Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
He didn't answer how long his contract is

That could be best for both sides. If the team does well, Wellwood will have leverage to negotiate a good contract where he chooses. The firebirds can offer an extension if they see fit. If the team does not show significant improvement with 85% of the season remaining, the firebirds won’t have any obligation to the wrong guy.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
The contract details?

Brendan Savage asks..."Did they sign you beyond this year or just right now?"

Eric Wellwood..."I'm not going to get into that just yet, were going to see how things play out."

As this season progresses, keep close attention as to whether the OHL makes an official statement pertaining to the Firebirds and a COMMITMENT for the 2019-2020 season.

Knowing Wellwood, I beleive that if a contract was done extending past this season he would have stated so.

Reactions: TcNorth

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Well probably can't commit to a contract beyond this year since Rolf will likely have control of the team again next year.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I like what Wellwood said. If they play better and more consistent, I suspect he will be in a really good position.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well probably can't commit to a contract beyond this year since Rolf will likely have control of the team again next year.
How often do Coaches or GM's come clean about their contracts anyway? Three things are gonna happen. The franchise is here and owned by Rolf. The franchise is here and owned by somebody else. The franchise has been relocated. All of which are scenarios where Wellwood could still be the coach. It's his first HC gig. Nobody was gonna roll out an 8 year contract for him. As far as scenario 3, I'd like to know where. People will post possibilities and pretty much every one of them will be shot down. Chatham is the favorite on the boards and at the rinks but just check the Sarnia thread to see that suggestion getting ripped apart.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Clearly at 0-9 you take whoever you feel can make a difference, but I'm curious; did the Windsor rivalry carry over to the Flint team or not really? When Wellwood was on Windsor not terribly too long ago the two teams and fanbases hated each other.

Also, haven't checked in on the Firebirds in awhile, I know the owner was on some sort of suspension by the league, is that still going on or has that passed?

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Clearly at 0-9 you take whoever you feel can make a difference, but I'm curious; did the Windsor rivalry carry over to the Flint team or not really? When Wellwood was on Windsor not terribly too long ago the two teams and fanbases hated each other.

Also, haven't checked in on the Firebirds in awhile, I know the owner was on some sort of suspension by the league, is that still going on or has that passed?
Nilsen's suspension is still on. Another 2 yrs and I think he can appeal this year if he wishes. Once his son no longer playing more than likely he will sell. My opinion.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I think Flint got a good man in Wellwood. I like the fact he's a young, first time coach and not another recycled guy that's been around the league, often without much success. There may be some growing pains but I think they'll pay dividends.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...I'm curious; did the Windsor rivalry carry over to the Flint team or not really? When Wellwood was on Windsor not terribly too long ago the two teams and fanbases hated each other...
Not so much. Since the franchise moved to Flint, let's face it, the two clubs haven't been on the same level. Windsor has been winning Memorial Cups, while Flint has racked up one total playoff victory. But I think the real reason is that Flint has always had a long-standing hockey rivalry with the city of Saginaw, dating back to the days of the Flint Generals.

MiscAmerica

Oct 3, 2018

I would say Saginaw is the only rival at the moment. Windsor and Sarnia would make nice rivals, but they haven’t been on the same level in terms of play since the Firebirds have been in the league.

As for Nilsen, I’m not sure if his suspension ends after this season, when his son is done or if he still has time left. I think the most hopeful thing for Flint would be if he really wants to rebuild his reputation in the sports world. In that case it’s pretty likely that the team would stay here. But, does he have reason to do that? I’m not really sure. I don’t know if anyone in the Flint area would be interested, maybe Hagerman at Diplomat Pharmacy? (Or maybe if there’s a local winner for tonights lottery? ) Otherwise it seems like they maybe be moved. But that’s out of anyone’s control atm.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Nilson was suspended for 5 years with the understanding that he could apply to the league for full reinstatement after 3 years which would be after this season.

Reactions: MiscAmerica

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
Nilson was suspended for 5 years with the understanding that he could apply to the league for full reinstatement after 3 years which would be after this season.
Does it matter? He'll be gone. They will sell the team.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Does it matter? He'll be gone. They will sell the team.
It only matters as a point of clarification for the poster I was responding to. As for him being gone and the team being sold you can't possibly know that at this time so none of that matters at all in this context.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it appears Saginaw goalie Ivan Prosvetov hasn't been playing in games in Canada because he's unable to cross the border to play also. So it appears Flint isn't the only team with visa issues but that might be bad news because Saginaw and Prosvetov had a bit of a head start on Flint and Kolyachonok.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it appears Saginaw goalie Ivan Prosvetov hasn't been playing in games in Canada because he's unable to cross the border to play also. So it appears Flint isn't the only team with visa issues but that might be bad news because Saginaw and Prosvetov had a bit of a head start on Flint and Kolyachonok.
Well Saginaw's problem appears to be with Canadian immigration While Flints is with US immigration so fingers crossed it won't be as bad for Flint. Koly's already setup for Canada.

Reactions: Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I would say Saginaw is the only rival at the moment. Windsor and Sarnia would make nice rivals, but they haven’t been on the same level in terms of play since the Firebirds have been in the league.

As for Nilsen, I’m not sure if his suspension ends after this season, when his son is done or if he still has time left. I think the most hopeful thing for Flint would be if he really wants to rebuild his reputation in the sports world. In that case it’s pretty likely that the team would stay here. But, does he have reason to do that? I’m not really sure. I don’t know if anyone in the Flint area would be interested, maybe Hagerman at Diplomat Pharmacy? (Or maybe if there’s a local winner for tonights lottery? ) Otherwise it seems like they maybe be moved. But that’s out of anyone’s control atm.
While Sarnia has had a superior roster pretty much every season since Plymouth moved to Flint, the Firebirds have given them a pretty rough time and picked up a lot of W's against them. They had a kid in 15-16 that fought Duchesne that would get things stirred up and last year there was one game where Hatcher truly lost it but it doesn't FEEL really heated at Sting-Firebird games. Maybe it will at some point, but I just think those days while not completely gone are just watered down a lot. I know Ouhlahen wasn't a fan of Hatcher-Legwand and really wanted to beat those guys though.

house hockey 98

Apr 8, 2018
Really like the Wellwood hire, bringing in a fresh approach. Also I wish they would just run with Joe Stefan as their GM. Joe does a great job with identifying talent and would do a better job than BB for sure

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015

The Plymouth/Windsor rivalry did not carry over. Besides Saginaw, no other rivalry has caught on. When Flint was in the IHL/UHL they had really good rivalries with Saginaw, Port Huron, Toledo, Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Utica, Fort Wayne, Quad Cities. I hope Sarnia and Windsor can eventually become rivals. The OHL crowds in Flint appear to be much younger, young families than Flint Generals games where they had long established rivals who everyone knew. I think some are still learning about the Canadian cities in the OHL. Also, as mentioned, we may have more rivals once we are more competitive.

Reactions: Tarantula

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Really like the Wellwood hire, bringing in a fresh approach. Also I wish they would just run with Joe Stefan as their GM. Joe does a great job with identifying talent and would do a better job than BB for sure
Many of us on here have promoted the idea of Stefan as GM, going all the way back to the summer of 2016. No need to pay Branch a salary, just give Stefan a raise and the title.

Reactions: cub and Toldyaso

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Looks like things are settling down a bit. Hope the guys give a great effort against a good Saginaw team tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->