Post-Game Talk: Flightless birds vs Eagles rematch @7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
To the contrary, my post is based entirely on reality. I never said anything about winning the game. Read closely. You're arguing with yourself.
So your point is that Sammy should stopped the breakaway and winning the game is irrelevant. Isn't the point of the game to win?
Your argument is ridiculous.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The same issue that still troubles Bobrovsky! If Sammy can learn to control his lateral movements better(sort of like shifting gears with a stick-shift car), then he will become a much better goalie.
You seem to be the only member here that understands the goaltender position.
Everyone else seems to blame the goalie for letting in a goal and all they can say is he should have stopped that but they don't know why.
They blame a goalie for giving up a goal on a breakaway. Breakaways are tough. Alot of it is about anticipation. A good player can catch any goalie moving the wrong way.
And then on the other side they defend a goalie that went down too early and gave up the entire top half of the net by saying it was a great shot.
I can tell you have played the position.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Everyone else seems to blame the goalie for letting in a goal and all they can say is he should have stopped that but they don't know why.
They blame a goalie for giving up a goal on a breakaway. Breakaways are tough. Alot of it is about anticipation. A good player can catch any goalie moving the wrong way.
And then on the other side they defend a goalie that went down too early and gave up the entire top half of the net by saying it was a great shot.

Thanks, I appreciate you saying that. Close to 30 years. The last 2 I haven't due to injuries, recovery and COVID shutting down ice rinks. I'm a beer leaguer and average skater, but make up the lack of skating ability with a strong mental game. Anything I have said on this board is drawn from my experience playing the position and studying/watching technique of all goalies(all levels and even the old school goalies since the NHL started). Some will argue that I'm acting like a knowitall, that's fine as every person is entitled to their own opinion. My answer to any naysayers is that no matter the level of goaltending, there is a common backbone/basics to how to play the position. Those basics do not change much throughout the different levels of play. The difference between what I play and pro, pro goalies are top conditioned athletes, who have coaches, trainers and medical staff all the way and they do it for a career. I only do it for the love of the sport, recreation, but with a very competitive nature and wanting to continue learning the position.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Westlund has been the Bears goalie coach since 2017-18. He has worked with VV and Samsonov. Using him as an example to bash Murray seems odd.

Sure the Bears goaltending has been solid. That’s mainly due to them fielding a very good team, a very stacked defense for the AHL level, and playing 2 of the worst teams in their division for the majority of the year (Wilkesbarre and Binghamton)

Actually it isn't odd. Murray is not as good as people may think. Mitch Korn is the mastermind behind Holtby's '18 playoff resurgence in winning the Cup and not Murray. In fact, Murray/Holtby were not really connecting well. Grubauer was playing well and holding the Caps goaltending together despite Holtby's struggles. Grubauer deserved to be the playoff starter, but he showed to be mentally shocked in his first two games. I think it was about a quarter of the season left(or less) and into the playoffs, Mitch Korn who had stepped back in a Consultant role stepped into forefront to get Holtby back in line. Once Korn was gone, Holtby never seemed to mesh well with Scott Murray. I think the problem was Scott Murray had his own vision of how to coach goalies with the modern butterfly technique, but ignored what he had been taught by Mitch Korn(he's still one the best in the business). Holtby plays a more traditional style(probably is labelled as a Hybrid(adoption of all techniques) and didn't adopt so much the modern butterfly technique(VH/RVH). From the time TR became coach and SM full-time Caps goalie coach, I haven't been impressed at all with what he has taught. Look at Grubauer, he's become a better goalie after leaving the Caps. To me it's a combination of gained experience and better goalie coaching.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So your point is that Sammy should stopped the breakaway and winning the game is irrelevant. Isn't the point of the game to win?

I wasn't aware that all comments had to be about winning the game.

I made my points in my own words. Not yours.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Actually I've been banging the drum about anticipation, positioning, swimming in the crease, and going down too early.

Post-Game Talk: - Caps @ NYI @ 7

Post-Game Talk: - Caps/Devs Easter Adidtion GDT

All Purpose Analytics and Extended Stats Discussion

Post-Game Talk: - Flightless birds vs Eagles rematch @7 PM

Post-Game Talk: - Flightless birds vs Eagles rematch @7 PM

Post-Game Talk: - Caps Rangers 12pm

Those things can be true AND we can talk about whether or not a player can/should elevate his game to meet the occasion. In this case Jarry was in the zone and a loss was probably inevitable except for some luck or a break in his confidence. A few good saves on your own end can spark that, as can a fluke goal or break in your favor. It's not all Sammy's fault but you hope a player can improve, especially as the games become more important.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Samsonov sucks - mark my f*cking words....history will show this

VV might not have the "upside and potential" that Sammy has, but he has the maturity and I think he has the mental fortitude that Sammy doesn't. And that's what we need in the playoffs.

Edit: I think it was stupid to go into this season, as a Cup contender, with rookie goaltending. So my above comment is based on the goaltending we have available. I think VV can take us further in the playoffs than Samsonov. Let's see how it plays out....

Reactions: EroCaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

VV might not have the "upside and potential" that Sammy has, but he has the maturity and I think he has the mental fortitude that Sammy doesn't. And that's what we need in the playoffs.

Edit: I think it was stupid to go into this season, as a Cup contender, with rookie goaltending. So my above comment is based on the goaltending we have available. I think VV can take us further in the playoffs than Samsonov. Let's see how it plays out....

I remarked a while back I thought VV should be 1A. They've both been inconsistent which is what you expect from young goalies. I guess we'll see. This all has a very Varly vs Neuvy feel to it.

So we're just waiting for the next Holtby to come in and say "yeah about that".

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Just making a mental note after some observations.….

Apparently….unless you drone on and on about understanding goaltending…..you don’t understand the position.

noted!

Reactions: Calicaps and txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Where was all this kiddie goalie angst pre season?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Seems very likely that the avenue to winning that game was a save on Rust less then 2 mins into the game. After giving that one up, you can make a case that to give his team a chance to win considering their condition was to stop the 2nd goal. At 2-0 they were cooked. The team was flat and the goalie was unable to rise to the need and keep them in the game.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->