GDT: Flames vs Oilers Rookie Game (Red Deer)

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If your trying to crack an NHL roster, there are no excuses. Look at Dube on the Flames roster. All over the ice, creating scoring chances and putting in the work. Marody is not an NHL player. He might be better pursuing a music career in Nashville. Guy has the intensity of a doormat, terrible skater, and talks a lot of game.
I can never take you seriously. You sometimes sound sarcastic or just someone who doesn't think when they're posting. It's astoundingly funny and awful at the same time

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Basically it was assault. One of the most chicken**** things you will ever see. If the Calgary organization didn't send the guy home after that and offer an apology to you guys then shame on them. That wouldn't even be acceptable behavior in the LNAH.

It really was pretty deplorable. Out of the pure blue sky grab an unsuspecting player who did nothing and start pounding him in the head. The action was crazy and by a player who's only purpose in hockey life is to pummel somebody in a game that increasingly doesn't involve that.

That said I don't much like that the rooks did not address that at all on the ice. They watched it and skated away. Regardless of how heinous the opponent action is, the Oilers rooks reaction was unsettling as well. That goon shouldn't be allowed to get back to the penalty box with no response at all. At minimum you have to get in his grill.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
If your trying to crack an NHL roster, there are no excuses. Look at Dube on the Flames roster. All over the ice, creating scoring chances and putting in the work. Marody is not an NHL player. He might be better pursuing a music career in Nashville. Guy has the intensity of a doormat, terrible skater, and talks a lot of game.
Remember that Marody got hurt in the playoffs and missed their entire second round series. It’s very possible that impacted how soon he was able to get back on the ice this summer so he’d be noticeably more rusty than other.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I saw the crane toppled that was DT, it made the front page here. There was ample warning to dissemble the crane, and that would probably have been advisable with this monster coming through. Lots of work and time lost though in dismantling cranes. If they don't do it, they should more publicize the danger. Some of the news reports are so silly saying a crane is such a super structure. I've known these to topple before on jobsites. Really scary situation and people could have been killed. At minimum the Crane ought to have not been in a position that was sideways to the wind. That probably contributed to it going down. Cranes are somewhat stable and can lift due to counterweights. But laterally they can be susceptible to over 100K sustained winds.

Atlantic Canada is a wonderful place, particularly for retirees, but the weather is increasingly a problem.

Halifax is booming the last few years because of Naval Contract. Thousands of jobs. When I got outta Engineering in 1991, there wasn’t a job to be found and there wasn’t a crane in the air. Now cranes dot the skyline. I’m surprised no one was killed actually

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I can never take you seriously. You sometimes sound sarcastic or just someone who doesn't think when they're posting. It's astoundingly funny and awful at the same time

It will be astoundingly funny if Marody joins the long list of failed Oiler hopefuls...but hey don't take me too seriously, Marody is not cut out for the NHL. Think Arcobello but less ability. If he makes it great. People however need to stop making excuses for him. Some posters on here acting like he's an adopted son and get all offended by an opinion.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It will be astoundingly funny if Marody joins the long list of failed Oiler hopefuls...but hey don't take me too seriously, Marody is not cut out for the NHL. Think Arcobello but less ability. If he makes it great. People however need to stop making excuses for him. Some posters on here acting like he's an adopted son and get all offended by an opinion.
Having a concussion and missing a lot of training this summer isn’t an excuse, it’s a fact.

Reactions: KYams17

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Maroon wasn’t doing much more than Marody at the same age.

Goals/Assists maybe, but completely different player types. Maroon at about the same age had completed his second full season of AHL hockey and had put up 34 goals and 98 points in 147 games. Marody thus far has 20 goals and 67 points in 61 games.

But Maroon is 3 inches taller 40 pounds heavier and had 187 PIM at that same point vs. Marody's 42 PIM.

Marody could very well outproduce him but I don't think it is reasonable to draw links between the two as they aren't even close to the same style of player.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

North

Jun 25, 2009
Goals/Assists maybe, but completely different player types. Maroon at about the same age had completed his second full season of AHL hockey and had put up 34 goals and 98 points in 147 games. Marody thus far has 20 goals and 67 points in 61 games.

But Maroon is 3 inches taller 40 pounds heavier and had 187 PIM at that same point vs. Marody's 42 PIM.

Marody could very well outproduce him but I don't think it is reasonable to draw links between the two as they aren't even close to the same style of player.

The point is Maroon wasn’t a finished product at that age and neither is Marody.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It's a tricky time for Marody. He did something what a lot of young players do after experiencing what real pro hockey is, and he packed on a lot of muscle. He probably got a lot of pushes and shoves like he never got before in his career and decided to put on some push-back weight. But the problem with that, and this happened with Gagner, is that putting on 7 pounds of weight can slow you down. He's going to have to find that sweet spot between bulking up and optimal speed.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wouldn't draw too many conclusions about a player like Marody in tournaments like this.

I'd say it's a pretty common theme for cerebral players to struggle in them while the high motor types who don't really rely on systems or teammates stand out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I work for the Power Company so I know it takes time to get people back online. The hurricane was not as bad as Juan back in 2003 but it took out most of the province. The problem is Nova Scotia has big trees so when the wind comes, they go down. They are down all over Halifax, along with a crane that toppled. I have a bad feeling we are in for a very violent winter. The last 3 have been nothing so we are due.
As for people leaving, that happens a lot in Atlantic Canada. Our economy is crap. [mod]

Man...thats a lot to deal with. I used to be a lineman many years ago...cleaned up after storms...its not an easy job.

I heard that due to the amount of people leaving the province Nova Scotia was offering up incentives for people to move there. Is that true?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maroon wasn’t doing much more than Marody at the same age.

Marody has nowhere the same physical tools or size as Maroon. And the game is far far faster now than when Maroon broke in. You can’t skate today your not playing in the NHL. Maroon can barely get a contract today.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Man...thats a lot to deal with. I used to be a lineman many years ago...cleaned up after storms...its not an easy job.

I heard that due to the amount of people leaving the province Nova Scotia was offering up incentives for people to move there. Is that true?

Never heard incentives. They are crying for doctors for sure. NS is a great place to live if u have a good job but we are losing the young people from the smaller areas. I live 1.5 NE of Halifax so my area has really died. Halifax is booming though I must say. It is quite the city. Great night life. They have a huge university population.
Quick question for ya on your lineman days. Did ya do lots of climbing on the spurs? I probably climbed from here to Edmonton. No wonder now I’m having problems with my knees.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Marody has nowhere the same physical tools or size as Maroon. And the game is far far faster now than when Maroon broke in. You can’t skate today your not playing in the NHL. Maroon can barely get a contract today.

Again Marody is not a finished product. He definitely has to work on his skating and hopefully he does.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Never heard incentives. They are crying for doctors for sure. NS is a great place to live if u have a good job but we are losing the young people from the smaller areas. I live 1.5 NE of Halifax so my area has really died. Halifax is booming though I must say. It is quite the city. Great night life. They have a huge university population.
Quick question for ya on your lineman days. Did ya do lots of climbing on the spurs? I probably climbed from here to Edmonton. No wonder now I’m having problems with my knees.

Climbing on spurs was the main part of my job. I remember many winter days when I would be up there 40 feet in the air dealing with the wind. Quite a job. I had a boss that would occasionally stand at the bottom of the pole and shake it just for fun. Man I hated that.
He didnt know that I was scared of heights when I took that job...I figured it would cure that problem. The first few weeks I was almost too scared to lean back on the safety strap and let it take my weight...I just wanted to hug the pole.
Took about 6 months to completely get over my fear but it worked. :nod:
I really enjoyed that job after that...there were times when I was at the top of a pole and no one was around. Just me in the middle of the wilderness in silence.
I only did the job for about 18 months so my knees werent an issue. Sounds like you have been doing it for a long time.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It will be astoundingly funny when superstar rookie game extraordinaire Dube ends up being nothing. Super rookie Dube has 1 goal in 25 NHL games. Superb star

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Climbing on spurs was the main part of my job. I remember many winter days when I would be up there 40 feet in the air dealing with the wind. Quite a job. I had a boss that would occasionally stand at the bottom of the pole and shake it just for fun. Man I hated that.
He didnt know that I was scared of heights when I took that job...I figured it would cure that problem. The first few weeks I was almost too scared to lean back on the safety strap and let it take my weight...I just wanted to hug the pole.
Took about 6 months to completely get over my fear but it worked. :nod:
I really enjoyed that job after that...there were times when I was at the top of a pole and no one was around. Just me in the middle of the wilderness in silence.
I only did the job for about 18 months so my knees werent an issue. Sounds like you have been doing it for a long time.

Climbed for 12 years. I got out when I was 34. Very dangerous job. I’ve had some dandy injuries over the years. U r correct though when you are on top of pole. It is very peaceful when you lean back and take in the sites

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Climbed for 12 years. I got out when I was 34. Very dangerous job. I’ve had some dandy injuries over the years. U r correct though when you are on top of pole. It is very peaceful when you lean back and take in the sites

I used to be a masonry labor, climbing up and down scaffolding all the time when not erecting it and taking it down. Also have fear of heights, but its a misnomer. Everybody SHOULD be reasonably fearful of it because you always lose in any falls.. Its not a phobia, its healthy fear.

I learned to like it, and always liked the view and fresh air.

Those were good times. A kid making 15 bucks/hr was a lot then and rent was around 350 bucks.

I could work for 5mths and afford to go to University, pay my way, and pay my annual expenses. Try doing that now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad