Flint Firebirds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
3rd Round pick, D Aaron Brown.

(From a Mock Draft, was mocked to Saginaw #31)
A prospect who has no holes to his game, Brown can truly be relied upon in any situation. A fluid skater who’s game is honed around the breakout, Brown will have an immense influence on the Spirit’s transition game. Brown battles hard every shift and is rarely beat to pucks, and he can get pucks through screens as well as anyone.

Might be a steal that he fell to us in the 3rd. Hope he is.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
OHL Scouting reporting on Aaron Brown...

AARON BROWN, LD, QUINTE RED DEVILS, HOMETOWN: BELLEVILLE, ON, DOB: APR. 9/2004, GP G A PTS PIM 36 8 16 24 32
SCOUTING REPORT: Aaron is one of the smoothest skating defensemen in this age group. He uses his mobility well in all three zones to defend and to create offense. He has good skills, makes good first passes and plays a simple yet effective game from the back end. He will join the rush when the chance is there, but he doesn’t look to go there every time. He has a good shot from the point that he gets through regularly. Defensively he isn’t overly physical, but relies on his skating and body positioning. He has good hockey sense and logs a lot of minutes for one of the top teams in Ontario.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Three kids drafted from the Compuware AAA 15u team. Does that happen to be the Compuware team that Stefan coaches?

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
That's how I see it. Lou Malone is listed as the Midget Major head coach and he is is a Level 5 coach.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
That's how I see it. Lou Malone is listed as the Midget Major head coach and he is is a Level 5 coach.
Yeah, but they have two Miget Minor teams...a 16u and a 15u. Stands to reason that the team that became 16u at the beginning of this Spring season is the team that these kids played on. Danny Veri is named as that team's coach.

Either way, it's interesting that they drafted 4 players from Compuware, where Stefan coaches, and that was the only Michigan AAA organization that they took any players from.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I have to admit, I do not know much about any of these kids. I do like that we took a highly rated Michigan kid with our 1st round pick. I will will trust the organization.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yeah, but they have two Miget Minor teams...a 16u and a 15u. Stands to reason that the team that became 16u at the beginning of this Spring season is the team that these kids played on. Danny Veri is named as that team's coach.

Either way, it's interesting that they drafted 4 players from Compuware, where Stefan coaches, and that was the only Michigan AAA organization that they took any players from.
Those coaches often move around a bit but I’d say it’s likely Stefan has coached them in the past (possibly last year or the year before) or is very familiar with them, their families and their situations.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Been a bit busy and haven’t really delved into the draft much yet. I did quickly find this write up by Prospects Pipeline on Chazz Nixon though.
Chazz Nixon

2019-20 Team: Oshawa Generals (ETA)
The Oshawa Generals stand as a legitimate contender within the ETA this season, and for good reason. In addition to their impressive offensive abilities, the Generals also feature a steady and composed starting goaltender in Chazz Nixon. Of solid size, Nixon is an excellent competitor who brings his a-game to the rink on a nightly basis. Never out of a play and not one to allow soft goals, Nixon affords his teammates with a sense of confidence when tending the pipes, as his consistency thus far this season alongside his innate abilities has held the Generals in each and every game they’ve played despite the strength of their opponents.

Speaking of goalies, I was told Anthony Popovich’s Father had posted on Twitter something along the lines of what an honor it was for Anthony to play in Flint and what a first class organization it is. That’s after the fact. There’s no need to pump the org now that he’s gone. You gotta believe he’s being genuine. It was great to watch his kid play this year for the fans too. I have personally heard or second hand heard from reputable sources the parents of two D and two Forwards this year hyping what a great place and professionally run organization it is. It seems as though they’ve built a solid foundation. Now to grow it more.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
It might be other team’s needs/wants that play a role in determining Flint’s OAs. Barrie for example, is one of not many that will be in the market for a top OA. That is home for Busby and near home for Roberts.
I think Wismer should be #1 for the firebirds. Top line RW is more of a priority than 2nd line centre, imo. All of Oksentyuk, Othmann, Keppen, & Piercy are better suited as LW. I suppose an uncommonly large trade such as Keppen for Coe or Russel could work, but ...I’d hold on to Wismer in any case.
There is also the option of keeping four OAs to start.

Othmann may play center next year as well.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Should be fun to see how all the draft picks progress and is they find any diamonds in the rough both in the draft and if they have their eye on any free agents.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Does anybody have any first-hand knowledge about Gavin Hayes? I'm having a hard time even finding a short paragraph written about him on any lists of top prospects. Did the Firebirds reach with this pick???

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Does anybody have any first-hand knowledge about Gavin Hayes? I'm having a hard time even finding a short paragraph written about him on any lists of top prospects. Did the Firebirds reach with this pick???
Scouting reports on him at Hockeyprospect.com have him right where he should be at 16. Not looking like a reach at all. Looking like a legit #16.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Corrected:
Flint has kept anywhere from 2 to 8 rookies on their previous five opening rosters. Not sure we will have that kind of room this upcoming season. If they show up and play consistent at training camp I think a reasonable assumption is the following have a decent chance to make the team:

1st Round Pick. LW Gavin Hayes. 6-1. 160lbs.
3rd Round Pick. LD Aaron Brown. 6-1. 170lbs.
4th Round Pick. C. Ty Petrou. 5-11. 164lbs.
*** Free Agent. G Peyton Grainer. 6-1. 185lbs.

***Peyton Grainer played only 1 game last year and is 18. Not sure if he still would be considered a rookie.

Last edited:

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Rookies and newly drafted 16 year olds aren't the same thing. The most 16 yr old rookies they've ever had is 4. They started last season with only 2 16 yr olds. I don't see them with more than 2 16 yr olds this coming season.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
You are going to have 9 spots to fill. 3OA are gone, and your 9 players born 2000 will need to be reduced to 3.

Rookies are 16 or 17.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Been a bit busy and haven’t really delved into the draft much yet. I did quickly find this write up by Prospects Pipeline on Chazz Nixon though.
Chazz Nixon

2019-20 Team: Oshawa Generals (ETA)
The Oshawa Generals stand as a legitimate contender within the ETA this season, and for good reason. In addition to their impressive offensive abilities, the Generals also feature a steady and composed starting goaltender in Chazz Nixon. Of solid size, Nixon is an excellent competitor who brings his a-game to the rink on a nightly basis. Never out of a play and not one to allow soft goals, Nixon affords his teammates with a sense of confidence when tending the pipes, as his consistency thus far this season alongside his innate abilities has held the Generals in each and every game they’ve played despite the strength of their opponents.

Speaking of goalies, I was told Anthony Popovich’s Father had posted on Twitter something along the lines of what an honor it was for Anthony to play in Flint and what a first class organization it is. That’s after the fact. There’s no need to pump the org now that he’s gone. You gotta believe he’s being genuine. It was great to watch his kid play this year for the fans too. I have personally heard or second hand heard from reputable sources the parents of two D and two Forwards this year hyping what a great place and professionally run organization it is. It seems as though they’ve built a solid foundation. Now to grow it more.

Tale of 2 seasons for Nixon. He was really, really good for Oshawa in the first half. Then had a lower body injury late in the regular season and missed a bunch of the playoffs and then when he came back he looked pretty bad and like he had no confidence at all. But if he can be how he was in the first half, he could be an OHL goalie after a couple years of Jr A. Very athletic and kind of relies on that at times but with the work of a goalie coach and some better positioning, I could see him being a legit OHL goalie when he's 18

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I suspect we will keep 3 at minimum. Also, we had “7” rookies who played a majority of their rookie regular season games in 2017-18 and 2016-17 . Note: I counted McCourt in 2017-18 despite him only playing 30 games with Flint and 9 games with Hamilton, if you deduct him it would be “6” in 2017-18.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad