Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
A confident coach might look at the talented young roster and surplus of picks in Flint as a great place to prove his coaching ability; as long as the contract offer is solid; and, coach & GM agree on future player types.

Reactions: Savard18

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I’m sure there are Assistant Coaches etc out there who want to move up to HC. So why not take the challenge of turning this team around. Imagine if that coach is that good and can accomplish that, wouldn’t that be a story and great for ones resume. Perhaps Oulahan just wasn’t that guy or that good!

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Has BB met with the players and asked for their feedback as to what their thoughts were? Perhaps they feel he is good as a goalie coach, but not as a HC. If the players aren't receptive to it, that could be a negative moving forward.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
I’m sure there are Assistant Coaches etc out there who want to move up to HC. So why not take the challenge of turning this team around. Imagine if that coach is that good and can accomplish that, wouldn’t that be a story and great for ones resume. Perhaps Oulahan just wasn’t that guy or that good!

I know the current Assoc and Asst are new but maybe BB should give them a shot. My understanding from another post earlier is that they were making the calls on the bench this past weekend anyway not Stefan.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I know the current Assoc and Asst are new but maybe BB should give them a shot. My understanding from another post earlier is that they were making the calls on the bench this past weekend anyway not Stefan.
From where I was sitting it looked like Darcy Findlay was doing most of the active coaching. He was interacting constantly with the players, drawing up plays on the boards at breaks and generally directing the players on the bench. Stefan was also involved but certainly not on the level Findlay was. Findlay was the hands on coach on the bench this past weekend.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Can't throw too much stuff at the kids in a matter of hours. On Saturday, they changed up their forecheck a bit so I'm guessing we'll see some system changes this weekend along with some possible shuffling and then settling down of line combinations. Kolyachonok would be a huge help and I imagine Busby is probably only a couple weeks away now.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Coaches show has been live this year already. I believe this is the 2nd or 3rd one. Both assistant coaches as well as Clarke and Vierling will at Timothy's Pub tonight.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
My kid has a game and I don't miss those. One of you kids needs to go get a first hand impression of things and report back here for the rest of us.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
OHL insiders says there's chatter that Missisauga Asst Coach/AGM Jeff Kyrzakos could be getting the job but that rumor is 3 days old and being a native Missy boy he would be leaving home to take it. So just hope it isn't Stefan.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
OHL insiders says there's chatter that Missisauga Asst Coach/AGM Jeff Kyrzakos could be getting the job but that rumor is 3 days old and being a native Missy boy he would be leaving home to take it. So just hope it isn't Stefan.

Unfortunately I feel like it is Stefan, or hopefully one of the the assistants. They are announcing this really quick. So I am doubting that the hire is from outside of the organization.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Unfortunately I feel like it is Stefan, or hopefully one of the the assistants. They are announcing this really quick. So I am doubting that the hire is from outside of the organization.
Nòoooooooo. I really dont think Stefan is the right choice. Hope BB and his father have made the right choice for the team.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Great choice if true. Was Associate Coach for Flint in 2016-17 seasons and won the Memorial Cup 2 times as a player on the Spitfirs. He has been coaching the Windsor Lancers who represent the University of Windsor. He also is innvolved with a Vancouver, BC company with his brother, also an ex-NHL’er, who have a new reliable way of testing on the sidelines for concussions.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
The same Eric Wellwood who was our assistant coach 2 years ago?

Edit: Missed TC's post, so it is the same guy.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, I guess it's just out then. Certainly not a blockbuster hire. I just hope they got a vote of support from the boys before hiring him. If they did, I'm ok with it. If not.....

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The same Eric Wellwood who was our assistant coach 2 years ago?

Edit: Missed TC's post, so it is the same guy.
The part he left out, which would be the key for me is that Wellwood was an assistant for Oshawa when they won their Memorial Cup in 2015.

Reactions: zman77

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
Recall the stated reason Wellwood didn’t return after 2016-17 was for interests outside of hockey. So assume that’s the business with his brother that Tc mentions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad