the 82-game grind season. He learned a lot that way from Boog he said.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

Maybe...

But saying this is the same team as Boogie, either on the ice or the roster or system-wise, it's a total mistake !

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

:clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad