GDT: Flames vs Flyers (Wednesday @ 6:30PM MST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I still think Ferland makes this team better. Our first line with Ferland was more dangerous 5 v 5 than it's been with Lindholm, as in-denial as people are about that fact.

But trading Hamilton was worth it if we weren't going to play Hamilton at RW. Brodie is the better top pair D and Andersson is the better "whatever Wideman's role used to be back in 2014-15".
Maybe if Ferland was a right handed shot i could see the argument. But Lindholm is a RH shot, younger and seems more consistant. Lets see if he can keep it up all year.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Lindholm.

Like, adding a PPG forward boost a forward group. It makes a team that was really bad at scoring a whole lot better. Who knows how long that will last though, given what he was in Carolina. If the whole first line blow the second half again, we might have a repeat from last year. We were good 'til we weren't.

Hopefully the only trend that flip is Smith's 88% save pct.
Also adding a steady defensemen which solidified the second pairing and let Gio-Brodie work together has been huge. I would argue the stabilisation of the d-core with Hanifin has been more important than Lindholm.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I don't think that's it. I mean, of course that's great, but last year we had Versteeg essentially giving us what Lindholm has on the PP and Ferland giving us more than what Lindholm has at ES.
Ferland scored 34 5v5 p-points, which is great. Lindholm's no where near on pace get there so you're right about that. But you can't just combine two players' scoring output at their best situations as if that extra roster spot can't produce any point. Not worth losing the god of rebounds and mass volume shooting for a small compensation that is Hanifin tho, I still hate that trade.

And Versteeg of all people? He scored a whooping 3 primary powerplay points last year. Lindholm, 11 so far. Not sure what your point was there.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The cynical part of me is amused that we have people that claim Bennett and to a lesser extent Jankowski haven't been put in a position to succeed, but you don't hear that argument for Neal nearly as much.
That line is arguably 3 pure goal-scorers (at the NHL level - whatever Janko has done in the AHL or college is irrelevant) and being set up for failure. Has Neal been tried with Czarnik or Frolik yet? I think that could be a hell of third line if he can't manage to crack the top 6.

Quite honestly Janko and Ryan should be on our 4th line with Hathaway, not in our middle 6, based on how their season's gone so far

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Ferland scored 34 5v5 p-points, which is great. Lindholm's no where near on pace get there so you're right about that. But you can't just combine two players' scoring output at their best situations as if that extra roster spot can't produce any point. Not worth losing the god of rebounds and mass volume shooting for a small compensation that is Hanifin tho, I still hate that trade.

And Versteeg of all people? He scored a whooping 3 primary powerplay points last year. Lindholm, 11 so far. Not sure what your point was there.
The top line is absolutely gorgeous this year. When many advocated to split, I stood :)

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I was never a Versteeg fan while he was here. He did some things, flashes a little skill at times but I feel like his time was really overrated. The fact his absence was made an excuse for our PP trouble was a joke. He’s not that big of an impact player. It’s not as if he was a Gaudreau on the pp for us. Our coach was the problem.

Agreed. I felt he was taking away valuable ice time and PP time from our young upandcomers.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Something that I keep noticing: Gaudreau loves to set up on his off-wing when we pull the goalie so I'm curious why he's on the left during the PP if he's not as comfortable there

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t know why some are saying Smith was bad last night. I mean I get it, sure. But the guy was clearly hurt which is why he was pulled. I don’t feel like it’s fair to throw a guy under the bus for his performance when he’s unable to play to his abilities.

Smith has been a beast lately, I really hope he gets back and soon.

Reactions: Corpus X

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don’t know why some are saying Smith was bad last night. I mean I get it, sure. But the guy was clearly hurt which is why he was pulled. I don’t feel like it’s fair to throw a guy under the bus for his performance when he’s unable to play to his abilities.

Smith has been a beast lately, I really hope he gets back and soon.

He had two games where he let in really bad goals. Of course people are gonna jump on it.

I also said elsewhere, if he knew he wasn't at 100% he shouldn't have been playing.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He had two games where he let in really bad goals. Of course people are gonna jump on it.

I also said elsewhere, if he knew he wasn't at 100% he shouldn't have been playing.

Letting in a bad goal isn’t ideal, but let’s be honest most goalies do let in a bad goal once a game and this season that’s been very common.

I agree that if he was injured he shouldn’t have been playing, but we shouldn’t be critically harsh on a players game in he’s not able to perform to par.

Reactions: SKRusty

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Letting in a bad goal isn’t ideal, but let’s be honest most goalies do let in a bad goal once a game and this season that’s been very common.

I agree that if he was injured he shouldn’t have been playing, but we shouldn’t be critically harsh on a players game in he’s not able to perform to par.

I disagree entirely. If he knew he wasn't up to par and chose to play, I think he's actually more open to criticism than he would have been otherwise.

Should we base his season on this game? No. But he's definitely opened himself up to a new type of criticism, when he already had plenty of other black marks against his record this season.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

There are many that want to jump on Smith right now but the one thing we are learning about Mike Smith is he is a fighter... If he lets in 6 bad goals and we are in a situation to win he does not give up. Is he at his best? no and I do not think anyone will infer that but through all this crap going on around him Mike Smith is still betting on himself. Last night against Philly Mike was tied up with a Philly player forcing him into some extreme flexibility situation. When he went to get up it took him a couple seconds to right the ship. The fourth goal was the only iffy goal and it appears to me to be stiffening in his left leg. He wanted to go down into the butterfly and his body would not let him.

People can yammer on about how Smith should have pulled himself earlier but this guy fights through adversity and to expect him to give into what he likely thought was a tweak will never happen. Thankfully he swallowed his pride before the third and we got the win. That shows experience and a great amount of humbleness which is huge growth for Mike. Years gone by he probably would have went into the third and injured himself worse and/or compromised the chances of winning.

Smith has the heart of a champion and will help this team moving forward. He nurtures Rittich... Look no further than the end of the Columbus game... and he puts his soul into the team. With things going so well too much is being done to dwell on the few negatives about this team.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I disagree entirely. If he knew he wasn't up to par and chose to play, I think he's actually more open to criticism than he would have been otherwise.

Should we base his season on this game? No. But he's definitely opened himself up to a new type of criticism, when he already had plenty of other black marks against his record this season.

It’s fair to say if he wasn’t feeling 100% “before” game that he shouldn’t have played. No arguments here. However we don’t know that and it appears he did tweak something in game. Peters and the medical staff made the correct call to pull him for the 3rd.

My issue is with people saying he stunk when he was clearly not 100% playing in game, then saying that’s just how Smith is. Smith has shown this shown he can still play at a very high level and without a doubt when healthy, he’s an upgrade on Rittich.

Reactions: SKRusty

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Smith has shown this shown he can still play at a very high level and without a doubt when healthy, he’s an upgrade on Rittich.

I disagree, the stats tell a different story and the eye test is not supporting Smith...he looked like a fool numerous times this year when healthy.

That last goal is such an embarrassment.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I disagree, the stats tell a different story and the eye test is not supporting Smith...he looked like a fool numerous times this year when healthy.

That last goal is such an embarrassment.

I don't usually disagree with Hox but I am in full agreement with you here. Rittich is the better goalie at this point in time by a rather wide margin and deserves a much longer rope to prove it. Maybe that time is now depending on the severity of SMith's injury.

Smith had a nice little run of games, but the quality of competition he faced was very poor. Only one of those six wins came against a team in the top 15 in NHL standings.

That fourth goal is not acceptable at ANY level of hockey, let alone the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
More goals doesn’t necessarily mean more bad goals.

So do you think the change in goalie equipment has nothing to do with the increase in goals? Because I’ve seen lots of high level goalies this year that have flat out struggled.

I think earlier this season Smith was really fighting it, I won’t excuse his play due to health because there’s nothing to support that. But on this last run that Smith was on, minus a couple of bad goals (that any goalie is subject to giving up) he’s been excellent. He should get a lot of credit for getting his game back on track. I think it’s pretty clear his poor performance last night can be attributed to that he tweaked something. Again the fact that he was pulled by the coach and medical staff because he was injured clearly illustrates this.

II, this is not all directed at you, but my issue is people just dumping on Smith for the sake of it. He has 1 bad game after a very good stretch and suddenly he’s trash again. People can fan anyway they want to, but so can I and think it’s complete crap for people dump on him under the circumstances.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't usually disagree with Hox but I am in full agreement with you here. Rittich is the better goalie at this point in time by a rather wide margin and deserves a much longer rope to prove it. Maybe that time is now depending on the severity of SMith's injury.

Smith had a nice little run of games, but the quality of competition he faced was very poor. Only one of those six wins came against a team in the top 15 in NHL standings.

That fourth goal is not acceptable at ANY level of hockey, let alone the NHL.

I like Rittich a lot, he has had an excellent year to date. But for me, the sample size is to small to declare he’s a better goalie than Smith, yet. If I’m going into a playoff series, without a doubt Smith is my guy. That isn’t to say Rittich can’t be a very good starter, the Flames are handling him the exact right way and they need to continue to bring him along as they are. But when I see guys like Price, Bob, Rask, Holtby and all these elite goalies having down years, I think we can start to piece together a trend here.

Rittich has had a better year overall, I think Smith has a higher high and I think mentally he’s a warrior you want in a big game. I also feel strongly that the Flames are going to do everything to ensure he’s their guy for the playoffs because they feel the same.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think most people are in denial of what a terrible situation the Smith injury puts us in. Gillies has been terrible this year and personally, I don’t have faith in Rittich, without a safety net. If Smith is out for any amount of time, this could be very bad news. Not to mention, he really wasn’t very good, returning from injury last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad