Flint Firebirds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
shows in hf boards draft pick database. I’ll believe the Flint website
I stand corrected. Continue; Flint’s own 4th this year has been showing on the OHL database for several months. If you read the Guelph website, it says the Storm are sending Flint a 4th round this year as well.

Smu fan

Jan 4, 2020
Flint’ 2020 picks after Guelph trade:

Round/Pick

1/16
2/None
3/52
4/72
5/86
5/96
6/None
7/136
8/156
9/176
10/196
11/216
12/236
13/256
14/276
15/296

This is from the Flint Firebirds website.
Still trying to wrap my head around the trading of our 2 Nd round pick. I understand we got some high future picks in return but. Alarms me we only have 2 picks in the top 52. Is a mid 3rd rounder going step into the roster? Not according to scouts. After top 35 talent pool drops off. Also a lot of top Americans- who you can’t bank on coming to the ohl.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
....Also a lot of top Americans- who you can’t bank on coming to the ohl.
I've always thought that not drafting top American players, who I feel are more likely to find Flint an attractive OHL destination, is an area where Flint has regularly dropped the ball on draft day.

Reactions: Smu fan and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Took a few good ones last year, that with the firebirds on the rise just might show after NHL draft year. 2003 group could end up very, very good

Reactions: Toldyaso

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Still trying to wrap my head around the trading of our 2 Nd round pick. I understand we got some high future picks in return but. Alarms me we only have 2 picks in the top 52. Is a mid 3rd rounder going step into the roster? Not according to scouts. After top 35 talent pool drops off. Also a lot of top Americans- who you can’t bank on coming to the ohl.

Supposedly good D still available in 3rd, but need to find room for last year’s 3-3rds before worrying if this year’s 3rd can step into the line up.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It’s pretty simple. A 2nd rounder is unlikely to play a significant role this year. That player can’t be traded. The future picks can though. It’s a clear signal Barclay intends to take a run again next year.....if there’s an OHL season.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

I'd be shocked to see who ever they take at #16 on the roster all season.

They traded the 2nd round pick for more ammo, Id expect to see a couple solid additions to the team.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I'd be shocked to see who ever they take at #16 on the roster all season.

They traded the 2nd round pick for more ammo, Id expect to see a couple solid additions to the team.
Yeah. Othmann was NOT gonna be moved but the kid taken at #16 this year very well could.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I wouldn’t be surprised if a high talent/college commit skater fell if they went for the homerun swing

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I do not think it would be very healthy to have zero 2004's on the team. I think their 1st round will stick. Just my opinion. Also, if we do not plan to keep many picks, might be a good time in the 3rd or 4th round to take a swing at a good Michigan/American kid.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Any thoughts on who the 'Birds select tomorrow morning? Better yet...anybody know of any projected first-rounders who might have been seen around the Dort lately???

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I would have to guess there wasnt or werent much visits due to the world issues at hand. And alot of the families having to travel out of country or too far domestically.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I would have to guess there wasnt or werent much visits due to the world issues at hand. And alot of the families having to travel out of country or too far domestically.
That's EXACTLY why any visits that may have happened would be all the more telling.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That's EXACTLY why any visits that may have happened would be all the more telling.
Isn’t the border closed? It’s probably mostly just guys assuming and guessing, but they were posting that this year’s draft is gonna be old school bare bones style with none of the usual photo shoots and in person interviews and whatnot. I think they need to land a sure thing recruit (which should be easier this year) with the 1st round pick and find a highly likely to commit goalie in the top 5/6 rounds. I’m fine with taking flyers on some Americans but I wouldn’t suggest doing that until the 4th or later this year. It’s one thing to gamble a couple times when you’ve got 8 picks in the first 5 rounds, but when you’ve got 5 or less....play a little less risky.

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Border is closed unless essential business. I doubt a 15 year old that is being drafted into a hockey league is "essential business" here in the US. We have a coworker at our office who is not allowed back for another 2 weeks because they were in Florida for the previous 2 weeks. And if I am a parent right now, i would not risk going across any border let alone leaving my home state/province.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
Border is closed unless essential business. I doubt a 15 year old that is being drafted into a hockey league is "essential business" here in the US. We have a coworker at our office who is not allowed back for another 2 weeks because they were in Florida for the previous 2 weeks. And if I am a parent right now, i would not risk going across any border let alone leaving my home state/province.

G Hayes

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
This is definetly the least interested I’ve been in the OHL draft in six years. I’m mildly concerned about next season anyway. I don’t see this virus being completely eliminated by then and I think it’s a struggle to attract crowds nearly league wide even if everything does kick off on time. I know I’ll be a little more hyped tomorrow but not so much leading up to it. Fairly thankful we’re not North Bay right now though. They hired Ryan Ouhlahen as full time HC and just drafted a 5’6 Defenseman 1st overall. Barclay can’t pull another Owen Power early in the draft and hopefully he’s listening very much to Stefan.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Any thoughts on who the 'Birds select tomorrow morning? Better yet...anybody know of any projected first-rounders who might have been seen around the Dort lately???

I'd be guessing a forward.

Would make the most sense to crack the lineup next year, even tho I don't think they will finish the year if they go all in for it.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Firebirds select Gavin Hayes – RW – Compuware – 6'1, 160lbs

From a Mock draft that had him going #21 to Hamilton.
Hayes, thought to be a very likely roster contender, was ultimately not selected as a candidate to play with the U17’s and the NTDP. I could also see Hamilton taking a chance on Hayes here (or elsewhere in the draft) considering it would give him an opportunity to play with his brother Avery on the Bulldogs. If selected, and if he were to commit to Hamilton, getting Gavin would be huge as he is a potential impact player. Has size, skill, and plays with power, which would also fit extremely well with what Hamilton is building in the coming years.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I've always thought that not drafting top American players, who I feel are more likely to find Flint an attractive OHL destination, is an area where Flint has regularly dropped the ball on draft day.
Well...I'm gonna get proven either right or wrong here. A Michigan kid who played his youth hockey in Michigan. Welcome to Flint, Gavin!

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
3rd Round pick, D Aaron Brown.

(From a Mock Draft, was mocked to Saginaw #31)
A prospect who has no holes to his game, Brown can truly be relied upon in any situation. A fluid skater who’s game is honed around the breakout, Brown will have an immense influence on the Spirit’s transition game. Brown battles hard every shift and is rarely beat to pucks, and he can get pucks through screens as well as anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->