Flint Firebirds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You are going to have 9 spots to fill. 3OA are gone, and your 9 players born 2000 will need to be reduced to 3.

Rookies are 16 or 17.

I count 15 returning players. Add probable BUG Grainer and Giroux who has already played some and the other two ‘03 born 3rds and first two picked ‘04 for 21 players
Though probably shy of 12 F, Flint will be flush with players and picks once the OA situation sorts itself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Wow. Thats alot of spots to fill?

Which 03s and 02s may be options for signing?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Aaron Brown – (D)

Drafting Team: Flint Firebirds
Selection: Third Round, 52nd Overall
Prospect Pipeline Ranking: 23rd Overall
The Flint Firebirds appear to have stolen a minute-munching defender in the middle of the 2020 OHL Draft‘s third-round. An incredibly responsible two-way defenceman for the Quinte Red Devils all season long, Aaron Brown’s two play play and calm composure was expected to combine to see him drafted in the second round of the Priority Selection. However, the youngster fell into the third-round, where the Firebirds were quick to nab him at 52nd overall. With size, intelligence and a high-compete level, don’t be surprised if Brown cracks the Flint’s roster out of training camp.

2020 OHL Draft Review: 15 Potential Steals

SlapShot77

Mar 30, 2020
I would think this will be a very tough decision for the teams management. IMO they would be Roberts, Wismer and Lalonde.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Who are your 3 OA you keep?

I think it depends on the market. We have some valuable pieces.

I think everyone's clear #1 would be Wismer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Busby back and named Captain.

I would like to see my other 2 be McCourt and Busby/Roberts myself, I can see them dealing Lalonde.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I think it depends on the market. We have some valuable pieces.

I think everyone's clear #1 would be Wismer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Busby back and named Captain.

I would like to see my other 2 be McCourt and Busby/Roberts myself, I can see them dealing Lalonde.

I think Wismer, McCourt and Busby. Roberts and Lalonde will be traded if they dont start University.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Is it possible that Kolychonok plays in AHL or Europe/Russia next year, and Busby and Tucker in AHL. Then you will have 5 returning dmen and its possible to consider 2 of the folloowing Dunbar, Brown or Damato to be on roster. Given, that management doesnt trade for other dmen?

Also, given the relationship between Guelph and Flint, who knows if Daws may be coming Flint's way for some 2000s

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Is it possible that Kolychonok plays in AHL or Europe/Russia next year, and Busby and Tucker in AHL. Then you will have 5 returning dmen and its possible to consider 2 of the folloowing Dunbar, Brown or Damato to be on roster. Given, that management doesnt trade for other dmen?

Also, given the relationship between Guelph and Flint, who knows if Daws may be coming Flint's way for some 2000s
No need for Daws, and that pricetag. Cavallin is more than adequate if he’s healthy. I don’t know what the kid needs to do to prove that. Koly can’t go to the AHL next year, he’s not gonna go back to Europe either unless they are much farther ahead of the coronavirus. Busby could go pro but I don’t think he’s ready to make the jump to the AHL. Smereck and Saarijarvi both spent decent stints in the ECHL though, so it’s possible. I could see McCourt making the jump to the pro ranks. I would pay double on my season tickets to see Tucker returned but it’s not gonna happen. It’s obvious Branch wants to build from the net out and values D, so figure it’ll be two D one F as OA’s. I like Wismer over Roberts but they’re much thinner at C, so unless that issue is addressed they need to consider hanging on to Roberts.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Koly is an Import and believe he doesnt have to wait til OA year to play in AHL, but may be wrong. He can definitely go overseas.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The easiest thing would just be keeping Roberts, Wismer, and one of Busby or Lalonde more likely. Both C & RW are thin without the two OA forwards, imo. It’s just Morgan & Kressler and Pierce & Hayes? LW is loaded! So is the D, though some not battle tested. If it’s two OA D Branch (and Wellwood) want, I think Deline, Harper, Dunbar, Roy, & Gretz, and maybe even Keppen might all be in play as well as the OAs.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Koly is an Import and believe he doesnt have to wait til OA year to play in AHL, but may be wrong. He can definitely go overseas.

He was drafted out of the OHL; so as of now, he is ineligible to play in the AHL. Kolyachonok has signed with Florida. Florida will determine if OHL is best

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
He was drafted out of the OHL; so as of now, he is ineligible to play in the AHL. Kolyachonok has signed with Florida. Florida will determine if OHL is best
He was an import pick..not a regular draft pick...he can go to the AHL if Florida chooses...but I don’t see that happening

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
He was an import pick..not a regular draft pick...he can go to the AHL if Florida chooses...but I don’t see that happening
Doesn’t matter. He was a signed OHL player when taken in the NHL draft, therefore he’s either NHL or OHL until he’s a 20yo. There are certain cases where the import player is technically on loan from his European club but that’s not the case with Koly. Now, the NHL/OHL agreement is up for renegotiation this year and Ryan Merkely could wreck it for all the OHL clubs though and that changes. Florida could choose to send him to play Pro in Europe but due to a few circumstances, I find that highly unlikely unless the European season is much more “on schedule” than North America.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

By the looks of all these players wearing the Firebirds jersey, it does not seem like FLint is having a problem of players wanting to play here

I feel bad for guys like NDaNot who truly wanted to see this franchise fail and they have done the entire opposite.

Wow. That was quick and pretty awesome for Flint Firebird fans. Feel bad for those boys not getting all the usual post draft glitz and glam. Really excited to seeing this group play live. Welcome to Flint!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese