Flint Firebirds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I would agree with running with Cavallin for first half of year and by Xmas Flint will know if they are serious championship contenders and can then trade for top end goalie to platoon with Cavallin. If not serious contenders then just ride out the year and win a round or 2 in playoffs and go for it the year after.

It is possible that both Imports leave to play in the AHL or Europe? With the given COVID situation, who knows if imports come to North America to play?

Alot of uncertainty out there.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I do not think Flint can win the division with Cavallin playing 80-90% of our games. I think we need a very good veteran back-up.

Reactions: NTDP

General Pete

May 22, 2019
Clarkston, MI
So what does everyone think is our current depth chart or system right now? I will give it a try

Piercey - Roberts (OA) - Oxentyuk
Othmann - Morgan - Keppen
Wismer (OA) - Giroux - Hayes
Pierce - Kressler - Yule (OA)
Lombardi - Petrou

Mccourt (OA) - Kolyachunok
Busby (OA) - Lalonde (OA)
Gretz - Harper
Deline

Cavallin
Grainer
Nixon (Jr. B???)

Looks like we have 6 oa's...need to trade 3. What does everyone else think the lines will be

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
So what does everyone think is our current depth chart or system right now? I will give it a try

Lombardi - Petrou

Gretz - Harper
Deline

Cavallin
Grainer
Nixon (Jr. B???)

Looks like we have 6 oa's...need to trade 3. What does everyone else think the lines will be
I REALLLLLLY want to see Piercey-Roberts-Keppen play together. Those are three BIG fellas, and I can't imagine too many guys would be excited to meet them in the corners.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Without additions or considering OA’s

Keppen-Morgan-Wismer (OA)
Piercey-Roberts (OA)-Oksentyuk
Othmann-Kressler-Pierce
Yule (OA)-Giroux-Hayes
Lombardi-Petrou

McCourt (OA)-Lalonde (OA)
Busby (OA)-Kolyachonok
Gretz-Deline
Harper

Cavallin
Grainer
Nixon

To be honest I think it’s about 50/50 or 60/40 we see a season next year and if we do it’s likely a shortened one. It also wouldn’t shock me to see the NHL-AHL-CHL allow another OA or two on CHL rosters due to the circumstances. As far as imports go, who knows right now? That being said, I think Flint has a better chance than most of having both imports return and report.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015

Lombardi - Petrou

Gretz - Harper
Deline

Cavallin
Grainer
Nixon (Jr. B???)
Really depends on who we get back in trade. Four of those guys will probably not be in the picture. General Pete, after not seeing much of you the last 4 years, it is so nice seeing you involved!

Last edited:

General Pete

May 22, 2019
Clarkston, MI
Really depends on who we get back in trade. Four of those guys will probably not be in the picture. General Pete, after not seeing much of you the last 4 years, it is so nice seeing you involved!

Thanks TC. I just found out about this site! I was shocked there were other people like me who care about hockey in Flint. With the red wings being no good, the Firebirds are just up the road for me now and I am takin a liking to them

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Piercey-Kressler-Oksentyuk
Othmann-Lombardi-Pierce
Petrou-Giroux-Hayes

McCourt (OA)-Busby(OA)
Gretz-Kolyachonok
Harper-Deline

Cavallin
Grainer
Nixon- Jr. B

Yule and Roberts will lose out to Wismer as OAs on front end. Lalonde will lose out to Busby and McCourt on back end. Assuming Tucker is in AHL.

Top 7 forwards are set in stone, and it will be up to other 5 fwds to dictate their role and position in lineup.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Othmann-Lombardi-Pierce
Petrou-Giroux-Hayes

McCourt (OA)-Busby(OA)
Gretz-Kolyachonok
Harper-Deline

Cavallin
Grainer
Nixon- Jr. B

Yule and Roberts will lose out to Wismer as OAs on front end. Lalonde will lose out to Busby and McCourt on back end. Assuming Tucker is in AHL.

Top 7 forwards are set in stone, and it will be up to other 5 fwds to dictate their role and position in lineup.
This is a very realistic and likely line up given no additions. I would like to see what Kressler could do with 2C icetime and those linemates but if they’re serious about competing I think they’d be better suited to adding a really solid 1st line level Center to play with Oksentyuk and Piercey. Give them two potent lines and let Kressler Center Othmann with someone else. Even that would be a good line, not mention I’m pretty confident in Kressler’s ability to play a shutdown role whenever necessary. I thought his motor and defensive abilities were superior to Ty at the same age. Additional depth at the blue line is necessary too. Whether via trade or a signing.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Othmann-Lombardi-Pierce
Petrou-Giroux-Hayes

McCourt (OA)-Busby(OA)
Gretz-Kolyachonok
Harper-Deline

Cavallin
Grainer
Nixon- Jr. B

I think that it is Lalonde (Windsor) that stays, and Busby (Barrie) that is traded east. If Flint is set on acquiring a #1 C, they will likely need to part with a promising player(s) such as Giroux and maybe one of Dunbar or Roy. Until then, an older and bigger player with the smaller rookies might be a good idea. I actually believe that third line could be pretty darn good at mid-season.

Keppen-Morgan-Wismer
Othman-Kressler-Oksentyuk
Piercy-Giroux-Hayes
Lombardi-Petrou-Pierce

Kolyachonok-Lalonde
McCourt-Gretz
Deline-Harper

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I think that it is Lalonde (Windsor) that stays, and Busby (Barrie) that is traded east. If Flint is set on acquiring a #1 C, they will likely need to part with a promising player(s) such as Giroux and maybe one of Dunbar or Roy. Until then, an older and bigger player with the smaller rookies might be a good idea. I actually believe that third line could be pretty darn good at mid-season.

Keppen-Morgan-Wismer
Othman-Kressler-Oksentyuk
Piercy-Giroux-Hayes
Lombardi-Petrou-Pierce

Kolyachonok-Lalonde
McCourt-Gretz
Deline-Harper
In this above scenario, Busby and Connor Robert's would be available for some good picks and/or players.

Reactions: dirty12

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
What's the chances the AHL has a delay in start and guys like Dellandrea and Tucker come back?

I did see someone who covers the CHL on twitter talking about the crazy circumstances, and just maybe the CHL would allow maybe a 4th or 5th OA, next year because most people seem to think all of the hockey world will be delayed a bit. They also talked about the uncertainty of the import draft, due to travel restrictions.

I think guys like Tucker who would have gotten a taste of the AHL after the OHL season could deff be in limbo now. Ty maybe as well.

With all the restrictions right now, could a season start in December? January? Instead of 68 games, its 50? 40? you only play your conference games to limit travel?

Reactions: three dog night

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I think there will be a season, maybe slightly delayed. But with new info coming out daily about this virus, the more it seems normal will be returning soon. Ohio statistically seems to be about done with the corona from the information I have seen.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
It would be shocking to see a kid (AB) from Belleville, Ontario select the USHL over the OHL. I suppose srranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad