Post-Game Talk: Flightless birds vs Eagles rematch @7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I love BMac but he may have really screwed the pooch here. And I will be happy to be wrong.

If you are starting over with a young goalie, you go thru this stage. No avoiding it. A veteran back up or a 1B that wasnt good enough for a starting gig elsewhere very likely wouldnt be better.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Mantha better wake up soon or else this trade is going to look bad. He’s doing exactly what Wings fans said which is disappearing for large portions of the game. Plus he has been a bit of a defensive liability at times. I’m not seeing how he is so much better than Vrana.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
If you are starting over with a young goalie, you go thru this stage. No avoiding it. A veteran back up or a 1B that wasnt good enough for a starting gig elsewhere very likely wouldnt be better.
But that’s what is confusing. GMBM said in his press conference after the Vrana trade that they are in win now mode and they were willing to trade the picks and Vrana in order to win now. Yet goaltending is the most important position in playoff hockey and he goes with two young and unproven players. I understand that Lundqvist was a freak thing but I would have preferred they trade for a goalie. Our problem is not scoring.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This should probably be a wake-up call kind of result, despite the absences, but I don't know how they fix the back-end and goaltending in the short-term. Nor is it likely 19/77 suddenly have more assertive pace or 92 dominates. 8/74 back helps but it's not as if they're without fundamental flaws. Their push has more substance with them but this is just an aging sort of low IQ team that largely operates on hustle and feel. When they're not able to match hustle and pace they don't have anything much to fall back on beyond finishing ability. The Pens were lucky but they mostly earned their bounces and it's hard to conveniently blame goaltending when so much else is off.

The best hope is for Boston to match up with the Pens in the first round and take them out. I don't know if the Caps can withstand an effective forecheck and that level of cohesion. Maybe at full strength but even then there's plenty of vulnerability apparent. Goaltending does need to be better. Saving something they shouldn't could help. But there's a pretty obvious underbelly regardless.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But that’s what is confusing. GMBM said in his press conference after the Vrana trade that they are in win now mode and they were willing to trade the picks and Vrana in order to win now. Yet goaltending is the most important position in playoff hockey and he goes with two young and unproven players. I understand that Lundqvist was a freak thing but I would have preferred they trade for a goalie. Our problem is not scoring.

They are in win now mode. They will have a better chance to win after Samsonov gets more experience. Season after next probably. There was no goalie available that was more of a cup winning goalie than what the Caps have already

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This should probably be a wake-up call kind of result, despite the absences, but I don't know how they fix the back-end and goaltending in the short-term. Nor is it likely 19/77 suddenly have more assertive pace or 92 dominates. 8/74 back helps but it's not as if they're without fundamental flaws. Their push has more substance with them but this is just an aging sort of low IQ team that largely operates on hustle and feel. When they're not able to match hustle and pace they don't have anything much to fall back on beyond finishing ability. The Pens were lucky but they mostly earned their bounces and it's hard to conveniently blame goaltending when so much else is off.

The best hope is for Boston to match up with the Pens in the first round and take them out. I don't know if the Caps can withstand an effective forecheck and that level of cohesion. Maybe at full strength but even then there's plenty of vulnerability apparent. Goaltending does need to be better. Saving something they shouldn't could help. But there's a pretty obvious underbelly regardless.

I would agree with this were I any kind of convinced that was anything close to the best the Caps have to offer. That was a stinker from the word go

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Per usual pens just bury us on turnovers and mistakes. They always do this. Hathaway face planting and Orlov blocked shot the other way...coming off Backstrom and Schultz turnovers last game. They can just strike quickly.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Team didn't play well tonight, but the Pens got a couple of breaks. Hathaway falls down and Rust gets a breakaway. I think Sammy should have stopped the second goal. Third goal was a complete fluke going in off Carter's skate.

Lavi's lines tonight were no good. Hope he doesn't try those again.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I hope the random number generators are nicer to the Capitals in the postseason.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
No.

He was their best forward tonight.

Ya I thought he looked solid tonight. He had a few rough games before this one but overall he’s a huge improvement to Vrana. I’m excited to see him in the playoffs.

Reactions: Calicaps

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Mantha better wake up soon or else this trade is going to look bad. He’s doing exactly what Wings fans said which is disappearing for large portions of the game. Plus he has been a bit of a defensive liability at times. I’m not seeing how he is so much better than Vrana.

Martin Er... eh I'm not going to say it :(

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Blueballs survived Dillion by charging at him and then diving. Not a bad strategy. Old school he would have gotten popped laying down on the ice like that. But he only dropped 1 glove and was looking for a quick exit from the start.

He'll learn not to challenge big mean D late in games up 3-0.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hmmmm. Mantha was probably our best forward tonight. He had the best scoring chances for us.

Reactions: Calicaps

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Team didn't play well tonight, but the Pens got a couple of breaks. Hathaway falls down and Rust gets a breakaway. I think Sammy should have stopped the second goal. Third goal was a complete fluke going in off Carter's skate.

Why do you think Sammy should have stopped the 2nd goal. Rust made a pretty good move.
It was Orlov that got beat on the play. I think he should made more of an effort to make a defensive play on Rust. It doesn't matter if he has to take a penalty to prevent s goal.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

Well, the two lines that he switched up were analytically by far the teams best two lines. Eller/Raffl/Oshie were all at 74% or higher in xG%, 80% or higher in scoring chance %, and 75% in HDCF%.

I thought the team looked off offensively, but those two lines seemed to work well together. And they still gave Pittsburgh nothing offensively other than the two fluke breakaways. Their passing was just pretty terrible and Jarry made some really big saves in the 2nd.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Our problem tonight was scoring.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He's not an elite player. He has elite abilities and is capable of delivering world class performances from time to time, but he's not an elite player.

We won't be able to build a team around him, he should be moved when Backstrom and Ovi retire or even earlier than that if possible.
I couldn't agree more with this post.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yeah the first Rust goal is fine, quick release snap shot right over the pad from 15 ft away. The second one though, Rust took Sammy's jock strap cleanly, he got him flopping on the ice like a fish.
I'd like to see you play in net and face a breakaway from one of these guys.
He made a good move and Sammy got beat. So what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad