Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
That crowd was Embarrassing! How is this team not drawing good crowds?

Tonight's announced crowd of 2,767 (if you believe that) was once again the least attended of six games in the OHL Friday night.

The three other teams Flint is battling with in the standings drew the following tonight......

Kitchener - 6,606, London - 9,036 and Saginaw 4,326.

Flint's record of 39-18-1-1 is third in the overall in the OHL.

Flint home average attendance thru 29 games is 2,859, seventeenth overall in the OHL.

What's the EXCUSE Flint fans?

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

You should probably post this on facebook and ask your friends.

Most the people here are at 95% of the games, minus the guy who doesn't know how to use stairs.

Reactions: Toldyaso

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
You should probably post this on facebook and ask your friends.

Most the people here are at 95% of the games, minus the guy who doesn't know how to use stairs.

You should probably ask yourself why do you go to 95% of the games while more than 95% of Genesee county is staying away from the Dort on game nights.

And to the guy who doesn't know how to use the stairs......YACKITY-YAX.

Reactions: TcNorth

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
You should probably ask yourself why do you go to 95% of the games while more than 95% of Genesee county is staying away from the Dort on game nights.

And to the guy who doesn't know how to use the stairs......YACKITY-YAX.

I go because I enjoy high level hockey. I will support any team in Flint.

Firebirds? Bucks? They both get my money.

When you ask your friends why they aren't going to the games please report back to us. I personally like nights like tonight, saw another W, great game, a physical game, and getting out of the parking lot was a breeze. A+ in my book.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
I go because I enjoy high level hockey. I will support any team in Flint.

Firebirds? Bucks? They both get my money.

When you ask your friends why they aren't going to the games please report back to us. I personally like nights like tonight, saw another W, great game, a physical game, and getting out of the parking lot was a breeze. A+ in my book.

There are many reason why Flint/Genesee county is not supporting this team (and everyone knows the major one). 95%+ of Genesee County chose to stay away from tonight's game.....they didn't see another W, they didn't see a great game, they didn't see a physical game and they didn't get out of the parking lot in a breeze. Your A+ was a "Never mind" moment for the majority of Genesee county residents.

You know yourself MJ, the way that this team has been playing they deserve much better support, but they are not getting it. Like one fan posted earlier it's an embarrassment.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Was a heck of a game and while the attendence was a little disappointing they were crazy loud for being under 3k. if only the local sports writers would take a little time out of their drunken stupor at the Whitehorse and give them the coverage they deserve. More people would be excited and know that we have a crazy great team here. Yes MLive I'm calling you out. Your Sag Bay City reporter does a great job writing about the Spirit. You need to have a meeting with the Flint reporter and ask why he only posts a story every 3rd game. if you want to see how bad it is create a Junior major hockey magazine in Flipboard and notice how the hottest team in the CHL hardly ever gets mentioned outside of the ohl daily recap the league puts out.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
There are many reason why Flint/Genesee county is not supporting this team (and everyone knows the major one). 95%+ of Genesee County chose to stay away from tonight's game.....they didn't see another W, they didn't see a great game, they didn't see a physical game and they didn't get out of the parking lot in a breeze. Your A+ was a "Never mind" moment for the majority of Genesee county residents.

You know yourself MJ, the way that this team has been playing they deserve much better support, but they are not getting it. Like one fan posted earlier it's an embarrassment.
Well, if they’re gonna be angry and hold some childish grudge against a guy who was trying to get his kid more (undeserved) playing time, then they can be angry at about 90% of all youth sports teams in the area. There’s NOTHING they can do to change things. They’re the ones who probably need some kind of therapy and are missing out on the best hockey this city has EVER seen. Thanks to Rolf Nilsen. If not for him, we’d still be watching the Michigan Warriors with 800 people in the stands. Attendance is still up this year and it will continue to grow whether the people with anger issues come or not. They’re the ones missing out, not us.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Well, if they’re gonna be angry and hold some childish grudge against a guy who was trying to get his kid more (undeserved) playing time, then they can be angry at about 90% of all youth sports teams in the area. There’s NOTHING they can do to change things. They’re the ones who probably need some kind of therapy and are missing out on the best hockey this city has EVER seen. Thanks to Rolf Nilsen. If not for him, we’d still be watching the Michigan Warriors with 800 people in the stands. Attendance is still up this year and it will continue to grow whether the people with anger issues come or not. They’re the ones missing out, not us.

Go talk directly to Rolf to hear what he has to say about the (lack) of support Flint has showed (for what you say is the best hockey this city has EVER seen). Don't you think that with all of the $$$ that Nilsen has put into the franchise that he expected to at least have the building more then 1/2 to 2/3's full on game nights with the way the club has been performing on the ice? I mean come on Savard, both of the other two American based teams are even outdrawing Flint with much smaller sized population markets.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Can’t force people to spend their money on hockey.Maybe they’d prefer to spend it n other things.Anyway...like I’ve stated before...I’ll be there for every home game and I have too much going on in my own life to worry about why people choose not to spend their money on the FireBirds

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Well, you cannot win them all. However, this outcome surprised me.

Remember this time last year when the Firebirds pulled some "surprises" and beat some of the echelon teams? Well, that's what happen with Kingston tonight. This is just a preview of what's to come for Kingston in the future.

Shane Wright nets FIRST career Hat Trick, First Star of the Game......Brennan Othmann -2 for the night.....DECISION......2 points to Kingston.

Saginaw defeats the Bulldogs 8-2 in front of 5,100+ to jump back into first in the division and second overall in the conference with now an important one game in hand on the Firebirds.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Don't make your critical remarks personal. Happens a little too often here and takes away from the otherwise good discussion. Thx

To echo and expand on this, if you all are seeing users who are routinely violating the rules (in case you haven't read them in awhile, you can find them here), then report the content using the "Report" link on the post you wish to report. If there's a user that you would just rather not see their post, then place them on ignore by clicking on their name in their post and then clicking "ignore" on the panel that pops up. If you put them on ignore, please don't announce to the world that you've placed them on ignore. Don't quote their last post and say "Welcome to my ignore list." Don't ever mention who is or isn't on your ignore list. Just place them on ignore and be done with it.

Now, please stop the finger pointing and bickering and get back to discussing your Firebirds.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I see the mood in the room today is pretty low... Think we will be able to keep pace with Sagnasty? I am hoping Sagnasty hits a wall and falls, but doubt that will happen.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Hard to say little bit of an injury bug going on. On a positive note The D line Pierce Deline Harper played solid minutes and contributed scoring. Would like to have everyone back for the last game with Sagnasty and deliver them the drubbing they deserve in our house.

Reactions: jprenkert

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Hard to say little bit of an injury bug going on. On a positive note The D line Pierce Deline Harper played solid minutes and contributed scoring. Would like to have everyone back for the last game with Sagnasty and deliver them the drubbing they deserve in our house.

Aren't you looking past quite a few important games besides Saginaw?

Consider last Saturday's game, Kingston's win put them in a tie for the eight and final playoff spot......anything can happen in the OHL, the game is played on the ice and not on paper.

On Wednesday Owen Sound will be attempting to protect their lead on the seventh spot in the conference and won't be a pushover especially with the typical sparsely attended Wednesday night crowds at the Dort.

With next Saturdays game at home with Windsor, don't you think the that maybe the Spitfires still have thoughts of catching the Firebirds for the fourth spot and first round home ice advantage? Oddly, Windsor has been better on the road then at home most recently, which makes one think that maybe they would be better off finishing in the fifth or sixth spot in the conference.

The next game at the Soo won't be a easy either especially with the Greyhounds still having a chance for the eight and final playoff spot, being only 3 points behind. Expect the Soo to give a battle against the Firebirds even though the soo has not done well with Flint in the season series.

Next Friday at London, is the game that will really tell how the Firebirds stack up with the other top three teams in the conference. The one and only visit into London thus far this season resulted in I believe Flint playing their best game of the season. The Firebirds manhandled London by a score of 6-1. The Knights don't lose many games at home by that type of score.

Following that comes Erie at home in Flint, another team battling for their playoff lives and currently in the eighth and final spot. The Firebirds didn't play up to expectations against Kingst0n and they can't afford to have the same thing happen against Erie.

Five games before the supposedly showdown with Saginaw (and NOT Sagnasty). The game could have absolutely no impact on where either team finishes depending on how both Flint and Saginaw performs in their prior games. Then again, the game could mean everything to the point where the winner of the game gains the advantage in the standings. The other thing to consider is that Saginaw holds a 4-3 series lead and advantage for the I-75 Divide Cup which serves as an incentive for both teams.

Say the Birds fare well in those six games, they still have the last two games remaining on the road......at Kitchener (we all remember what happen the last time they played Kitchener) the Rangers put a halt to Flint's historical 15 game winning streak. The game at Kitchner will be a battle, Kitchener themselves could still be playing for playoff positioning.

Finally, the last game of the season at Erie, it could very well mean absolutely nothing to both teams or it could be pivitol for both clubs.

Injuries as usual will have an impact on where a team ends up finishing......it affects BOTH teams.

Enjoy the ride the rest of the way. It is especially special when the team that you follow and root for is involved in the playoffs.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Would like to have everyone back for the last game with Sagnasty and deliver them the drubbing they deserve in our house.

Will be a solid game with the I75 Cup on the line. Last I checked the series was 4-3 Saginaw with Saginaw leading in goals 35-29, unless Flint can outscore them by 7, it looks like Saginaw will be celebrating the Cup win at the Dort.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I think after a quick glance, that Kitchner will fall to the 4th spot with Flint/Saginaw fighting for the 2/3rd spots and London grabbing 1st. Should be fun to watch and see how it all shakes out. I think alot of people are underestimating Flint and we could make a good run. The pressure is all on London and Sagnasty. Perfect time to undercut them and *fingers crossed* an appearance in the finals at the least.

Sagnasty can have the 1-75 cup, only thing they are good at winning...

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Saginaw is a better team with Wilde, however is we can get Dellandrea and Keppen back I like our chances in that game bcspragu.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Beating Saginaw by 7 would be a tough row to hoe however it has happened before so who knows.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Aren't you looking past quite a few important games besides Saginaw?

Consider last Saturday's game, Kingston's win put them in a tie for the eight and final playoff spot......anything can happen in the OHL, the game is played on the ice and not on paper.

On Wednesday Owen Sound will be attempting to protect their lead on the seventh spot in the conference and won't be a pushover especially with the typical sparsely attended Wednesday night crowds at the Dort.

With next Saturdays game at home with Windsor, don't you think the that maybe the Spitfires still have thoughts of catching the Firebirds for the fourth spot and first round home ice advantage? Oddly, Windsor has been better on the road then at home most recently, which makes one think that maybe they would be better off finishing in the fifth or sixth spot in the conference.

The next game at the Soo won't be a easy either especially with the Greyhounds still having a chance for the eight and final playoff spot, being only 3 points behind. Expect the Soo to give a battle against the Firebirds even though the soo has not done well with Flint in the season series.

Next Friday at London, is the game that will really tell how the Firebirds stack up with the other top three teams in the conference. The one and only visit into London thus far this season resulted in I believe Flint playing their best game of the season. The Firebirds manhandled London by a score of 6-1. The Knights don't lose many games at home by that type of score.

Following that comes Erie at home in Flint, another team battling for their playoff lives and currently in the eighth and final spot. The Firebirds didn't play up to expectations against Kingst0n and they can't afford to have the same thing happen against Erie.

Five games before the supposedly showdown with Saginaw (and NOT Sagnasty). The game could have absolutely no impact on where either team finishes depending on how both Flint and Saginaw performs in their prior games. Then again, the game could mean everything to the point where the winner of the game gains the advantage in the standings. The other thing to consider is that Saginaw holds a 4-3 series lead and advantage for the I-75 Divide Cup which serves as an incentive for both teams.

Say the Birds fare well in those six games, they still have the last two games remaining on the road......at Kitchener (we all remember what happen the last time they played Kitchener) the Rangers put a halt to Flint's historical 15 game winning streak. The game at Kitchner will be a battle, Kitchener themselves could still be playing for playoff positioning.

Finally, the last game of the season at Erie, it could very well mean absolutely nothing to both teams or it could be pivitol for both clubs.

Injuries as usual will have an impact on where a team ends up finishing......it affects BOTH teams.

Enjoy the ride the rest of the way. It is especially special when the team that you follow and root for is involved in the playoffs.
We’re all season ticket holders except for a COUPLE of “us”. We have magnet schedules and the internet. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad