Post-Game Talk: Flightless birds vs Eagles rematch @7 PM

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by Alexander the Gr8, May 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    Drop 10 places in rank on the pk and your improved goaltending is wasted. The Caps 4th line usually skates 3rd line minutes. They are not 3 plugs getting 10 mins a game.

Hey, the Caps could have skipped Schultz and gone with TVR and skipped Chara.

2. g00n Retired Global Mod

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    They were not going to score 4 goals against Jarry last night so we can stop blaming the offense, too.

It was not an impossible ask to think an NHL goaltender can come up with saves on 1-3 of those shots. Jarry made harder saves in the same friggin game, ffs.

I'm not saying this as a hater. I've been in the corner of both these keepers the entire time, and advocated open competition among them to help them develop. That's what I want to see: progress.

With Sammy I see some bad habits that are concerning, and not enough of a compete level that creates that "spark" to put you into the same kind of zone Jarry was in, when needed. That's how you go from pro to clutch. When the guy on the other end is showing that level of play on a given night a veteran athlete will realize he has to elevate his own game or else.

IMO Sammy played better in the 3rd but it's a moot point by then.

3. traparatus Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Goaltending is what it is. Pray either guy can get in the groove and carry the load. In the meantime, maybe don't give up breakaways.

Or, here is a radical thought, score some goals. Underappreciated in all this goalie blaming is the fact that in the 3rd period of a game in which Caps trailed 3-0, they got completely shut down. There wasn't even a hint of possible come back. It's going to be really difficult to win a playoff game if you don't score any goals.

4. maacoshark Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    A couple of those shots were from the wing on one on one's. He didn't play big on either of those. The shot from Kapanen coming down the right side I think could have easily been stopped if he didn't go down into the butterfly. There absolutely no reason to go down there. Vanecek actually gave the shooter more to shoot at.
    Like I said when you lose a game 3-0 it's hard to blame your goaltender. Lose the game 5-4 is alot different.

SherVaughn30 likes this.
  5. maacoshark Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    WOW. So even if Sammy stops one or even two of those goals we still lose.
    Did you expect him to win another 1-0 shootout.
    Your post is very unrealistic.

6. maacoshark Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Lol ok Sammy gives up 3 goals 2 on breakaways and the other was a fluke. Vanecek gave up 5 goals against the same team. Atleast one of those goals maybe even two were because of bad positioning.
    And you have more faith in Vanecek. I think that is a personal bias opinion.
    I don't like or dislike either goalie but I can clearly see that Sammy has alot more potential. Neither of them are there yet.

7. TheLegendOfPatPeake Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    That is my biggest issue. Neither is ready and a franchise that has precious time left as a true contender is resting their playoff hopes on two incredibly unproven and inconsistent goalies. It infuriates me. I keep explaining this hoping it will be therapeutic but it hasn’t worked yet.

fniss and SherVaughn30 like this.
  8. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    What is your definition of the wing? The first goal against was shot from the lower inner hashmark. Thats the slot. The second goal was shot from between the lw lower hashmark and the left goalpost. The slot. The 3rd goal was shot from the top of the crease about the left wing goal post. The 4th was off the wing. Which of those first 3 goals are you talking about?

9. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Both goalies need better goalie coaching. I'm not even close to convinced Scott Murray is an adequate NHL goalie coach. To me Scott Murray is another Todd Reirden in over his head with the position he was given. Case in point, Alex Westlund is the Hershey Bears goalie coach. Phoenix Copley looked to be a bust and couldn't hold being an NHL backup. Zachary Fucale was a 2nd round pick bust for the Habs. Well guess what...the Hershey Bears have some of the best goaltending in the AHL this season! Fucale is one of the best goalies in the AHL right now and Copley has played better again with the help of Westlund. You can put an argument that maybe the Bears have better players, better coaching and a better system now than the previous season, but both goalies seem to be having a big improvement from where they were last season.

If anyone looked at VV/Sammy with Hershey, they are showing some of the same inconsistencies at both the AHL and NHL levels. VV is a more consistent goalie, but everything he does is nothing special(it shows he's a long term NHL backup to me). Sammy is very athletic. He reminds too much like Sergei Bobrovsky. He makes the WOW save, but then you scratch your head because he lets in some simple shots.

My biggest issue with Scott Murray, is he doesn't seem to be a goalie coach that can help strengthen VV/Sammy weaknesses. I just don't see either goalie improving on their mental game. I have seen a bunch of young goalies on worse teams than the Caps, come up and play well and continue to play well. Either the coaching is not sufficient or the goalies are being over-hyped. If goalies like Copley/Fucale can have big improvements, then so can VV/Sammy. It leads me to coaching. Caps get a better goalie coach, then I bet ya(figuratively) you will be see bigger improvement from VV/Sammy.

10. kicksavedave Not be suck again this year?

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:

I prefer Vince Lombardi's quote: Luck is the residue of hard work.

SherVaughn30 likes this.
  11. twabby Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If you make your own luck, then it isn’t luck!

12. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Down the wing is anything from the face-off dot(if you were to draw a long straight line through it from end to end of the ice rink) to the boards. Vitek's playing of his angles has been an issue and has been in his scouting report that goes back to when he was drafted. His flaws are still poor angles on long and short ranged shots and misuse of going into the butterfly formation due to his misreads of the play and the fact that he's considered a smaller goalie at 6'1".

13. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Your misusing the phrase. When you make your own luck, it means you are putting yourself in a better position to succeed in the that situation. Just for example - If you have a puck bounce off your d-man and past the goalie, was it just bad luck or bad positioning by the d-man that created that bad luck? It could have been luck for the other team that they scored a goal on the play or maybe the forward forced the d-man into a bad position that created that luck. Hence, it can be deemed creating your own luck.

14. maacoshark Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I was talking about Kapanen 2nd goal. The dman forced him outside. All he could was shoot. And Vanecek went down early and opened up the top of the net. There was no need to go down there.

SherVaughn30 likes this.
  15. hb11xchamps Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Westlund has been the Bears goalie coach since 2017-18. He has worked with VV and Samsonov. Using him as an example to bash Murray seems odd.

Sure the Bears goaltending has been solid. That’s mainly due to them fielding a very good team, a very stacked defense for the AHL level, and playing 2 of the worst teams in their division for the majority of the year (Wilkesbarre and Binghamton)

16. maacoshark Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I agree. 6 foot 1 is considered small in today's game but with his positioning in the butterfly he looks smaller. He plays like he is 5 foot 10.
    Samsonov has had his issues with technique too but he plays bigger. He covers more of the net when he is in the butterfly. His biggest issue is that he moves around too much sometimes over pursuing the play and losing his net when he moves laterally.

17. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    These shots were inside the circles. Thats not the wing. Its the slot

18. maacoshark Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You know I actually understand what you are saying and agree. Getting lots of traffic in front of the net is the best way to create your own luck. Strange things can happen when there a ton of guys in front.

19. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    I specified the first 3 goals and then specified that the 4th was soft.

20. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Exactly! Vitek misread the developing play. NHL shooters are smarter with shot placement, than at the AHL level. I want to know is Scott Murray pointing this out/teaching this to Vitek or not? Kapanen shoots right-handed. Vitek should know don't give the right-handed shooter the short-side(Vitek's left post). Kapanen also had a slight instance corralling the puck before releasing his shot. That slight instance should have been an indicator to Vitek to challenge more on his angle and staying upright. The mental aspects of goaltending are more important than the physical aspects. This is one example where you have to be sharp mentally as a goalie.

21. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    Getting lots of traffic is a double edged sword. Yes a puck can hit you in the ass and go in the net. More often though, the puck hits your own guy or the defenseman with him and is a blocked shot. Block a lot of shots and you are going to deflect one in your own net or screen out your own goalie. When you cant score legit, you go to traffic and hope for a good bounce.

Not that Ovechkin nearly NEVER shoots thru traffic. The Caps dont want players in front of the net that would have gone in had it not hit those guys in front.

22. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Just about the other 3 can be more stoppable if Vitek plays them with better angling. His playing of the angles in the game were not good enough.

23. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The same issue that still troubles Bobrovsky! If Sammy can learn to control his lateral movements better(sort of like shifting gears with a stick-shift car), then he will become a much better goalie.

24. g00n Retired Global Mod

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    To the contrary, my post is based entirely on reality. I never said anything about winning the game. Read closely. You're arguing with yourself.

25. SherVaughn30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    OV has one of the most unique curves on his stick blade. It's basically a legal banana curve. It's very challenging for goalies to read the release of the puck off his stick blade. It's also challenging as a teammate to try to tip/redirect an OV shot. Teammate or opponent, you just don't exactly know where the shot is going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.