Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Change of scenery might be needed. Wong, 3 2nds and 3 3rds? Haha

Believe it or not, you may be onto to something. My contacts with Dallas tells me that if Dellandra is indeed traded his first choice would be Oshawa. Makes sense Firebird fans doesn't it, wouldn't you want to play close to home?

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Believe it or not, you may be onto to something. My contacts with Dallas tells me that if Dellandra is indeed traded his first choice would be Oshawa. Makes sense Firebird fans doesn't it, wouldn't you want to play close to home?

I would love that, but can't see it happening anytime soon anyways. You'd think there'd be no way Wellwood signs on to come coach if he's about to lose his best player

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Ty Dellandrea had a 9 game pointless streat mid season last year and still finished with 59 points last season as a 17 year old. He will be fine.

The team around him is a problem itself.

According to the OHL's website, Dave Branch's son has traded 2 2nds and 2 3rd round picks for Londons healthy scratches. Maybe Flint needs a GM who doesn't throw away premium picks. Need one who makes moves to actually improves the club overall.

Nothing incoming is going to help save Flints season and possibly next year. Not the coach, not the import from London. Problems lay deeper. I talked to a scout for an OHL team (Wont name him but if you Dm me your guess I won't lie if you get it right lol) and he said that right now he has a hard time seeing top prospects wanting to play for a team that's run by the league and managed by Branch's kid. Take that with a grain of salt because I guess we will see but I found that interesting.

I know this is all negative but i'm a little agitated about the situation. I know one of the Asst Coaches in Flint and it sucks that he's basically set up to take the fall when this doesn't turn around. I feel terrible for the fans who have just wanted a competent hockey team and ownership in Flint. You've deserved it. One of my favorite places to visit as a fan. And the posters here are really great to talk with.

Sorry Flint Fans, I hope it gets better. I hope I am proven wrong. You guys deserve better.

Last edited:

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Ty Dellandrea had a 9 game pointless streat mid season last year and still finished with 59 points last season as a 17 year old. He will be fine.

According to the OHL's website, Dave Branch's son has traded 2 2nds and 2 3rd round picks for Londons healthy scratches. Maybe Flint needs a GM who doesn't throw away premium picks and makes moves to actually improves the club overall.

Nothing incoming is going to help save Flints season and possibly next year. Not the coach, not the import from London. Problems lay deeper. I talked to a scout for an OHL team (Wont name him but if you Dm me your guess I won't lie if you get it right lol) and he said that right now he has a hard time seeing top prospects wanting to play for a team that's run by the league and managed by Branch's kid. Take that with a grain of salt because I guess we will see but I found that interesting.

I know this is all negative but i'm a little agitated about the situation. I know one of the Asst Coaches in Flint and it sucks that he's basically set up to take the fall when this doesn't turn around. I feel terrible for the fans who have just wanted a competent hockey team and ownership in Flint. You've deserved it. One of my favorite places to visit as a fan. And the posters here are really great to talk with.

Sorry Flint Fans, I hope it gets better. I hope I am proven wrong. You guys deserve better.

Well said Seb.

Bitten, Caamano, Moore and even Coach Gruden left Flint and all ended up with a championship. I'm certain that Dellandra likewise will thrive playing elsewhere.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018

According to the OHL's website, Dave Branch's son has traded 2 2nds and 2 3rd round picks for Londons healthy scratches. Maybe Flint needs a GM who doesn't throw away premium picks. Need one who makes moves to actually improves the club overall.

Well said. You would think it would be better having the Branch's running Nilsen's ship. I can just imagine the topics of conversation at both their houses...
How is an Asst Coach being set up to take the fall if it doesn't turn around? I am not understanding that comment.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Recap last night:
Very poor effort especially in the first. Vella got yanked after allowing 4 goals on like 15 shots or something and then was re-inserted for the 2nd and 3rd periods. Offense was non-existent. Breaking out of our zone was impossible. No control of the puck. Seemed like we couldn't pass. Saginaw knew exactly were to be every time we touched the puck. We were not moving our feet. Defense was terrible to start and didn't improve. Couldn't score on a 1:15 5 on 3 power play. Gave up another power play goal. Can't score on the power play.

Only positive thing was that Busby is out of the walking boot and both him and McCourt were in warm-ups and not dress clothes.

Barclay and Wellwood both in the stands behind were my family and I sat. I hope Wellwood knows what he is in for.

Good Luck today Firebirds.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Barrie won't be easier. Pekar is on a roll and Chiodo always lights them up. While Vella has been left to face a lot of quality chances, he hasn't been very good either. I wanted him pulled after the 2nd goal and think they should move towards Cavallin being starter sooner rather than later. Overall team play has been a mess but The veterans on this team have been a terrible. OA Vella, OA Nilsen (horrible turnover filled night last night), 19yo Gordeev generates no offense, refuses to send a breakout pass, generally plays soft, takes needless penalties all game long. 19yo CJ Clarke just does nothing. I've seen guys who struggled to perform in the playoffs, I've never seen a kid who rips up preseason and can't perform in the regular season. It would probably kill attendance and the franchise, but right now the best plan would be to move Dellandrea, Gordeev and CJ Clarke. Just restart. Agaiiiin. They'll have to really turn it around and play well above .500 once some D show up to even get a sniff of the playoffs. First viewing and they did not look like a team that was pumped to have a new coach preparing to take over.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Vella looks like he has the same issues Moran had a couple seasons ago, hes just getting torched blocker side.

I'd like to see them go to an every other game rotation like they did last year. Cavallin has shown signs of being very good at times, just lacks consistency.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Only London can re-load then scratch a 17 yr old import D and 18 yr old 3rd round D and 17 yr old D 1st round F and move them for picks so they can continue their dominance. It must really suck for a fan of mid-west teams to see; but, the giant is going to continue being fed ...Flint, Sudbury, Ottawa, Oshawa, Kingston, Hamilton ...want, need, & are willing to pay for London’s players.
But those three players for three years for 2(2nds & 3rds) hardly seems like a waste when the team is down 3-4 injured D, still has extra picks, and more conditional picks coming from Kaleb Pearson trade and whatever Power brings to the team later.
It will get better for Flint. Like Peterborough, Sudbury, Saginaw, Erie, and others before them; re-builds from rock bottom can take a while. The OHL has been in control for three drafts with Birch, Burnett, & Branch as directors for one each and Stephan as assistant GM - only two full hockey seasons.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
A note:

If you feel someone is breaking the site rules: report them. Do not flame people. Also note: posts that express opinions about teams and personnel is allowed - this is a discussion forum.

Thanks.

Reactions: SebJHockey

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
On the note of trades:

If you only knew how trades really worked in the OHL, you'd understand what the trade actually means. Read between the lines.........leave Barclay alone and let him do his job, he knows what's he doing.

On other "OHL" scouts:

Take what they say with a grain of salt....most are just trying to act like big wheels to impress people (only a actual handful of good ones out there.)

On the note of Joe Stefan:

Do you think he'd have a GM job if he wanted already. His name it self brings quality. The man loves scouting and finding talent. Stop barking up this tree.

On the note of Dellandrea:

If you only understood the pressure he was under with Ryan around....too much!! Let the kid get his feet wet under Wellwood and he will flourish.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
On the note of trades:

If you only knew how trades really worked in the OHL, you'd understand what the trade actually means. Read between the lines.........leave Barclay alone and let him do his job, he knows what's he doing.

On other "OHL" scouts:

Take what they say with a grain of salt....most are just trying to act like big wheels to impress people (only a actual handful of good ones out there.)

On the note of Joe Stefan:

Do you think he'd have a GM job if he wanted already. His name it self brings quality. The man loves scouting and finding talent. Stop barking up this tree.

On the note of Dellandrea:

If you only understood the pressure he was under with Ryan around....too much!! Let the kid get his feet wet under Wellwood and he will flourish.
Not sure about that. Getting Lucas Rowe for two 2nd’s and a 3rd leaves me to believe BB often times does not know what he is doing.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Don't EVER mess around with the "Hockey Gods", for they will always come from behind to BEAT you.....Tic, Tac, Toe.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Not sure about that. Getting Lucas Rowe for two 2nd’s and a 3rd leaves me to believe BB often times does not know what he is doing.

I don't think he's done well on any trades.

Connor Roberts at the time of the trade was already talked about being somewhat of a bust. He wasn't even Hamiltons best young player at the time of the trade. When you're trading 2 of your best 3 forwards who average what 70+ points a season, the prospect you get back needs to be the best prospect. Not just someone who "might need a change of scenery". Roberts had a decent finish to the season last year but still expect more from someone who was drafted 3rd overall.

I thought at 1st he did well on the Sherwood trade but

Sherwood was acquired from London for two 2nd round picks and a conditional 2nd.

Sherwood was traded to Kitchener for two 2nd round picks, a 3rd and a 5th.

The condition was if he plays a regular season or playoff game in his overage year, then the conditional pick is a 2nd round pick sent to London to complete the trade.

Kitchener wins that trade all day. Because Kole played a game for Kitchener, Flint is on the hook for a 2nd which makes me shake my head.

I mean yes he was an overager but you didn't even get back what you paid for him and he was coming off a 82 point season.

Ryan Bangs who was a 3rd round pick, cut in his first 2 training camps, and was a healthy scratch this year was acquired for a 3rd round pick. Now if Bangs was a year younger, I could justify this but how do you pay that high of a price for a guy who got out played by guys who where drafted much later after him? He might turn out okay and im not ragging on the kid, Im just suggesting that was a high price.

Then to pay what you paid for a kid who quit on his team, mouthed off to coaches, didn't produce squat is brutal.

To me, this is some of the worst asset management I have seen. I think Barclay Branch is a terrible General Manager.

The quality of this team is directly on him. Some poster said to leave him alone and let him do his job, well im thinking his job is to give his coaching staff a competent roster and he hasn't done that and overpaying for other teams healthy scratches isn't the way to go.

As I have mentioned, the good fans of Flint deserve better then what they have got. Nothing incoming is going to turn things around. The Import and a new coach will make a small impact but nothing significant.

I'm sure the boys are giving it their all and if by chance they check up on the forum I hope they know I don't blame them. They go about their business win or lose. This season right now is on Branch.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Another game recap:
Good first two periods. A few defensive breakdowns leading to tic-tac-toe goals from Barrie. No chance for Cavellin to stop either goal.
Lucky goal off a stick for the lead. Ty got credit. We scored a power play goal to start the night. Harris scored his first for the goal.
Durham got his second.

Held the lead for about a minute into the third. Then all the wheels came off. End score 6-3.

Ended up playing with 5 D again. Rowe was taken off the bench early in the first. I do not know what happened. It happened the same time that Cavellin lost a blade on his skate.

Good Game boys. Let's regroup for Friday in Sarnia.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Another game recap:
Good first two periods. A few defensive breakdowns leading to tic-tac-toe goals from Barrie. No chance for Cavellin to stop either goal.
Lucky goal off a stick for the lead. Ty got credit. We scored a power play goal to start the night. Harris scored his first for the goal.
Durham got his second.

Held the lead for about a minute into the third. Then all the wheels came off. End score 6-3.

Ended up playing with 5 D again. Rowe was taken off the bench early in the first. I do not know what happened. It happened the same time that Cavellin lost a blade on his skate.

Good Game boys. Let's regroup for Friday in Sarnia.
Rowe took a puck to the face while on the bench when a firebirds player tried to ice the puck. Saw him later between periods in street clothes holding an ice pack on his face. Guessing there was a nice shiner under that icepak. Probably monitoring him for concussion.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Rowe took a puck to the face while on the bench when a firebirds player tried to ice the puck. Saw him later between periods in street clothes holding an ice pack on his face. Guessing there was a nice shiner under that icepak. Probably monitoring him for concussion.

Yeah, why was the game not stopped before that? Cavallin lost a blade on his skate, he was sitting there yelling at the ref next to him. So then they tried to clear it, and it got Rowe square in the side of the face. Looked nasty, he was walking around the concourse after.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Yeah, why was the game not stopped before that? Cavallin lost a blade on his skate, he was sitting there yelling at the ref next to him. So then they tried to clear it, and it got Rowe square in the side of the face. Looked nasty, he was walking around the concourse after.
Umm I'm not an official so other than the obvious quality of OHL officiating I can't speak to why it took so long for them to blow the whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->