Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I don't really think you can compare them to be honest. Canadian needing work visa to work in the sports industry in the US. Has had paperwork approved to work here several times in the past. Belarussian 17 yr old kid first time application to go to school and play Jr hockey in the US. I can see where one could go much quicker than the other.
...and one with a two-week head start on the other. I'm losing hope.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Since the media news broke has there been any reaction of Wellwood's hiring from the players and other coaches?
This team needs stability. Let's hope this all works out for the best.

MiscAmerica

Oct 3, 2018
...and one with a two-week head start on the other. I'm losing hope.
From what I was reading online it seems as if it’s a 3 to5 week process. Hopefully quicker for Wellwood...but maybe not. There doesn’t seem to be an issue when someone like the NHL is involved but that probably because of the clout that it has and something that the CHL of course doesn’t.
———

He seems like a pretty solid hire to me, so hopefully he does bring some stability and hopefully nothing goes crazy. He’s young enough to relate to the players still at 28 and he’s been through everything career wise. I would think even without the chaos that seems to be attracted to the Firebirds he seems like a good coach to have on the bench.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for pointing that out Naz. I just noticed that Nolan is 60 years old and, not that I'm saying he's old, but maybe communication with teenagers might be a problem. All the best to Coach Wellwood.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Not necessarily true, I would imagine getting a work visa as a Canadian going to the US would be a much simpler process than getting one from Belarus to US.
I would think it would be easier under Trump for Russians and Belarusians?

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Great choice in HC, someone who is young and relatable to this young team, as well as a HC who I'm guessing is more about speed and skill where hockey is changing towards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Great choice in HC, someone who is young and relatable to this young team, as well as a HC who I'm guessing is more and speed and skill where hockey is changing towards.
The more I look at it I just keep feeling better and better about this choice.

Reactions: Bellof

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The more I look at it I just keep feeling better and better about this choice.
Glad you are feeling better. I still see a 0-9 record, but applaud the hire. I do not see a miracle worker, but if he can get our young men competing every shift every game, that would be a huge step in the right direction.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I don't believe people are expecting miracles, just some wins and competitive hockey from our players. They can only go up from here lol

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Just watched the interview. I understand he has hockey experience and has won things but why would a new coach come in and in an interview talk about "MY" system, "MY" team, "MY" winning ways etc. Hockey is a team sport. It should have been about working together with the organization, coaches and players.
Let's hope BB has made the right choice although I get the feeling Wellwood approached him.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Just watched the interview. I understand he has hockey experience and has won things but why would a new coach come in and in an interview talk about "MY" system, "MY" team, "MY" winning ways etc. Hockey is a team sport. It should have been about working together with the organization, coaches and players.
Let's hope BB has made the right choice although I get the feeling Wellwood approached him.
Well, they will be implementing his systems. His forecheck, his defensive zone strategies, transition, cycle and likely PP and or PK. So it's kind of understandable. He's the Captain of the ship, so it didn't come off as arrogant really to me. It was a good interview. He discussed going to some top notch coaches, for advice already, so it appears he's not above seeking that out. He's not messing with the leadership of this group and his discussions with Ty were probably good for Ty. It probably will take some time to get fully up to speed, but I have no problem with him saying "I'm a winner. I've won everywhere I've been and I'm going to win here with you guys too. This is how it's done and this is how we're going to do it." I like him saying this was an opportunity he wasn't going to let pass him by. It seems clear he wants to be here and succeed. If the boys are onboard I think he stands a good chance of doing that.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Glad you are feeling better. I still see a 0-9 record, but applaud the hire. I do not see a miracle worker, but if he can get our young men competing every shift every game, that would be a huge step in the right direction.
Sometimes it is just better to keep your negativity to yourself. You are a real downer and don't really add anything positive anytime you post. Please do me a favor and don't ever quote me and comment about what I post ever again.

Reactions: Savard18

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I wouldn't read too much into him saying "my" systems etc., but heck I like it because obviously the systems that Flint had in place thus far obviously were not working. Hopefully, his systems/ideas of what he would like to do moving forward are well receptive by the players and organization.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Did you notice the one question asked in the press conference that he did not answer? I'm going to ask Eric about that when I see him.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Sometimes it is just better to keep your negativity to yourself. You are a real downer and don't really add anything positive anytime you post. Please do me a favor and don't ever quote me and comment about what I post ever again.
I have always called it as I have seen it. After three years now you are all now griping? Well, I do not tow the company line with you or you buddies. I think there is lot wrong with this franchise. Be as positive as you want at 0-9 with an suspended owner no one likes and a GM who has done a very poor job. Our kids are trying the best way hey can. Some decided not to show up until the second or third week. Some have been here since day ne. I liked the effort the last two games and the crowd of over 2,800 surprised me last Saturday Night with Michigan playing. I try to give both sides and will continue to do so without any pressure from other Firebird fans. Please stick with your chummy buddies and do not ever respond to me again! Please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad