Flint Firebirds 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not IF true.....YES it is very true

I don’t think you will find much success spinning a positive into a negative; or, convincing anyone that you knew something everyone already knew. Phibbs, Winterton, Uba, Holmes, Harris, Pierce, & Kressler were vying for the final three forward spots. Players not guaranteed minutes will request a trade; and, teams with more players than needed will move them to save education money, available cards, add picks, and keep a locker room happy. It’s happened in London, it is happening now in Ottawa and Flint, it will happen anywhere there is surplus.

Last edited:

General Pete

May 22, 2019
Clarkston, MI
Wow just reading some of these comments about Wellwood. I thought he was well liked addition to the team. I’m guessing the comments are from past staff, players etc

My guess is past staff too...Im retired, I got time... I spent a lot of time reading through each persons comments on here. check out Hockey61Fan. Created the week after Oulahen resigned. Branch and Wellwood are always the focus in a lot of posts. Then he talks about a press conference about him saying I and not We...the only person that would take offense to that my guess would be is the coaching staff who wasn't getting the credit. Then his next post says wellwood is not the coach branch thinks he is... the only people who would know who Wellwood would be like or be like behind closed doors is...former coaches on his staff.

HockeyForLife14
N Da No
Fntfirbirdfan
Firebirdsfan21

All in the same boat. I think its best to just disregard their replies and continue our current conversations without them from now on.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
My guess is past staff too...Im retired, I got time... I spent a lot of time reading through each persons comments on here. check out Hockey61Fan. Created the week after Oulahen resigned. Branch and Wellwood are always the focus in a lot of posts. Then he talks about a press conference about him saying I and not We...the only person that would take offense to that my guess would be is the coaching staff who wasn't getting the credit. Then his next post says wellwood is not the coach branch thinks he is... the only people who would know who Wellwood would be like or be like behind closed doors is...former coaches on his staff.

HockeyForLife14
N Da No
Fntfirbirdfan
Firebirdsfan21

All in the same boat. I think its best to just disregard their replies and continue our current conversations without them from now on.
We’ve been disregarding the posts for awhile now

Reactions: Gensdef

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018

HockeyForLife14
N Da No
Fntfirbirdfan
Firebirdsfan21

For the record. NONE of my posts have made any reference to what has occurred behind closed doors. Everything I have said in any of my posts are my opinions and my opinions only from what I have observed.
As I said before I am not past staff or player. Believe want you want, you are entitled.
In regards to my post about his first press conference. I have coached sports for 30 years and this is a team sport and all coaches no matter the sport should be in it for the team and not themselves. When I watched his press conference it was the first thing that stuck out to me.
When I created my profile is irrelevant. I could say you are a new players parent or new player considering when your profile was created. BUT to me that doesn't matter. These are forums and everyone posting has a right to their opinions. Again remember they are opinions. Facts must now be vetted.

Have a great evening.
Go Firebirds!!!!!

Reactions: TcNorth

Fntfirebirdfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not sure why I'm mentioned here, I've never mentioned anything about the coaching or staff just one particular player that wanted to be traded.

HockeyForLife14
N Da No
Fntfirbirdfan
Firebirdsfan21

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
For the record. NONE of my posts have made any reference to what has occurred behind closed doors. Everything I have said in any of my posts are my opinions and my opinions only from what I have observed.
As I said before I am not past staff or player. Believe want you want, you are entitled.
In regards to my post about his first press conference. I have coached sports for 30 years and this is a team sport and all coaches no matter the sport should be in it for the team and not themselves. When I watched his press conference it was the first thing that stuck out to me.
When I created my profile is irrelevant. I could say you are a new players parent or new player considering when your profile was created. BUT to me that doesn't matter. These are forums and everyone posting has a right to their opinions. Again remember they are opinions. Facts must now be vetted.

Have a great evening.
Go Firebirds!!!!!
Yes, everyone has the right to their opinions, but there are Some here who will question, challenge, and monitor everything you say so be very careful. Some comments should be challenged, but most here think their opinions are more important than others. That part gets very old when we all have a stake and a great interest in our team.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

HockeyForLife14
N Da No
Fntfirbirdfan
Firebirdsfan21

Not sure I would include Hockey61fan with all of that group. I'm not sure I'd even group all of those together. Uba asking to be traded has been floated before and like I said, he's 19, has produced and performed. Wasn't getting a lot of ice last year and didn't look to be getting a lot this year. It's common league wide for a player in that situation to ask to be traded. I don't take it as a slight to Flint or the Firebirds and wish him well. I get the point about Wellwood saying "me" instead of "us" but most high Level, Quality coaches come with either a little or a lot of arrogance. The team was a mess when Wellwood came on and might have been just saying "follow me boys. Trust me and we'll get this ship righted." And they kind of did, so.... We will have a better idea this year.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Have
Yes, everyone has the right to their opinions, but there are Some here who will question, challenge, and monitor everything you say so be very careful. Some comments should be challenged, but most here think their opinions are more important than others. That part gets very old when we all have a stake and a great interest in our team.
Have you tried not being wrong all the time? Most of us have had disagreements on here, sometimes heated. You're the only one who cries about it so much. Relax. Quit being offended so easily.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Have

Have you tried not being wrong all the time? Most of us have had disagreements on here, sometimes heated. You're the only one who cries about it so much. Relax. Quit being offended so easily.
You are making my point! You are the biggest offender. Hollier than thou. Writing, 250, 300 word post (or more) like only you have an opinion. Always the first to criticize or call names like you are the forum police. I rarely read your long long post, but that is my perogative. Much to your chagrin and some of your cronies I am not going anywhere! Going to still support the Firebirds wether you like it or not. You cannot control me like some of your friends. This is the last I will connent on you because you already think you and only you has all the answers.

Last edited:

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017

HockeyForLife14
N Da No
Fntfirbirdfan
Firebirdsfan21

How did I get lumped in with N DA No?
Wow, I must have really went down hill.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
In regards to General Pete's inquiry about a few of us being former players/staff. I can announce that I have never played hockey in an organized manner for any team, nor have I ever coached any hockey team or been associated with any sports organization with a hockey team. I am a sports enthusiast. I have played football through high school, baseball, softball up until a number of years ago. I am in no way associated/paid by the Flint Firebirds in any manner. I purchase my own season tickets unlike some. I enjoy the game and will continue to do so regards less of people's opinions.

I have made no mention of either trade that has happened so far on these boards. Nor have I spoken poorly about Wellwood. The only person that I haven't been sold on in the organization is Branch.

My opinion on the trades regardless of whether the players wanted out were this. We had too many forwards. We didn't graduate any last year with two possible OA's returning this year in Phibbs/Durham. We signed three more forwards this summer. Thus by basic addition subtraction we had at least a surplus. If they requested a trade, they have that right to. From what I saw last year neither player quit on the team during the season. I wish them the best.

Looking forward to training camp in less than 2 weeks. I will be in attendance at the scrimmages.

Last edited:
Reactions: TcNorth

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Thank goodness this forum is a "gun free" zone. If you don't like what someone has to say on here I suggest you go right to the top with your concern. Go and seek out both the owner and GM of this franchise. Ask them, express your concerns and demand TRUTHFUL answers to your questions. Believe it or not you all have a lot of power (for if it were not for you very loyal and dedicated STH) there would be no Flint Firebirds. You, STH who have supported this team since Day 1 in Flint deserve the right to know what really is going on with this franchise and the future of the OHL in Flint.

Stop and ask yourself why the suspended owner, who had the opportunity to have his suspension removed did not have that happen?

Ask yourself, while going into the fourth year of OHL management, the league has not be able to find anyone interested in purchasing this franchise?

Just think of the number of people over those past four years that have either PURCHASED an OHL franchise or at least invested in an OHL team.

Why not Flint? There are many obstacles in existence which has prevented this from happening in Flint. Time is running out...the OHL DOES NOT want the current owner to have full control of the franchise AND the OHL has not been able to find an interested, qualified and RESPECTABLE party to purchase the team. So you all tell the rest of the hockey world what's going to happen once the the five year suspension is over with. Its just a shame that you have not been granted the decency as to what has really transpired in Flint since the team has been there. Fore if you knew, I am certain that you would NOT be as supportive of this organization as you have exhibited on this forum.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Thank goodness this forum is a "gun free" zone. If you don't like what someone has to say on here I suggest you go right to the top with your concern. Go and seek out both the owner and GM of this franchise. Ask them, express your concerns and demand TRUTHFUL answers to your questions. Believe it or not you all have a lot of power (for if it were not for you very loyal and dedicated STH) there would be no Flint Firebirds. You, STH who have supported this team since Day 1 in Flint deserve the right to know what really is going on with this franchise and the future of the OHL in Flint.

Stop and ask yourself why the suspended owner, who had the opportunity to have his suspension removed did not have that happen?

Ask yourself, while going into the fourth year of OHL management, the league has not be able to find anyone interested in purchasing this franchise?

Just think of the number of people over those past four years that have either PURCHASED an OHL franchise or at least invested in an OHL team.

Why not Flint? There are many obstacles in existence which has prevented this from happening in Flint. Time is running out...the OHL DOES NOT want the current owner to have full control of the franchise AND the OHL has not been able to find an interested, qualified and RESPECTABLE party to purchase the team. So you all tell the rest of the hockey world what's going to happen once the the five year suspension is over with. Its just a shame that you have not been granted the decency as to what has really transpired in Flint since the team has been there. Fore if you knew, I am certain that you would NOT be as supportive of this organization as you have exhibited on this forum.
Here's the issue...you keep telling others on this forum to "go and demand truthful answers" and to "stop and ask yourself" what the REAL underlying problems with this franchise supposedly are. You leave no doubt in anyone's mind that you believe that you know the "truth", but yet you're unwilling to share any of that truth, again, telling others to go and seek it out for themselves. Well, if you are a source of these "truths", then why shouldn't you be providing them to others, if you, as you claim, want others to also be "N DA NO"???? Dare I suggest that it's because you, yourself, really don't know either??? I mean, your track record on being correct certainly would suggest that's the case. If' you are indeed the holder of such great insider knowledge, then why continue to tell others to seek the same information elsewhere??? Come clean...either with what you know and how you know it, or come clean with the fact that you really don't know crap, and your posts are nothing more than pure speculation of what the "worst case scenario" might be.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Come clean...either with what you know and how you know it, or come clean with the fact that you really don't know crap, and your posts are nothing more than pure speculation of what the "worst case scenario" might be.

1000000000000%

0 for 100 at least. Just keeps throwing s#!t to the wall hoping something sticks.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Be glad when the season gets started. Maybe we can talk hockey instead of what might happen to the team in the future. Maybe. Is there problems behind the scenes. Probably, but like FireBird71 said. I will keep getting season ticks as long as the team is here.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I like some of N Da No's input. He/she is not always correct, but not many are. I support our players, but like seeing this organization occasionally challenged. No one challenges Rolf and this organization more than N Da No. I agree that he/she should divulge more of what they know.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I like some of N Da No's input. He/she is not always correct, but not many are. I support our players, but like seeing this organization occasionally challenged. No one challenges Rolf and this organization more than N Da No. I agree that he/she should divulge more of what they know.
I appreciate it, too....usually. It’s just that the dangling carrot, I-know-something-the-rest-of-you-don’t-know-and-I’m-going-to tell-you-all-that-you-should-go-find-out-what-I-know-but-I’m-not-about-to-actually-share-any-of-it-with-you-instead-I’m-gonna-big-time-you act is wearing pretty thin.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I like some of N Da No's input. He/she is not always correct, but not many are.

Try NEVER. I went back in the spring and looked at her history. There is nothing from the "Emails", to Dallas, to the ECHL, nothing is ever correct. A few of the things she has claimed to have broke the news on here, was found on twitter from others.

I appreciate it, too....usually. It’s just that the dangling carrot, I-know-something-the-rest-of-you-don’t-know-and-I’m-going-to tell-you-all-that-you-should-go-find-out-what-I-know-but-I’m-not-about-to-actually-share-any-of-it-with-you-instead-I’m-gonna-big-time-you act is wearing pretty thin.

She's had so many post deleted on useless speculation. After a year + if she had any kind of useful information one of the mods on here would have backed her.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
According to a friend in a anothetr organization, there was a inquiry into Flint's availability. However, it is my understanding it was never as imminent as was suggested by Na Da No. True or not? Who knows.

Last edited:

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I know there was outrage early on with a poster in here about their knowledge of inside information. They were vetted by Mods fairly quick and had kept a low profile even after what they discussed came to be and was true.

Now we have the same group (One person/multiple screen names?) bringing up and continually claiming to have some insider information. I think they may have been right the same amount of times Stevie Wonder has seen any of his kids. I myself dont mind speculation on the future and who/where players or team may be headed. It's fun and interesting to hear. Its crazy how it can seem the same group has some axe to grind against the organization and takes some of these rumors/speculation as truth and want to die on that hill. Don't know if its personal or business but seems this person/group/people are trying to negative Nancy this team into oblivion. There always a " if you only knew the truth". Well what is it? Have yet to hear a truth come from this group/person/people.

Reactions: MJ5 and Gensdef

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I wouldn’t defend anyone who intentionally spreads false information. The world already has enough of that, no question.

But at the same time, hard questions about the Flint franchise need to be asked. Not, I’d suggest, to intentionally rock the boat or upset a dedicated fan base, but instead to offer the current and future players some semblance of transparency so they can make reasonably well-informed decisions.

Please let me explain.

A typical minor midget prospect is drafted the year he turns 16, just a few months before he finishes grade 10 in high school. He is a minor — too young to drink, drive, vote, serve in the military, purchase a lottery ticket, rent a hotel room, get married without parental consent ..... the list goes on and on.

He is a kid. I know, I coach them before they arrive at your doorstep.

Remember, these young men have 2 full junior seasons to play while they are still high school age, and then up to 3 additional seasons following this. They are not in any way, shape or form “grown men” when they arrive in Flint, and they won’t even be 18 year old high school graduates until their 3rd season in the league.

Do these young men and their parents have the right to meet the people who own the franchise that drafted them? Remember, these players did not fill out some form stating, “Please send me to the Flint Firebirds (or the Sarnia Sting, Guelph Storm, etc.).” Teams chose them, not the other way around.

Should they be told that a franchise is or is not planning to stay in the same city moving forward? Should they be told if the current owner or ownership group intends to remain in place moving forward? In the case of Flint, should they be told if the currently suspended owner intends to pursue reinstatement in the future?

Remember, they are kids, not adults, and they are usually moving far away from home and their parents for the first time in their lives. This is not the same as taking a part-time summer job at a local diner. No, this is a life-altering change with real-life ramifications.

As fans, you must remember that the players provide you with entertainment for your hard-earned dollars, but you do not pay them and they are not beholden to you. They perform for you at the leisure of the club’s owner, the individual who owns your team, the facility, and collects your money. They work for him, and anyone else to whom the players must answer is simply the owner’s proxy.

Which brings me to an issue about which I am well-informed from the source (I coached the individual in the past) but hesitate to raise on this board.

Please keep in mind that I am and always have been a “Players First” kind of guy and have no personal axe to grind with any posters or the Flint organization in general.

So here is the situation: one of your young prospects (unlikely to play on the team this upcoming season) and his parents wanted to meet the owner of the team. The young man’s parents wanted to ask direct, pointed questions and get answers from the source. They were not given this opportunity. To their credit as parents of a boy who just turned 16 a few weeks ago, they stuck to their guns and insisted on meeting the owner face-to-face as “Step 1” of their own due diligence process. They were rebuffed.

I do not know, nor do I claim to know, “inside information” about the franchise. But I do strongly believe that parents of minor-age children have a responsibility to ask hard questions, and the club has an ethical duty to provide honest, forthright answers so that parents can provide the guidance they are supposed to.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I wouldn’t defend anyone who intentionally spreads false information. The world already has enough of that, no question.

But at the same time, hard questions about the Flint franchise need to be asked. Not, I’d suggest, to intentionally rock the boat or upset a dedicated fan base, but instead to offer the current and future players some semblance of transparency so they can make reasonably well-informed decisions.

Please let me explain.

A typical minor midget prospect is drafted the year he turns 16, just a few months before he finishes grade 10 in high school. He is a minor — too young to drink, drive, vote, serve in the military, purchase a lottery ticket, rent a hotel room, get married without parental consent ..... the list goes on and on.

He is a kid. I know, I coach them before they arrive at your doorstep.

Remember, these young men have 2 full junior seasons to play while they are still high school age, and then up to 3 additional seasons following this. They are not in any way, shape or form “grown men” when they arrive in Flint, and they won’t even be 18 year old high school graduates until their 3rd season in the league.

Do these young men and their parents have the right to meet the people who own the franchise that drafted them? Remember, these players did not fill out some form stating, “Please send me to the Flint Firebirds (or the Sarnia Sting, Guelph Storm, etc.).” Teams chose them, not the other way around.

Should they be told that a franchise is or is not planning to stay in the same city moving forward? Should they be told if the current owner or ownership group intends to remain in place moving forward? In the case of Flint, should they be told if the currently suspended owner intends to pursue reinstatement in the future?

Remember, they are kids, not adults, and they are usually moving far away from home and their parents for the first time in their lives. This is not the same as taking a part-time summer job at a local diner. No, this is a life-altering change with real-life ramifications.

As fans, you must remember that the players provide you with entertainment for your hard-earned dollars, but you do not pay them and they are not beholden to you. They perform for you at the leisure of the club’s owner, the individual who owns your team, the facility, and collects your money. They work for him, and anyone else to whom the players must answer is simply the owner’s proxy.

Which brings me to an issue about which I am well-informed from the source (I coached the individual in the past) but hesitate to raise on this board.

Please keep in mind that I am and always have been a “Players First” kind of guy and have no personal axe to grind with any posters or the Flint organization in general.

So here is the situation: one of your young prospects (unlikely to play on the team this upcoming season) and his parents wanted to meet the owner of the team. The young man’s parents wanted to ask direct, pointed questions and get answers from the source. They were not given this opportunity. To their credit as parents of a boy who just turned 16 a few weeks ago, they stuck to their guns and insisted on meeting the owner face-to-face as “Step 1” of their own due diligence process. They were rebuffed.

I do not know, nor do I claim to know, “inside information” about the franchise. But I do strongly believe that parents of minor-age children have a responsibility to ask hard questions, and the club has an ethical duty to provide honest, forthright answers so that parents can provide the guidance they are supposed to.

All good points and believe it or not most of us completely understand each of them. Concerning the parents wanting to meet with the owner well I am not entirely certain that he can even do that under the terms of his suspension. I could be completely wrong but as I understood it he cannot be involved in hockey operations beyond the financial aspect of team operations while his suspension is in force.

Reactions: MJ5

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
All good points and believe it or not most of us completely understand each of them. Concerning the parents wanting to meet with the owner well I am not entirely certain that he can even do that under the terms of his suspension. I could be completely wrong but as I understood it he cannot be involved in hockey operations beyond the financial aspect of team operations while his suspension is in force.
I believe that as well. However, the professional thing to do is advise the parents of that and Birch and Branch should get the answers for them. Not blow them off.

Reactions: TcNorth and N Da No
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad