Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
3C558A4E-8CB4-45FA-ACCB-129BAD0E1240.jpeg

Coast Guard Helos can fit in Cul-De-Sac

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Pretty sure my house got flooded last night in Wilmington. I don’t have confirmation yet but have heard of 100s of people rescued by Fire/EMS, national guard, and Cajun Navy in my and surrounding neighborhoods. Hopefully my Slavin jersey hanging in the closet is still dry.

Our house is not even in the 500 year flood plain. Just glad not to be there with a newborn.

Hope that’s not the case for you!

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We got hammered last night in West Durham with rain and woke up to two tornado warnings this morning. Had the kids in the coat closet downstairs for about 15 minutes instead of waiting for the bus outside. My street was flooded with about 3 inches of running water and my neighbors garage was flooded with more. The intersection of I85 and Cole Mill Rd. near our neighborhood was flooded with more than 2 feet of water and several cars and SUVs were stuck. I saw the Durham swift water rescue team taking a boat to get them out.

Got real last night.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
We got hammered last night in West Durham with rain and woke up to two tornado warnings this morning. Had the kids in the coat closet downstairs for about 15 minutes instead of waiting for the bus outside. My street was flooded with about 3 inches of running water and my neighbors garage was flooded with more. The intersection of I85 and Cole Mill Rd. near our neighborhood was flooded with more than 2 feet of water and several cars and SUVs were stuck. I saw the Durham swift water rescue team taking a boat to get them out.

Got real last night.

My friends in Union County got hammered bad. Streets washed out, train derailed in Anson.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Got real last night.

How could that be? I thought it was just the news media making this out to be some massive devastating storm, when in reality it was just some power outages and a few downed trees.:sarcasm:

Seriously though, I'm glad you are safe. A friend of mine in Chapel Hill posted a video this morning of water flowing under and around their house where there wasn't supposed to be any water. Looked like a raging stream. Thankfully, their house is up high enough where there wasn't too much damage.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
East Durham -- water finally starting to creep up our moat.

We live at the bottom of a hill, right at the edge of a 500 year flood plain. The back 1/2 acre is woods and occasionally swamp. Because the developers actually built our lot up *from* that flood plain in order to build our house, we ended up building a retaining wall right along the new flood plain line to prevent the erosion -- and that wall now gives us a perfect visual.

It finally poured in earnest last night, and there's about a foot more standing water today than I've ever seen before. Fortunately, it's another 4 feet before it hits the top of the wall, and then another 2-3 feet to the house before that. But it's a good reminder of how lucky we got here in the Triangle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad