Post-Game Talk: Flames win first BoA 4-3! Czechmate, Oilers.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't necessarily think the Flames should make a trade right now either. Guys bodies are still adjusting and its likely someone will be out with an injury over the next 2 weeks. I want Sven up because he looks like a threat out there, but maybe he should be sent down to be the guy on the Heat until we do have an injury.

I don't think this team needs another dman, hell we sat out Butler last night and there's still Babchuk when he's ready. I'd rather make a trade for a 2nd rounder when the time right. Stempniak would be my pick, he's extremely streaky and he's hot right now. As soon as he cools off I'd move him for a 2nd and then give his spot to Sven.

Can anyone tell me who that was wearing #4 for our team last night?

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I don't necessarily think the Flames should make a trade right now either. Guys bodies are still adjusting and its likely someone will be out with an injury over the next 2 weeks. I want Sven up because he looks like a threat out there, but maybe he should be sent down to be the guy on the Heat until we do have an injury.

I don't think this team needs another dman, hell we sat out Butler last night and there's still Babchuk when he's ready. I'd rather make a trade for a 2nd rounder when the time right. Stempniak would be my pick, he's extremely streaky and he's hot right now. As soon as he cools off I'd move him for a 2nd and then give his spot to Sven.

I dont particularly like babchuk id rather have guys like smith butler sarich playing instead

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
A couple quick hits from the game.
- Our fourth line looked great, they were an energy line with a ton of skill/ability. Saying that, I don't want to see Sven on the Energy line.

- Faceoffs were great again, and I think the team is turning this trend around.

- The D looked amazing last night, except it looks like Sarich is playing in slow motion a lot of the time, would rather see Butler playing over Cory. If Bouw can keep this up, and this is what I hoped for when Hartley came in; he'll prove to be one of the top Dmen in the league.

- Stajan is clearly the least skilled forward between Cervenka and Hudler, I'd rather see Cervenka/Hudler split faceoffs (both are actual C's) and move Sven on the wing. Watching Stajan out there last night, was like watching the Washington Generals play with the Globetrotters, he seemed a few steps behind and his skill doesn't even come close to comparing with the Czechs.

- Also, last night it was clear we are missing some Grit from the lineup, it got chippy a few places in this game, something that a certain type of player can settle down by delivering some devastating hits, taking an opposing player out of the game... It was pretty evident that we were missing some sandpaper yesterday. But hell, if we keep winning, I could care less.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I dont particularly like babchuk id rather have guys like smith butler sarich playing instead

I don't either, just pointing out that we have a logjam on D as well. I want Babs off this team, I don't want the Anton taking minutes away from guy Smith and Brodie. Adding another dman would only complicate the situation further.

Bouwmeester was amazing last night, but he looked really good the game before to. If that trend continues our top 4 of Jbo, Wideman, Gio and Brodie, is actually a very good one and I'm fine with having Butler, Smith and Sarich battle it out for our bottom pairing guys.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
A couple quick hits from the game.
- Our fourth line looked great, they were an energy line with a ton of skill/ability. Saying that, I don't want to see Sven on the Energy line.

- Faceoffs were great again, and I think the team is turning this trend around.

- The D looked amazing last night, except it looks like Sarich is playing in slow motion a lot of the time, would rather see Butler playing over Cory. If Bouw can keep this up, and this is what I hoped for when Hartley came in; he'll prove to be one of the top Dmen in the league.

- Stajan is clearly the least skilled forward between Cervenka and Hudler, I'd rather see Cervenka/Hudler split faceoffs (both are actual C's) and move Sven on the wing. Watching Stajan out there last night, was like watching the Washington Generals play with the Globetrotters, he seemed a few steps behind and his skill doesn't even come close to comparing with the Czechs.

- Also, last night it was clear we are missing some Grit from the lineup, it got chippy a few places in this game, something that a certain type of player can settle down by delivering some devastating hits, taking an opposing player out of the game... It was pretty evident that we were missing some sandpaper yesterday. But hell, if we keep winning, I could care less.

Yea especially compared to Hudler Stajan's stick handling looked real bad.
Maybe try
Glencross - Tanguay - Iginla
Cervenka - Backlund - Hudler
Cammy - Stajan - Stempniak

but Stajan did play well defensively which allowed Hudler and Cerveka to play more offensive.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Cammy, Backlund, and Stempniak showed a lot of great chemistry last night. They cycled the puck fairly well and generated offence off the rush. I would keep them together.

As Cervenka and Hudler did pretty well in the faceoff circle (albeit small samples), I would either put Baertschi up with those two or put more of a grinder on their line like Jones. Jones looked good last night - had some offensive chances, was strong on the boards, and was sound defensively.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
If the Flames keep this pace up, i'll be very happy.

We need to drop two players. The Anton and who else though.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
“The two best teams to beat, I think without question, are Vancouver and Edmonton. There’s no question about that. The wins feel a little bit better than a normal win and the losses feel a little bit worse,†said Flames captain Jarome Iginla, who grew up in Oil Country.

Couldn't agree more.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Good game by the Flames, they totally deserved to win this one. Who was that new amazing defenseman that you had playing for you this game?
Anyway, us Oiler fans really need to relax on how good our team will be, this team hasn't shown anything yet. I hope the next game between us will be a little less one sided!

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I got a text from my buddy who's an Oilers fan before the game saying that the Flames need to rebuild. I told him we've been rebuilding for past season and half, but he didn't understand because we have Iggy & Kipper on the roster.

I get Oilers fans are excited about the potential, but damn, that arrogance needs to be left at the door. If or when Oilers finally see success, then they can associate their methods leading up to it. Until then, they are no different from the Flames in that both have failed to meet their goals, except that the Flames has been more of a respectable competitor during which.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I get Oilers fans are excited about the potential, but damn, that arrogance needs to be left at the door. If or when Oilers finally see success, then they can associate their methods leading up to it. Until then, they are no different from the Flames in that both have failed to meet their goals...

Bang on.

If you heard the stuff I've hearing from some of my buddies who are Oilers fans, you'd think they've been going to the SCF the last 3 years. They have some talent there and likely a bright future, but fact is they haven't done ****. Yet when they come into Calgary and lose, It's supposedly because they beat themselves. Like a loss against the Flames had no business happening. Pretty arrogant fanbase for a team has been a lotto team for the last 3 years.

There's not a better hockey rivalry than the BoA, though. I love it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I got a text from my buddy who's an Oilers fan before the game saying that the Flames need to rebuild. I told him we've been rebuilding for past season and half, but he didn't understand because we have Iggy & Kipper on the roster.

I get Oilers fans are excited about the potential, but damn, that arrogance needs to be left at the door. If or when Oilers finally see success, then they can associate their methods leading up to it. Until then, they are no different from the Flames in that both have failed to meet their goals, except that the Flames has been more of a respectable competitor during which.

Some oiler fans seem pretty down to earth ( I know a few) they love their young players and obviously excited to have skill on the team again but they know they need to play as a team.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Okay, That was one of the best games I've seen this team play since their last PO appearance. Wow, Jay Who?! Seriously everyone was great, but Bouwmeester was outstanding last night. Kipper is back. Team looked solid, and the new guys impressed.

Hartley should move Cervenka to centre if/when he gets comfortable, plug Stajan on the 4th, and move Bartschi to 3rd line LW. If not, send the kid down, he should not be playing single digit ice-time...ever.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Okay, That was one of the best games I've seen this team play since their last PO appearance. Wow, Jay Who?! Seriously everyone was great, but Bouwmeester was outstanding last night. Kipper is back. Team looked solid, and the new guys impressed.

Hartley should move Cervenka to centre if/when he gets comfortable, plug Stajan on the 4th, and move Bartschi to 3rd line LW. If not, send the kid down, he should not be playing single digit ice-time...ever.

Sven/Cervenka/Hudler would be an outlandishly skilled third line, that'd be really cool.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
There's not a better hockey rivalry than the BoA, though. I love it.

The next couple of years should be dynamite for the BoA. The Oilers have been brutal for so long, but now on the way back up. Especially if guys like Janko and Gadreau can make an impact in coming years.

We have a chance to have a decent core of young guys in the next few years. Not as strong as the Oilers young core, but still having Janko, Baertschi, Gadreau, Brodie, Backlund, Wotherspoon, and maybe even Seilloff could be awesome.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
Some oiler fans seem pretty down to earth ( I know a few) they love their young players and obviously excited to have skill on the team again but they know they need to play as a team.

I was at the game and surrounded by oilers fans. I've never had a better time at a game. The guys around me at least were good about the razzing and otherwise very pleasant.

Canucks fans though, never had good experiences with them.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I was at the game and surrounded by oilers fans. I've never had a better time at a game. The guys around me at least were good about the razzing and otherwise very pleasant.

Canucks fans though, never had good experiences with them.

Yea growing up in vancouver and being a semi Canuck fan I can attest to the fact they are very cocky and arrogant.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Not sure you can take that away from the game. I know it's early, but Kipper still looks rather uncomfortable in net. All three goals last night would usually be stopped when he is on his game. Dubnyk outperformed #34 last night by a rather large margin in my opinion.

I don't doubt he will turn it around but for our sake I hope it is sooner rather than later.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

According to the roster, it's BOuwmeester... that can't be right.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The next couple of years should be dynamite for the BoA. The Oilers have been brutal for so long, but now on the way back up. Especially if guys like Janko and Gadreau can make an impact in coming years.

We have a chance to have a decent core of young guys in the next few years. Not as strong as the Oilers young core, but still having Janko, Baertschi, Gadreau, Brodie, Backlund, Wotherspoon, and maybe even Seilloff could be awesome.

And the drafting should be better going forward. Sutter wouldn't have traded Reghre or Morrisson. He would've traded a 1st rounder last year at the deadline to try and pry us back into a playoff race. He wouln't have drafted high risk/reward guys like Jankowski, he would've drafted a good character guy who otherwise can be selected in the 4th round.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not sure you can take that away from the game. I know it's early, but Kipper still looks rather uncomfortable in net. All three goals last night would usually be stopped when he is on his game. Dubnyk outperformed #34 last night by a rather large margin in my opinion.

I don't doubt he will turn it around but for our sake I hope it is sooner rather than later.

I don't think you can fault him for the 1st goal that was a snipe but I agree he hasn't looked great in 3 out of the 4 games but he has made some good saves. He usually does better seeing lots of shots last night he didn't see many other than on their pp's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad