Flint Firebirds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The NCAA route is often very attractive to goaltenders just because of their usual development timeline. Really thrilled to see Nixon signed. With Cavallin, Grainer and now Nixon in the fold I’m a bit more comfortable with near and long term future of the Firebirds net. It also makes me confident the org has moved on from a strong belief they can sign Gray or Linton. Wouldn’t be surprised to see one more G signed or traded for just this year as insurance.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Not sure I agree.....think about being that goalie, with no real commitment to play why would you sign to be the third or fourth goalie? By doing that you give up NCAA possibilities don't you? As a parent I would never let me child sign unless at a minimum you knew he was going t be the backup.....not challenge for a backup spot. Great for the Team but you need to look after your best interests too.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Not sure I agree.....think about being that goalie, with no real commitment to play why would you sign to be the third or fourth goalie? By doing that you give up NCAA possibilities don't you? As a parent I would never let me child sign unless at a minimum you knew he was going t be the backup.....not challenge for a backup spot. Great for the Team but you need to look after your best interests too.
Saggy, I do not think he is going to be handed the back-up goalie position at 15 years of age and being on a contending team. Peyton Grainer, Christian Linton, and Chase Clark will have something to say/prove about that. The best performer will be the backup. The Firebirds could trade for a veteran goalie as well to pair with Cavallin.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don't think Linton and Clark are in the running. They are '02s like Grainer. They gave Grainer two preseason games last year and one regular season game. If an '02 is the backup, it's Grainer.

Reactions: Saggy and Toldyaso

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I don't think Linton and Clark are in the running. They are '02s like Grainer. They gave Grainer two preseason games last year and one regular season game. If an '02 is the backup, it's Grainer.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but Grainer also lives only 40 minutes from Flint and could be in the building with barely a moment's notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Saw Shane Wright mentioned that the toughest opponent in his first year in the OHL was Ty Dellandrea in an interview on TSN. Hopefully his hardwork can continue to grow with the rest of the young guys on the team and they can have continued success.

Could Grainer be like Flint's "EG" this year, where hes available for practices and comes to games in case one of the goalies go down? Looking at previous Whalers teams, they would often have 3-4 goalies played over the year. I am sure some of it is to give the young guy a taste of competition to know how to get better.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...Could Grainer be like Flint's "EG" this year, where hes available for practices and comes to games in case one of the goalies go down?...
That's exactly how they used him last year, and why I posted what I did. He may be their legitimate #2, or he may be a guy who's good enough to serve in a pinch, and lives close enough to be at the rink in uniform when called upon.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Grainer very well could be the leading candidate for the back-up, but I hope they bring a veteran goaltender in.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Grainer very well could be the leading candidate for the back-up, but I hope they bring a veteran goaltender in.
I was talking to my barber and he believes Flint and Guelph will deal again and possibly see Daws coming US bound.

Reactions: Toldyaso

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Thats the front line news I like to hear! hahaha

If true be interesting. Would Flint want to roll an OA spot on a goalie over a position player?
If its Daws as an OA, yes. They can trade some 2000s for 01 help.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I was talking to my barber and he believes Flint and Guelph will deal again and possibly see Daws coming US bound.

Not sure how I feel about that.

I thought Cavallin was 1B last year when he wasn't hurt. I thought he was playing really well down the stretch and thought for a few he might steal the job from Popovich, but then Popovich stepped his game up.

Will feel really bad for Cav if this is true, unless hes going back the other way to be the #1 for Guelph. I thought he took some big strides last year, he just got hit by the injury bug a few times, and I know that didn't help his case.

Reactions: jprenkert

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
If its Daws as an OA, yes. They can trade some 2000s for 01 help.
I would consider Daws an upgrade over Cavallin, but not enough of an upgrade to justify cutting loose one of Flint's other OA candiates PLUS whatever it would take to make the deal happen. Flint already has to part ways with 2 or 3 OAs, and Guelph has no need for one in return.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Would it be better to roll with the OA at positions over goaltending? To me it would make sense to have the experience of position guys who could help protect and play team defense around a goalie that make the timely saves.

Looking at Daws stats this past year, noticed that overall, Guelph allowed 34 less goals than Flint (274GA (Flint) and 209GA (Guelph). Was it on Daws or the system a rebuilding Guelph was running? Could Guelph keep him based on OA and try and make a sneaky run?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Would it be better to roll with the OA at positions over goaltending? To me it would make sense to have the experience of position guys who could help protect and play team defense around a goalie that make the timely saves.

Looking at Daws stats this past year, noticed that overall, Guelph allowed 34 less goals than Flint (274GA (Flint) and 209GA (Guelph). Was it on Daws or the system a rebuilding Guelph was running? Could Guelph keep him based on OA and try and make a sneaky run?
In my mind, if Branch makes this trade happen, he'd better turn his expendable OAs into contributing roster players first. Not an easy task.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Thats why I dont think they would go after an OA goalie when they have a decent goalie already. If anything, you find a younger guy who another team is tired of or needs a fresh start, etc. Wasn't there rumblings Barrie may trade one of their goalies?

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Thats why I dont think they would go after an OA goalie when they have a decent goalie already. If anything, you find a younger guy who another team is tired of or needs a fresh start, etc. Wasn't there rumblings Barrie may trade one of their goalies?
I'd agree, but it's obvious that Branch has a definite affinity for having and OA goaltender on the roster.

Last edited:

winnerskull

Jan 3, 2017
Sounds like Silovs from Barrie would be a good fit. You would have to trade back one of the current imports but given the current goalie market, getting an import goalie in some way might be the only option.

Going into the season with Cavallin as the starter with nothing much behind him just isn't a good idea.

Reactions: jprenkert

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Sounds like Silovs from Barrie would be a good fit. You would have to trade back one of the current imports but given the current goalie market, getting an import goalie in some way might be the only option.

Going into the season with Cavallin as the starter with nothing much behind him just isn't a good idea.
Soooo....flip Busby to his hometown Colts for Silovs, and then deal Cavallin (+) for Daws...???

EDIT---Sorry...I forgot about the necessary Import part of that trade. I say NO WAY does Flint change their Imports up.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit

Thats my line of thinking after a quick look. But may depend on what happens with the Imports do that Flint already have. Koly will be back and not sure if Oksentyuk will be back as he can play AHL if drafted, i thought i heard. Or he could go play pro back overseas for a year or two. Maybe trade an overager for a goalie and a draft pick(s)? Could be a fantasy trade but never know.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Geno and Koly are best friends, there is absolutely no way they would trade one of them. Geno is in Flint because of Koly.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I would consider Daws an upgrade over Cavallin, but not enough of an upgrade to justify cutting loose one of Flint's other OA candiates PLUS whatever it would take to make the deal happen. Flint already has to part ways with 2 or 3 OAs, and Guelph has no need for one in return.

Agree you with 100%, he's an upgrade for sure.

I just don't think the assets you have to give up to get him, and then HOPE you get back for the then 3 other OA's you need to move would be worth it.

I think I'd rather have 2 solid OA D.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Exactly. 100% agree. Did nobody watch Cavallin play last year? He had the nearly the EXACT same stats as Popovich last year with a couple differences. One. He had a better win percentage. Two. Wellwood was much quicker to pull him if anything went wrong. Thereby negatively affecting his stats more than Popovich. Up until the very end of the season when Poppy really got going (and under a serious workload too) I wanted Cav to be given the reigns. Over the last two seasons there were a number of Cavallin detractors in my section. I spent nearly the entire 2018-19 season defending him as he was ruthlessly shelled by high quality chances. This year every one of those detractors were pulling for Cavallin to get the nod. He’s more than earned it. He deserves it and the only doubt I have about him performing is his ability to stay healthy. If the Docs say he’s good, he’s the guy and Guelph can keep Daws who wasn’t quite the same post WJC as he was earlier in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad