GDT: Flames vs Oilers Rookie Game (Red Deer)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not sure Marody has the skating for the show.

Yeah he’s neither fast at top speed nor quick in short spaces.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s an Anton Lander type of player who slays it in the AHL but struggles at the faster NHL level.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
That was one Rustyy game. Hate to see Marody get Tripped and then throw it away at the end but its whatever.

Was nice to see that Ostap Safin looks healthy again hopefully he can pick up his game again, wherever that might be.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Was at the game. Was sitting too close to the ice to judge guys skating. Bouchard and Benson looked really good to my eye. Very crafty little plays all over the ice. Samorukov looked good. Dube was the only Flame that really caught my eye. Lavoie stood out to me too. Drives the net well. Desharnais has a mean streak. Lol

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Was at the game. Was sitting too close to the ice to judge guys skating. Bouchard and Benson looked really good to my eye. Very crafty little plays all over the ice. Samorukov looked good. Dube was the only Flame that really caught my eye. Lavoie stood out to me too. Drives the net well. Desharnais has a mean streak. Lol

What stood out on tv and I’m sure in person was he was a lot quicker in his first two strides.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
An ugly game by all except Bouchard, and even Bouch had that OT brainfart where both he and Benson got hypnotized by offence when Marody didn't have full control.

But... Good to have hockey back.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
How did Benson look?

Can someone describe Samorukov's night, too, please?

Benson looked good, but I expected more from him. His skating does look better.

The thing I was hoping to see from Benson was the ability to create his own space, and I didn't see much of that. But it's just the first game.

Samorukov didn't look good. He got walked a couple times, looked like he wasn't up to speed. But then literally everybody but Bouchard had what could be characterized as a bad outing.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Benson looked good, but I expected more from him. His skating does look better.

The thing I was hoping to see from Benson was the ability to create his own space, and I didn't see much of that. But it's just the first game.

Samorukov didn't look good. He got walked a couple times, looked like he wasn't up to speed. But then literally everybody but Bouchard had what could be characterized as a bad outing.
I honestly think Benson will look better with better or smarter players than he did today.

He is such an intelligent player that having predictable teammates will make a difference.

Reactions: frag2 and SourOil

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I went to the game. Its a game that means nothing but be that as it may, it was an altogether bad game.

Our prospects as a group and individually failed to impress or execute in any meaningful manner. Our group on paper "should" be way better than the Flames and none of that really showed. An honorable mention to Bouchard but even then... tough to really praise.

Is what it is. A very very rusty sloppy meaningless game that the officiating won for them... But any of those guys wanting to Crack the nhl this year will have to show so much more before the season starts.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

How did McLoed look in person? I really liked his game tonight. Kid can fly.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How did Benson look?

Can someone describe Samorukov's night, too, please?

Benson looks quicker and did well along the wall and in battles, made some nice plays and defensively responsible. Had a nice little mean streak in the 2nd which is in his game when he’s confident.

Samorukov I thought played fairly well. Stepped up a couple times for a big hit and misjudged the timing and got caught but it’s game 1, otherwise I thought was pretty solid. Held the line in the o zone a couple times nicely. Clearly him Bouchard and Day were the Oilers best 3 d men.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Guys quick tell Holland Marody is a bust! He had a bad rookie game omg

I don’t think he’s a bust, I just don’t think he has the wheels for the NHL game. Said that after I watched him play last year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad