GDT: Florence vs Carolina

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
While I get that the hurricane is the focus here (for obvious reasons), it's still a little sad to see it being made into some massive devestating storm.

I mean, the Philippines are currently getting nailed by a Super Typhoon (the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane) with 200 mph winds, and we've got reporters down here acting like they're going to be blown away in front of the camera (while bystanders walk by perfectly fine in the background).

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for those who did suffer some loss in Florence, but when Twitter/Facebook/the news is making a big deal out of power outages and downed trees, while an entire country is basically being evacuated, it grinds my gears.

I get that you are generally a negative person, but sometimes you bitch about the dumbest things.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
GTFOH I don’t know what media or Facebook people you follow but where I live, New Bern, it’s just a tad bit more than power outages and downed trees. A significant chunk of the town and surrounding counties have been inundated with water from the storm surge and on top of that we’re getting 20+ inches of rain. Man I love when the media sensationalizes something as trivial as 20” of rain.
Where I live in New Bern yeah the power is out and trees have turned the roads into a maze but thankfully I haven’t had to be rescued by the Louisiana Cajun Navy and other volunteers/first responders like so many others in Eastern NC. If I run into a news crew I’ll be sure to ask them why they aren’t focused on the Philippines when we know everyone is going to forget about us in a week after the president tweets about some more dumb ****.

Hey, like I said, I sympathize with fellow NCers who are receiving the worst out of Florence. But as far as the media goes?

They’re pulling shit like this. That’s not helping anyone. That’s attempting to sensationalize, that actually ends up trivializing the storm.

Rather than doing that, or interviewing families who have lost everything “how they’re feeling right now” (legitimately heard that watching the news today), they could accurately report on Florence or Mangkhut or whathaveyou.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
3CCC4862-D052-4655-90EE-3983375C8FAE.jpeg

12 hours before that yellow and orange gets here.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I almost expect it to just stop

Getting quite sick of waiting on the deluge. Looks like around 2-3pm it’ll get really wet here. Still have power, again very thankful my development has underground lines. We hardly ever lose power, but you never know. Folks just 2miles down the rd have lost power due to branches on lines, etc.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah it’s been kind of a non event in Holly Springs so far, luckily.

Similar here. Other than losing power for quite a while yesterday, just leaves / branches down and 5-6” of rain. A couple trees down in the neighborhood, but nothing major so hopefully it stays that way. Still raining.

Got the shit scared out of me last night when I heard a large bang. I thought a large branch landed on the roof and when I went out to investigate, I found a screen from the second floor blew off and landed on the gas grill.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad