Post-Game Talk: Flames win first BoA 4-3! Czechmate, Oilers.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Hudler looks like a guy that can score in a shootout. Or at least deke in a shootout. That's one of the things I like about him.

I think Calgary needs to make a trade though, because Bartschi is too good to be buried so deep. I'm thinking Comeau needs to go, or else maybe Bartschi can wait a bit while we pump Stempniak's trade value by riding his hot streak, and then trade him for a shutdown defenseman. I love Whirling Dervish but something needs to be done about this logjam.

CalgaryFlames1240

Jul 2, 2011
Windsor
I particularly enjoyed Glencross' play. He had some great opportunities he created himself forcing turnovers. Also Cervenka was 3/3 on faceoffs. Have we found our FO specailist? :sarcasm:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Just got home from the Dome and gotta be up early for work so Ill keep it brief.

Bouw was a beast on both ends tonight. Cervenka and Hudler were awesome. Fast, forechecking, cycling and Cervenka was more physical than I was expecting. Iggy was skating hard tonight and it showed. Backlund is finally here, hopefully to stay. It was amazing to roll four lines and put together 60 minutes of hockey. Very rarely were we hemmed into our own zone.

YANNIC44

Sep 28, 2006
I like that Hudler/Stajan/Cervenka line. Great chances from them tonight.
I'd still like Bärtschi to be in the top 9, but its hard to figure out who you would move, unless of course Bob chooses to play the 4th line more in which case I would very much rather see a certain Horak along with him.

Get used to seeing less of Backlund and Baertschi. Hartley's top 8 going forward will be the following 8 vets and whoever of this bunch he can double shift.

Glencross-Tanguay-Iginla
Hudler-Stajan-Cervenka
Cammalleri- Stempniak

Sep 13, 2009
Woohoo! Solid 60 minute effort. I was impressed by almost everyone tonight, especially Jay Bouwmeester. :amazed:

Not sure what the plan is with Baertschi going forward, it almost feels like he's being wasted on the 4th line.

Either way, great to get our first win of the season. :handclap:

Last edited:

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Get used to seeing less of Backlund and Baertschi. Hartley's top 8 going forward will be the following 8 vets and whoever of this bunch he can double shift.

Glencross-Tanguay-Iginla
Hudler-Stajan-Cervenka
Cammalleri- Stempniak

If that's the case I'd rather see Bart playing in Abbotsford.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I've given it some thought, and I'm not worried about Baertschi. It's better to over ripen him than to rush him with hard minutes when the game counts. Besides, Baertschi will have his opportunities. Guys slump and guys get injured.

In 2010-11, The Flames had 318 man games lost. During the 2011-12 season, Flames had 336 man games lost.

Look how many small forwards we have. Good thing we have Butler & Babchuck. Good thing we have Horak, Jackman & Begin. If we make the playoffs, it's because we have depth and bodies on the ice.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I've given it some thought, and I'm not worried about Baertschi. It's better to over ripen him than to rush him with hard minutes when the game counts. Besides, Baertschi will have his opportunities. Guys slump and guys get injured.

In 2010-11, The Flames had 318 man games lost. During the 2011-12 season, Flames had 336 man games lost.

Look how many small forwards we have. Good thing we have Butler & Babchuck. Good thing we have Horak, Jackman & Begin. If we make the playoffs, it's because we have depth and bodies on the ice.

Yep, lets not start trading guys because we have a "logjam", it's a good problem.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yep, lets not start trading guys because we have a "logjam", it's a good problem.

It's not a good problem to have when Baertschi is playing five minutes a night. For his sake I hope he gets sent to Abbotsford. Either way, you can never have to much depth I suppose.

Anyways, great effort by everyone tonight. Bouwmeester was absolutely dominant this evening so hopefully that is a sign of things to come. He is a completely different player when he is allowed to jump up in the play and use his skating ability to his advantage.

I was also really impressed with Cervenka's debut considering all of the obstacles he had to overcome tonight. He is not overly fast, but he is strong on his feet and has a lethal release. He should be a good player for us moving forward this season. Hudler came as advertised, a smart creative player that plays a strong puck possession game. Both of these players fit Hartley's system to a T.

Very encouraging game to say the least. I can sleep happy for once! :laugh:

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
It's kind of annoying that only 1/10 Oilers fans give Calgary any credit for the win. To the rest of them, Oilers played so bad that they couldn't beat a terrible Flames team. Pretty sore losers I gotta say.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I just don't like the idea of riding 2 lines. We have 4 lines that can score goals and I'd like to see our "bottom" 6 played more often.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I just don't like the idea of riding 2 lines. We have 4 lines that can score goals and I'd like to see our "bottom" 6 played more often.

Sutter use to play the bottom 6 pretty often. Problem was that Kostopolous/Jackman were frustrating and you knew nothing would happen. It's a different situation now obviously

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
J-Bo is playing 5 min less a night but he still probably skates the same amount of distance. And being the best skater on the team, look at the difference that makes. He's much more of a presence on the ice. As Hartley said it's OK with J-Bo joining the offense because he is rarely beaten in a footrace back to his own end. A prime example of playing players to their strengths, I hope this continues.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Great game by the Flames!!! Need to get a bit better on the PK but the good effort we had glimpses of in the first few games paid off. And thats a good thing cause it will boost this teams confidence... well except the stupid fact that we dont play until Thursday. It would be good to ride this momentum into a game on monday and tuesday.

Highs this game: Jaybo (obvious), Cervenka, Stemp, Iggy, Glenny, Backs, Hudler... I can go on
Lows: Barts reduced ice time. The kid needs to build his confidence and strength and the only way that will happen is if he get time. But then, we wont this game.

This is the year for Backs as he looks good out there, maybe next year for Bart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad