Flint Firebirds 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Training Camp...Aug 26, 27, 28.

Final Camp Blue vs White game is Wed Aug 28 @ 6:00pm at Iceland Arena.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Looks pretty strong. I like it, but my thoughts are...
-You’ve got your fingers crossed hoping that Oksentyuk is a 1st line winger right from the word “go”. I think it’s more likely that Roberts is allowed the chance to play there. That's where he spent most of his time prior to injury last year, if I recall correctly. He’ll get moved down if he doesn’t perform.
-Didn’t Vierling and Holmes play together a lot at the end of the season, when they both shook off their funk and were playing their best hockey? I’d start the season with the two of them together, even though that technically puts one of them out of position.
-Everything is subject to shakeup because of the open OA spot(s?) that you mentioned, and the stockpile of draft picks/trade bait.
Yeah, lots of ways things could shake out. I just like the protection (not that much is needed in the O anymore though) that Roberts offers with Vierling and Othmann. Oksentyuk has 49 games in the Belarusian Men's league and was a 1st line skater with their U18 squad and WJC D1 club, so I'm expecting him to be able to handle minutes and the pace of the OHL if he can adjust to operating in tighter quarters, which it looks like he should from his highlights. Vierling's vision and ability to distribute the puck combined with Oksentyuk's ability to finish and possess the puck and then Othmann on the other side does sound good too. I know it's 2019, not 1991 but I'd still like a little more bang and grit spread throughout the roster.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Updated: Flint has some good future inventory to hopefully snare an OA or two:

2nd. Sault Ste. Marie
3rd. Flint
3rd. Guelph

2nd Flint
2nd Missisauga
3rd. Flint
3rd. Kirchner

2nd. Flint
3rd. Flint
3rd. Sudbury

2nd. Flint
2nd. Hamilton
3rd. Flint

2nd. Flint
2nd. Hamilton
2nd. Guelph
3rd. Flint

Last edited:

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Wellwood is a good guy, the one thing that I don't like about him is his obsession in regards to Windsor. Should the Spitfires head coaching position becomes available it will be interesting as to who ends up as the new coach there.
Not just with the Spitfires He is obsessed with himself. Go back and listen to his first press conference. Not once did he mention "we" as a team. It was all me and my.....

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think it takes 8-12 games for Othmann & Oksentyuk to adjust to the league; probably, 24+ for Kressler if he is even in the line up regularly early on.
Still moves to come and a bit of a wait for Dellandrea. Until then:

Durham-Holmes/Dellandrea-Roberts
Keppen-Morgan-Wismer
Othmann-Vierling-Oksentyuk
Harris-Holmes/Kressler-Pierce

Kolyachonok-Busby
McCourt-Gretz
Bianconi-Bangs/Deline/Harper

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Flint has some good future inventory to hopefully snare an OA or two:

2nd Flint
2nd Missisauga
3rd. Flint
3rd. Kirchner

2nd. Flint
3rd. Flint
3rd. Sudbury

2nd. Flint
2nd. Hamilton
3rd. Flint

2nd. Flint
2nd. Hamilton
2nd. Guelph
3rd. Flint

As for 2020 we only have the Greyhounds 2nd and Guelph's 3rd.

2020 is good too.
SSM-2nd, Gue-3rd, 3rd, 4th, 3-5ths

Reactions: TcNorth

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
For a team trying to get out of the cellar, and from a depth standpoint, Uba was a big loss. He wasnt a 4th line player. He was certainly more valuable than a few others on the team. Not much you can do if he wanted out. Others will need to step up.

Reactions: Fntfirebirdfan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
For a team trying to get out of the cellar, and from a depth standpoint, Uba was a big loss. He wasnt a 4th line player. He was certainly more valuable than a few others on the team. Not much you can do if he wanted out. Others will need to step up.

Not more valuable than Dellandrea, Roberts, Durham, Keppen, Wismer, 2nd overall picks Vierling & Othmann or import Oksentyuk, imo. Maybe he had more value in a trade than the other 4th liners. As a 19 yr old and not in the plans to be an OA for Flint, a trade was best for both the team and Uba.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Not more valuable than Dellandrea, Roberts, Durham, Keppen, Wismer, 2nd overall picks Vierling & Othmann or import Oksentyuk, imo. Maybe he had more value in a trade than the other 4th liners. As a 19 yr old and not in the plans to be an OA for Flint, a trade was best for both the team and Uba.
He’s only one player, but I do not think this trade helped Flint at all. His 42 points are gone and one piece of our thin depth.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
He’s only one player, but I do not think this trade helped Flint at all. His 42 points are gone and one piece of our thin depth.
I don’t know...I just really can’t imagine that anyone is going to be sitting around in January thinking, “Man, if only we still had Uba...”

Reactions: Gensdef and MJ5

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Uba would have helped the firebirds more (this season) than Kressler, no doubt; possibly Holmes, Harris and Pierce too. But that’s a lot of 4th line players using up limited cards. Being 19, RW which the firebirds have more of than LW, and able to return a 3rd &*5th made it the right move for the team, imo. And now Uba has a real chance at moving up a line up and an OA season.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Uba would have helped the firebirds more (this season) than Kressler, no doubt; possibly Holmes, Harris and Pierce too. But that’s a lot of 4th line players using up limited cards. Being 19, RW which the firebirds have more of than LW, and able to return a 3rd &*5th made it the right move for the team, imo. And now Uba has a real chance at moving up a line up and an OA season.
Completely agree. I think 828 and MJ5 are right and TC has a point too but Uba would be taking Ice and development time away from Kressler, Harris and Pierce. All of whom are younger and will be around for a bit longer. Uba was a great safety valve in that he could play on any line and fit and produce but he wasn't going to get top 6 minutes barring injuries this year and he deserves that. Roll those top 3 lines and shelter the kids on the 4th line this year. Be smart in using those assets you just gained.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
I don’t know...I just really can’t imagine that anyone is going to be sitting around in January thinking, “Man, if only we still had Uba...”
Totally Agree. Would it have been nice to have him for depth yes. Dont want a player that doesnt want to be here though if that is true.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Depth players are important. Red Wings Draper and Maltby made a living on it and were instrumental parts in winning Stanley Cups. Personally speaking, there are only a handful of players on this team I would be saying in January I would wish we still had them. I get the point about Pierce and Harris, but think Uba is a superior player to them. That's all.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Just drove past Dort Federal on I-69, and man, it’s time for that last of the three banners that hang in the outside of the arena to be taken down. The three looked great when they were fresh and new, but now two of them are gone, the hardware that held them up remains, and the one that still hangs is sun faded and tattered. It’s detracting from the image rather than adding to it at this point. Three new banners would be awesome.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Wow just reading some of these comments about Wellwood. I thought he was well liked addition to the team. I’m guessing the comments are from past staff, players etc

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
I can guarantee you I am not past staff or player...I am a season ticket holder who was able to watch him closely on the bench....IMO he is not the coach he or Branch thinks he is....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad