GDT: Florence vs Carolina

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So we've decided to tile our basement instead of re-carpeting (because I never want to deal with this mess again). After some research, I was expecting $7-10 per square foot dependent upon materials chosen and the rate for labor. For 423 square feet, I was budgeting between $3000 and $4300. Our tile selected was $2.49/sq foot, so nothing outrageous. After waiting 8 days for a quote, Lowe's finally got back to me with a number... $5100.

Am I being unreasonable? I mean, the Lowe's quote is $4000 in labor. It's a TWO DAY JOB. $4000?!?!?!?!?
Not being unreasonable about that, but there's a reason when we did my old place we did the flooring ourselves on it.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
So we've decided to tile our basement instead of re-carpeting (because I never want to deal with this mess again). After some research, I was expecting $7-10 per square foot dependent upon materials chosen and the rate for labor. For 423 square feet, I was budgeting between $3000 and $4300. Our tile selected was $2.49/sq foot, so nothing outrageous. After waiting 8 days for a quote, Lowe's finally got back to me with a number... $5100.

Am I being unreasonable? I mean, the Lowe's quote is $4000 in labor. It's a TWO DAY JOB. $4000?!?!?!?!?

FYI I’d recommend hiring a local company and supporting local business vs going through Lowe’s or Home Depot. I think you’ll get a lot better service, better product, and probably end up paying the same price. I know a few people that have gotten different services from the big companies above and both were left being pretty disappointed.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Interesting that you say this. I grew up in Idaho, and from my memory the mosquitoes there are much larger than they are here, leaving welts that are much larger and a produce an aggravating itch which lasts for more than a day. Contract to here, where both the mosquitoes and welts seem smaller, and the itch is barely noticeable and doesn't last. However, childhood memories are often "oversized", so I've often wondered if there really isn't a difference to the ones we find here.

The hallways in my elementary school were huge I tell ya....just huge!

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The hallways in my elementary school were huge I tell ya....just huge!
Cavernous, ev-en.

snagglepuss.jpg

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
FYI I’d recommend hiring a local company and supporting local business vs going through Lowe’s or Home Depot. I think you’ll get a lot better service, better product, and probably end up paying the same price. I know a few people that have gotten different services from the big companies above and both were left being pretty disappointed.

I tried Lowe's out of convenience. We were looking at their tile and they advertised installation services. They outsource the labor, so I am sure there is a hefty markup.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I thought Lowe’s and Home Depot use local companies to do the work, just that they contract it out? I know a few years ago when we had carpeting installed, they used a local company. The nice part about using Lowe’s or Home Depot is that if there is a problem, they stand behind it. Not always the case with independent guys.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I tried Lowe's out of convenience. We were looking at their tile and they advertised installation services. They outsource the labor, so I am sure there is a hefty markup.

I thought Lowe’s and Home Depot use local companies to do the work, just that they contract it out? I know a few years ago when we had carpeting installed, they used a local company. The nice part about using Lowe’s or Home Depot is that if there is a problem, they stand behind it. Not always the case with independent guys.

Bingo, both of you guys are right. HD and Lowes use local companies and yes they have a nice mark up. Several years ago we had HD do some carpeting for us and originally weren't going to do the stairs. Well to make a long story short, we asked what it would cost to do the stairs and the guys doing the installation did it for something like $1.50 or $2.00 per sq. ft./yd cheaper because they were doing it on the side.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
no harm in having a couple local companies around to give you an estimate. let them give you a good sales pitch. they’re dying to do just that. mention you’re getting a handful of quotes and go with the company that gives you a good price and makes that personal connection. that was the best lesson i learned when i bought a 70 year old house and had to do an array of things to update it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad