GDT: Flames vs Flyers (Wednesday @ 6:30PM MST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think most people are in denial of what a terrible situation the Smith injury puts us in. Gillies has been terrible this year and personally, I don’t have faith in Rittich, without a safety net. If Smith is out for any amount of time, this could be very bad news. Not to mention, he really wasn’t very good, returning from injury last year.

I really hope that it’s because he noticed something was tweaked in game, he tried to play through it but wasn’t able to do what he does. So the coaches pulled the plug on him for more precautionary reasons. This is just me being an optimist though, I just really hope it’s nothing serious.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
The last goal was bad but rewatching it, it looks like he hurts himself and that's why he let it in. The other goals before it weren't his fault, they were bad defensive breakdowns that led to a goal. That being said, we do expect the goalie to make a big save every once in a while and he hasn't done that.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So do you think the change in goalie equipment has nothing to do with the increase in goals? Because I’ve seen lots of high level goalies this year that have flat out struggled.

I think earlier this season Smith was really fighting it, I won’t excuse his play due to health because there’s nothing to support that. But on this last run that Smith was on, minus a couple of bad goals (that any goalie is subject to giving up) he’s been excellent. He should get a lot of credit for getting his game back on track. I think it’s pretty clear his poor performance last night can be attributed to that he tweaked something. Again the fact that he was pulled by the coach and medical staff because he was injured clearly illustrates this.

II, this is not all directed at you, but my issue is people just dumping on Smith for the sake of it. He has 1 bad game after a very good stretch and suddenly he’s trash again. People can fan anyway they want to, but so can I and think it’s complete crap for people dump on him under the circumstances.

No it definitely has a lot to do with it, I am just stating that goals caused by that change aren’t inheritly the bad ones I guess. Flub is still a flub smaller pads or not, and Smith has made a lot of them this season.

I see where you’re coming from.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No it definitely has a lot to do with it, I am just stating that goals caused by that change aren’t inheritly the bad ones I guess. Flub is still a flub smaller pads or not, and Smith has made a lot of them this season.

I see where you’re coming from.

It might just be a matter of definitions. I do agree with you that there is a classic “bad goal”. But I think a large majority of goalies this season have let in more goals that would have typically saved in previous years and we are talking about Vezina winning goalies.

Smiths numbers at the start of the year were atrocious, there’s no denying that. But my issue is that he played himself back into a more than respectable level and he’s getting unnecessary hate due to an injury.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I really hope that it’s because he noticed something was tweaked in game, he tried to play through it but wasn’t able to do what he does. So the coaches pulled the plug on him for more precautionary reasons. This is just me being an optimist though, I just really hope it’s nothing serious.
He was stretching his groin a lot in the 2nd period, after whistles and such. Mrs Doo noticed and pointed it out to me.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I disagree, the stats tell a different story and the eye test is not supporting Smith...he looked like a fool numerous times this year when healthy.

That last goal is such an embarrassment.

I do agree you’re onti something Hox. But I agree with other people that our goalies have been exceptionally bad. Outside of Rittich who has been great.

If you are going to say things be accurate. Smith in November I was reading today had somewhere around a 0.930 save percentage. Looking for that article right now but until then from the Nashville game preview at NHL .com

Goalie Mike Smith will try for his sixth straight victory for the Flames, who are first in the Pacific Division and 8-1-1 in their past 10 games. Smith is 5-0-0 with a 1.50 goals-against average, .939 save percentage and one shutout in his past five games.

Smith in particular had a bad October.. I dare say a catastrophic October but that does not mean that can be the argument all season. Many people are judging the performance of Neal, Smith and Brodie early on based solely on season-to-date numbers and a few bad moments. Were they bad moments? Yes... Some downright ugly... but that is not the reality of that picture today. Smith kicked butt against the Wild and Nashville while saving Rittich's butt in Columbus and though there were some weird goals he pulled that game out in crucial moments. Some people need to check if their eye test is really in perspective.

Mike Smith still has it and November proved that. Did he get injured yes. Did he let up one soft goal likely because he was injured?? Sure. HE pulled himself... He knew he would not give the team the best chance to win. It wasn't Bill or the medical staff it was Mike Smith. Quit putting narratives that just are not there.

There has been so much over-reaction to certain players play you would think we were on the Leafs boards.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If you are going to say things be accurate. Smith in November I was reading today had somewhere around a 0.930 save percentage. Looking for that article right now but until then from the Nashville game preview at NHL .com

Goalie Mike Smith will try for his sixth straight victory for the Flames, who are first in the Pacific Division and 8-1-1 in their past 10 games. Smith is 5-0-0 with a 1.50 goals-against average, .939 save percentage and one shutout in his past five games.

Smith in particular had a bad October.. I dare say a catastrophic October but that does not mean that can be the argument all season. Many people are judging the performance of Neal, Smith and Brodie early on based solely on season-to-date numbers and a few bad moments. Were they bad moments? Yes... Some downright ugly... but that is not the reality of that picture today. Smith kicked butt against the Wild and Nashville while saving Rittich's butt in Columbus and though there were some weird goals he pulled that game out in crucial moments. Some people need to check if their eye test is really in perspective.

Mike Smith still has it and November proved that. Did he get injured yes. Did he let up one soft goal likely because he was injured?? Sure. HE pulled himself... He knew he would not give the team the best chance to win. It wasn't Bill or the medical staff it was Mike Smith. Quit putting narratives that just are not there.

There has been so much over-reaction to certain players play you would think we were on the Leafs boards.

So Smith is a hero for getting injured? The one that is injured is his pride. That was a pathetic display of goaltending.

You blame people for only looking at the bad part of his season by selectively looking at only the good part of his season?

This is all homerish bullshit and you know it. Smith lost more games on his own than win . There is no spinning on that. Smith has always been an inconsistent headcase his whole career and it is getting worse now. He let in some of the worst goals I have ever seen. The guy has one career half decent playoff and people are talking like he is some f***ing warrior..lol

By the way, Smith didn't save rittich butt, the flames offense did in the colombus game. Smith was a big joke in that game too. Rittich actually saved Smit from the f***ing embarassment this last game. Pull your head out of Smith behind and you may find the truth. Smith is the flames weaklink.

Now I am not convinced rittich is the answer. Time will tell but at this point he is a much better option for the flames.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad