Post-Game Talk: Flightless birds vs Eagles rematch @7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Nobody is asking our goalies to post a shutout every game. Just make a timely save now and then. Instead of getting scored on both breakaways save one.
Here is a question for you. What difference would have it made if Sammy stopped a breakaway? It would have made no difference.
Sammy wasn't bad the rest of the team didn't show up. Maybe you didn't realize that we didn't score tonight.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
There's always that guy or those two guys who will bitch all GDT long about you pointing out the obvious flaws of this team bringing as his argument some lucky stuff from the past and demanding everyone to think that's what gonna happen next. No, sorry, we're not delusional. If someone's bad we're gonna say it as it is. So sorry that you like stretching whole lot of bullshit for 5 pages straight about how a bad hockey player isn't actually bad because you'd like to believe so but there's people who actually prefer facts.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
There's always that guy or those two guys who will bitch all GDT long about you pointing out the obvious flaws of this team bringing as his argument some lucky stuff from the past and demanding everyone to think that's what gonna happen next. No, sorry, we're not delusional. If someone's bad we're gonna say it as it is. So sorry that you like stretching whole lot of bullshit for 5 pages straight about how a bad hockey player isn't actually bad because you'd like to believe so but there's people who actually prefer facts.
life's tough

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Why do you think Sammy should have stopped the 2nd goal. Rust made a pretty good move.
It was Orlov that got beat on the play. I think he should made more of an effort to make a defensive play on Rust. It doesn't matter if he has to take a penalty to prevent s goal.

Rust had two breakaway goals and I think Sammy should have stopped one of them. It's the old comment about needing a big save from time to time.
But as I also mentioned, I don't think he played badly tonight.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
They are in win now mode. They will have a better chance to win after Samsonov gets more experience. Season after next probably. There was no goalie available that was more of a cup winning goalie than what the Caps have already

By the time we were into this season, I completely agree with you there were no meaningful goalie upgrades available. But if you’re right that it’ll take until Sammy’s fourth NHL season for him to have a better shot at winning, it was incredibly poor planning on GMBM’s part to end up in a position where Sammy was our guy for this year. Yes, they expected to have Lundy too, but at his age and based on his last few years in New York he was a wildcard option at best. The choices they made in net appear to have been cost-driven, more than anything, because of how expensive our top-6 and D corp have become.

Given Holtby had been on a downward trajectory for some time, and GMBM seemed to know they were moving on from Holtby when his contract ran out, they should have moved Holts before last season and brought in someone who could be our new starter, but who Sammy could naturally beat out over the coming years. It’s what NYI did with Varlamov, who is playing some of the best hockey of his career while Sorokin develops into an eventual starter. A guy like Lehner was available twice – after NYI passed on resigning him, and then again when Chicago put him on the market. There were guys available, and we passed on them in favour of keeping a broken Holtby, and then relying on an unproven rookie to become Vezina-quality within a couple of years of entering the league.

Now that’s not to undermine the achievements of our goaltenders – Vanecek in particular is essentially the only reason we’re headed to the offseason at all. They both have NHL futures, I believe, and might even be a formidable tandem for the caps a year or two from now. But we’re spending too much on team defense – $25 million, currently – to be relying on rookie goaltenders given the number of 3+ goal games we’ve had this season. Our offense is getting flustered quite a bit lately – our last two shutouts involved us scoring 1 goal in two games, and could easily have been terrible losses had Vanny and Sammy not stepped up. But for the most part we’ve won more than we’ve lost by scoring so heavily, especially at 5v5, and when the opponent game plans away your scoring chances in the playoffs you need to be able to match them. Sammy has had a GAA of under 3 just 8 times this season, while Vanecek has achieved that in just 13 of 32 games.

Either we need goaltenders who can consistently perform at .925% or above game-in game-out, or team D that can actually step up and consistently keep the GA at 2 or below. One way or another, GMBM took a huge gamble in his roster construction and I’m not convinced it’s paying off, sadly.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
By the time we were into this season, I completely agree with you there were no meaningful goalie upgrades available. But if you’re right that it’ll take until Sammy’s fourth NHL season for him to have a better shot at winning, it was incredibly poor planning on GMBM’s part to end up in a position where Sammy was our guy for this year. Yes, they expected to have Lundy too, but at his age and based on his last few years in New York he was a wildcard option at best. The choices they made in net appear to have been cost-driven, more than anything, because of how expensive our top-6 and D corp have become.

Given Holtby had been on a downward trajectory for some time, and GMBM seemed to know they were moving on from Holtby when his contract ran out, they should have moved Holts before last season and brought in someone who could be our new starter, but who Sammy could naturally beat out over the coming years. It’s what NYI did with Varlamov, who is playing some of the best hockey of his career while Sorokin develops into an eventual starter. A guy like Lehner was available twice – after NYI passed on resigning him, and then again when Chicago put him on the market. There were guys available, and we passed on them in favour of keeping a broken Holtby, and then relying on an unproven rookie to become Vezina-quality within a couple of years of entering the league.

Now that’s not to undermine the achievements of our goaltenders – Vanecek in particular is essentially the only reason we’re headed to the offseason at all. They both have NHL futures, I believe, and might even be a formidable tandem for the caps a year or two from now. But we’re spending too much on team defense – $25 million, currently – to be relying on rookie goaltenders given the number of 3+ goal games we’ve had this season. Our offense is getting flustered quite a bit lately – our last two shutouts involved us scoring 1 goal in two games, and could easily have been terrible losses had Vanny and Sammy not stepped up. But for the most part we’ve won more than we’ve lost by scoring so heavily, especially at 5v5, and when the opponent game plans away your scoring chances in the playoffs you need to be able to match them. Sammy has had a GAA of under 3 just 8 times this season, while Vanecek has achieved that in just 13 of 32 games.

Either we need goaltenders who can consistently perform at .925% or above game-in game-out, or team D that can actually step up and consistently keep the GA at 2 or below. One way or another, GMBM took a huge gamble in his roster construction and I’m not convinced it’s paying off, sadly.

Excellent post - totally agree with this!!

(that is also my way of saying I'm in no shape to articulate this as well as you have :) )

Reactions: HecticGlow

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Rust had two breakaway goals and I think Sammy should have stopped one of them. It's the old comment about needing a big save from time to time.
But as I also mentioned, I don't think he played badly tonight.
I disagree. And if he did stop one what would have that changed.
Yes our goalies do need to make big save once in awhile but to say he should have stopped it is ridiculous.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
My eyes are hurting to read this. People really calling Sammy out for not saving breakaways in a 0-3 loss.
I'm scratching my head on this one too. He didn't give up any soft goals and we provided zero offense but let's blame our goalie.
When we lose games 5-4 maybe you can blame your goalie.

Sep 19, 2008
Doesn't look like we will play Pens in the first round barring a collapse. I would hope not

Caps could finish 1st or 2nd which means they won't play Pittsburgh but either NYI or Boston.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Joe and Locker doing an un boxing this is bad
Is this something they normally do? I’m a pens fan but I’ve been watching opponent broadcasts lately. I started dying when they pulled out the box of lobster meat after talking about it the other night lol.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
I was at a birthday party and didn't see much of the game but this team isnt going far in the playoffs with our goalie situation. Sure anything can happen but we need one of these guys to play out of their minds to go far...which I don't see happening.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I'm scratching my head on this one too. He didn't give up any soft goals and we provided zero offense but let's blame our goalie.
It’s not about one game. It’s about the whole season and the fact our goalies suck.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

a goalie with a consistent .925 is expensive. period.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

IIRC they were blaming Vanecek for the first 3 goals on Thursday when they were all alone 10 ft out. At the same time they wouldnt blame Sammy for a 70ft unscreened and undeflected slap shot v the Islanders. In both goalies case sometimes to win a game you need your goalie to make a save. It would have been great of Hathaway hadnt fallen on his face but less than 2 mins into that game, his team needed him to make a save. If a goalie can see it, he has a better chance to stop it than the shooter has to score it. I dont blame him for giving it up, but they lost the game on that play.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
By the time Sammy is ready to be “the guy” the core won’t be able to compete for a championship. This was a gamble by BMac and it may or may not work out. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad