Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
He has a lot of player experience at the OHL and AHL levels and played around 30 or so in the NHL. Playing career ended due injury. He's played on winning teams in the OHL and has been on the coaching staff of a winning team as an assistant. They could do worse *cough*Stefan*cough*. This could be a really good opportunity for him. All he can do is look good here. There is no where to go down when you are already at the bottom.

Reactions: Packman

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
I remember reading that Wellwood left Flint for other opportunities outside of hockey. Him and his brother Kyle invested in HeadCheck (www.headcheckhealth.com) He was recently hired (April 2018) as Asst Coach for Men's hockey at University of Windsor.
Let's see what the announcement is tomorrow.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Bellof

Sep 18, 2015
Grand Blanc, MI
He has a lot of player experience at the OHL and AHL levels and played around 30 or so in the NHL. Playing career ended due injury. He's played on winning teams in the OHL and has been on the coaching staff of a winning team as an assistant. They could do worse *cough*Stefan*cough*. This could be a really good opportunity for him. All he can do is look good here. There is no where to go down when you are already at the bottom.
Agree, if Wellwood is indeed the guy. Real small sample size, but the time he was here was one flash of stability/relative competence for the hockey operations. Nowhere to go but up at this point, so why not?

Reactions: Savard18

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Hoping this is true and I believe fresh eyes and a change could be a positive thing for the players. Don't think Stepan is the right choice, and looks like others agree as well.

419HockeyGuy

Nov 23, 2017
Hopefully Wellwood can get the PP going. The Firebird's have a hard time entering the zone with possession, setting up and generating any quality chances. Thus 0 for 26 and 2 shorties surrendered. Too many times the puck is turned over resulting in a quality chance for the opposition (2 breakaways vs Rangers) or a Flint penalty. The return of Busby and McCourt or Koly's first game in a Flint uni can't come soon enough for the PP. Hopefully the new voice and approach will ignite the boys.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Agree, if Wellwood is indeed the guy. Real small sample size, but the time he was here was one flash of stability/relative competence for the hockey operations. Nowhere to go but up at this point, so why not?
Right. I was thinking that too. 2016-2017 was their best roster but it was also their one stable season. That was actually a really good team but it was the absolute worst time in the history of the OHL to load up, with 5 powerhouse CHL ranked teams in the Western Conference. They also had George Burnett in house, watching from the concourse on a nightly basis too. I'll be looking forward to this weekend and hopefully a Kolyachonok viewing. If this got the support of the boys in the locker room, I'm all for giving Wellwood a shot and seeing what he can do. Winning in the O sure seems to follow him around.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
So, Igor Larianov Jr has left the Windsor Spitfires to finish his junior career in the States. Looks like they won't be pulling off a Bobby Lynch-Larionov connection. So, I decided to go look at how Lynch has been producing in Muskegon. Meh. 1g 3a 4pts in 6 games. 63rd in league scoring. Not really that impressive for an OA playing in the USHL. Would still love him in a 'Birds jersey but no massive loss. What did catch my eye was the number of Euros playing in the USHL, including a few for Muskegon. Apparently they have no trouble getting them to report. Which also made me realize (I kinda already knew. Svechnikov last year) Branch didn't necessarily have to throw a dart at Europe to get an Import. They could have just scouted the USHL and talked to kids. Plymouth and Muskegon aren't that far away. Yes, some are older. Yes some are eyeing the NCAA, but there's quite a few possible Imports playing just hours away that couldn't have been a worse selection than the Jenik no show. Larionov leaving also frees up an OA spot for Windsor. If Flint was actually looking to add an OA, the competition just got tougher with another potential bidder in the market.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
That would be a home run
He's that high profile name that always gets thrown around every time a vacancy opens up. I'd be thrilled to see him behind the bench and unless he proved otherwise over time, I'd consider him a grand slam more than a home run even.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Another one Nilsen/Papista/Christensen did better than the OHL. Still, I think they let the Red Wings do their scouting for them on that one y'know?
But that's the thing...just like Saarijarvi, these Import picks should basically be signed, sealed, and ready to be delivered when the pick is made. There should be no "let's pick this guy, and then work on getting him to come over".

Reactions: MJ5

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
But that's the thing...just like Saarijarvi, these Import picks should basically be signed, sealed, and ready to be delivered when the pick is made. There should be no "let's pick this guy, and then work on getting him to come over".
Well it’s not like Jenik is lighting it up over there

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
If it does, one would have to believe that the problem with Koly is not an immigration problem, but a problem with his willingness to report to Flint.
I don't really think you can compare them to be honest. Canadian needing work visa to work in the sports industry in the US. Has had paperwork approved to work here several times in the past. Belarussian 17 yr old kid first time application to go to school and play Jr hockey in the US. I can see where one could go much quicker than the other.

Reactions: Packman

MiscAmerica

Oct 3, 2018
If it does, one would have to believe that the problem with Koly is not an immigration problem, but a problem with his willingness to report to Flint.
Not necessarily true, I would imagine getting a work visa as a Canadian going to the US would be a much simpler process than getting one from Belarus to US.

Reactions: Toldyaso
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad