GDT: Flames vs Flyers (Wednesday @ 6:30PM MST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I was never a Versteeg fan while he was here. He did some things, flashes a little skill at times but I feel like his time was really overrated. The fact his absence was made an excuse for our PP trouble was a joke. He’s not that big of an impact player. It’s not as if he was a Gaudreau on the pp for us. Our coach was the problem.
Agree with this. Liked him as a player, but wasn’t a fan of his usage.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
To anyone who thinks Monahan isn't a fast skater watch the OT goal. His straight line speed is above average and can skate with the best of them, his agility isn't the best, but he is fairly quick guy when he gets going.

I don't know what Provorov was doing on that OT goal though, completely left Gaudreau alone in front to cover Monahan who was already covered. He tried the same move Sanheim did to score and Rittich shut him down with ease, there's no way Sanheim scores if Rittich is in net. Like I said during the game, I could see what Sanheim was going to do when he was at the dot, I don't know how Smith didn't know he would go back hand there. There's no reason that should have been a goal, Smith made himself as small as possible and turtled on the goal line like always. I don't want Smith to go by injury, prefer him as a backup obviously, but if he is indeed injured I hope Rittich takes this opportunity and continues to prove he is a legit starter. His confidence looks to be on point and he looks way better than he did last year.

Reactions: Nanuuk

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
What a freaking game, but we really need to shore up our blueline. Hanifin is so slow, he needs to take less chances, because he can't cover if blown. Regardless of injury, Smith needs to ride the pine for a bit. I said it at the start of the year that goaltending would be our achilles heal. Love the comebacks, but we cannot be playing this way headed into the playoffs.

I am however loving last nights comeback, just unreal!!! Monahan was a beast last night!

Reactions: Sk8M8 and flames23

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Mike Smith:
giphy.gif

Seriously, I hope he was injured, not in a malicious way, but because that's the only way to excuse his atrocious performance last night. He was getting the Bronx cheer from a lot of the fans in the second period, which I don't partake in myself but can't say it wasn't deserved. I get that he's apparently one of those guys that does better with a high volume of shots against but like, does he just sleep his way through the other games where the Flames are dominating???? The Flames really need to ride Rittich here for a while, he only faced 5 shots in just over 20 minutes but he was great. Made a nice save on Couturier just before his SHG. Stopped Provorov in OT to set up the game winner. Looks like he hasn't missed a beat despite being on the bench for over a week.

Top line was unreal last night. Seems that Gaudreau always steps it up against the Flyers. There was one rush in the final minute where everyone thought he was gonna solo that game-tying goal, he just rushed through the Flyers like he was playing on easy mode. Monahan's release is something to behold and you don't always get that just watching the games on tv. His PPG in the second was a rocket. I doubt he keeps up the pace but he's trending towards his first 50 goal season. I think he ends up around 40 but man he's good. Lindholm had a pretty quiet night but the top line as a whole was buzzing all night.

I thought Bennett had a good start to the game, though I don't recall seeing him much after the second. On the flip side, I thought Giordano had a horrible start despite his SHG but got better as the game progressed.

Really happy for Rasmus to get his first goal and I love that Peters trusts him enough to put him out in the final minute. Kid is as good as Giordano at holding that line in the offensive zone. I think it's pretty cool that now Valimaki, Kylington, and Andersson all have their first goals out of the way.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I still think Ferland makes this team better. Our first line with Ferland was more dangerous 5 v 5 than it's been with Lindholm, as in-denial as people are about that fact.

But trading Hamilton was worth it if we weren't going to play Hamilton at RW. Brodie is the better top pair D and Andersson is the better "whatever Wideman's role used to be back in 2014-15".

I'm literally curious if you would have been happier with trading Monahan in place of Ferland.

You'd probably like Gaudreau-Lindholm-Ferland more eh?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I still think Ferland makes this team better. Our first line with Ferland was more dangerous 5 v 5 than it's been with Lindholm, as in-denial as people are about that fact.

But trading Hamilton was worth it if we weren't going to play Hamilton at RW. Brodie is the better top pair D and Andersson is the better "whatever Wideman's role used to be back in 2014-15".

I honestly have no idea what your facts are. Outside of your insistence that Ferland is some kind of Jamie Benn type monster.
Here are some facts:

Ferland and Lindholm (YTD) have played about a similar spread, about 10% of their games playing away from Johnny Gaudreau / Sean Monahan. Flames overall team possession numbers are different by about 0.3% (YOY)

Facts:
Monahan and Johnny's possession numbers with Ferland:
Johnny: 52.37, Monahan: 53.97
Monahan and Johnny's possession numbers with Lindholm:
Johnny: 57.87, Monahan 56.98

Facts:
Monahan and Johnny's 5v5 goals forward with Ferland:
Johnny/Monahan: 42 GF over ~72 games.
Monahan and Johnny's 5v5 goals forward with Lindholm:
Johnny//Monahan: 27 (average between 28 and 26) over ~29 games

Facts:
Monahan and Johnny's scoring chances with Ferland:
Johnny: 51.28, Monahan: 48.28
Monahan and Johnny's scoring chances with Lindholm:
Johnny: 56.60, Monahan: 55.93

Now, you're not a big eye test guy, because your eye test tells you who's going to win Selke's, be Erik Karlsson's and be Prime Toews; so we know that's f***ed. But eye test gives Lindholm the nod, they're downright dominant. Now if you're only looking for facts: Facts, advanced metrics tell you that with Lindholm, Johnny and Monahan: Create more shots, create more chances, give up less chances and score more goals. In denial might be a good word here.

Also, may as well admit you were wrong on the Andersson front while you're ahead. The guy's got top 4D written all over him, and the coach plays him when the game matters most. The guy's decision making at 21 are superior to those of Wideman when he was 29.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I honestly have no idea what your facts are. Outside of your insistence that Ferland is some kind of Jamie Benn type monster.
Here are some facts:

Ferland and Lindholm (YTD) have played about a similar spread, about 10% of their games playing away from Johnny Gaudreau / Sean Monahan. Flames overall team possession numbers are different by about 0.3% (YOY)

Facts:
Monahan and Johnny's possession numbers with Ferland:
Johnny: 52.37, Monahan: 53.97
Monahan and Johnny's possession numbers with Lindholm:
Johnny: 57.87, Monahan 56.98

Facts:
Monahan and Johnny's 5v5 goals forward with Ferland:
Johnny/Monahan: 42 GF over ~72 games.
Monahan and Johnny's 5v5 goals forward with Lindholm:
Johnny//Monahan: 27 (average between 28 and 26) over ~29 games

Facts:
Monahan and Johnny's scoring chances with Ferland:
Johnny: 51.28, Monahan: 48.28
Monahan and Johnny's scoring chances with Lindholm:
Johnny: 56.60, Monahan: 55.93

Now, you're not a big eye test guy, because your eye test tells you who's going to win Selke's, be Erik Karlsson's and be Prime Toews; so we know that's ****ed. But eye test gives Lindholm the nod, they're downright dominant. Now if you're only looking for facts: Facts, advanced metrics tell you that with Lindholm, Johnny and Monahan: Create more shots, create more chances, give up less chances and score more goals. In denial might be a good word here.

Also, may as well admit you were wrong on the Andersson front while you're ahead. The guy's got top 4D written all over him, and the coach plays him when the game matters most. The guy's decision making at 21 are superior to those of Wideman when he was 29.
Dude, why even bother? He still thinks Monahan isn't a top line centre, what else would you expect from him? He thrives to play devil's advocate on every occasion possible. Or is literally insane, which I doubt...Because he makes some solid observations from time to time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Dude, why even bother? He still thinks Monahan isn't a top line centre, what else would you expect from him? He thrives to play devil's advocate on every occasion possible. Or is literally insane, which I doubt...Because he makes some solid observations from time to time.

Because it's fun. Everyone's allowed to have their opinion,no matter how wrong or stupid it may be.
The hot takes are just hilarious though.

Fun note, this time last year, this was the stretch that Ferland had 6 points in like 16 games. Elias already has 11 in 8 during the same stretch.
Pretty crazy. We get an elite first line talent that compliments our top line flawlessly, a guy who makes our PP better, a guy who plays the first unit PK. And somehow a guy who's career high is 41 points, and is 3 years older, is the far more dangerous player.

I love living in a world where Ferland + Versteeg >> Lindholm. A dude who's not even in the NHL :laugh:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Because it's fun. Everyone's allowed to have their opinion,no matter how wrong or stupid it may be.
The hot takes are just hilarious though.

Fun note, this time last year, this was the stretch that Ferland had 6 points in like 16 games. Elias already has 11 in 8 during the same stretch.
Pretty crazy. We get an elite first line talent that compliments our top line flawlessly, a guy who makes our PP better, a guy who plays the first unit PK. And somehow a guy who's career high is 41 points, and is 3 years older, is the far more dangerous player.

I love living in a world where Ferland + Versteeg >> Lindholm. A dude who's not even in the NHL :laugh:

It is comical, I'm just glad we can once again highlight how amazing Lindholm has been.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Most people think Tom Wilson's contract is a joke, highly overpaid for what he is, etc.

Yet I take him 10/10 times over Ferland at the same money. And some Flames fans think Ferland should have Neal's contract. *shudder*

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Most people think Tom Wilson's contract is a joke, highly overpaid for what he is, etc.

Yet I take him 10/10 times over Ferland at the same money. And some Flames fans think Ferland should have Neal's contract. *shudder*

To be fair, Wilson had a career high of 35 points when he signed that contract. It's looking good right now yes, but I'm willing to say it's a safe bet he won't continue over PPG for the rest of the season either.

DubeWheresMyCar

Sep 26, 2018
I LOVE Ferland, but I wouldn't sign him to a deal over 3 million a season. I think he's a great player that teams need to have success, but he's also a player with a role that is easily filled. I just prefer him to the other options, lol.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Great result troops. These kinds of wins whisper only great things to accomplish. This could really be our year! Now I know I am getting slightly disadvantaged on my favourite Flames forum platform because I keep presenting my honest views and feelings regarding those two but would anyone comment on the Neal and Smith situation? Would there be an argument to remove them from our team?

Last edited:
Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
No I don't think so. Not yet at any rate. Both have struggled, but so have many other NHL'ers, on this team and elsewhere. Both are veterans that the kids look up to. Both will be heard from loud and clear before this season is done.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Great result troops. These kinds of wins whisper only great things to accomplish. This could really be our year! Now I know I am getting slightly disadvantaged on my favourite Flames forum platform because I keep presenting my honest views and feelings regarding those two but would anyone comment on the Neal and Smith situation? Would there be an argument to remove them from our team?

Smith I think we are stuck with for better or worse unless Rittich really falters.

Neal I think we're stuck waiting to see what we have, for multiple reasons. Either A. nobody is going to take that contract right now, B. Management is hoping he turns it around, as he's still streaky as f***, C. it hurts out ability to play the free agent market if we trade a guy right away, unless Neal comes out and says he requested it. and D. sometimes it takes guys a while to click with new teams. We saw it happen first hand with Dougie and Hamonic.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Smith I think we are stuck with for better or worse unless Rittich really falters.

Neal I think we're stuck waiting to see what we have, for multiple reasons. Either A. nobody is going to take that contract right now, B. Management is hoping he turns it around, as he's still streaky as ****, C. it hurts out ability to play the free agent market if we trade a guy right away, unless Neal comes out and says he requested it. and D. sometimes it takes guys a while to click with new teams. We saw it happen first hand with Dougie and Hamonic.
He is a veteran and a journeyman, the last argument shouldn't stand- in my view. Great input:thumbu:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think putting him on a line with Mangiapane and Jankowski isn't helping. He needs bonafide playmakers as he's not a line driver

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Vegas was the first place he didn't have a slow start with a new team in his career for what its worth.
Not denying the fact that he could be a character. Those "unwanted" children were easily directed by him and lately overachieved. Still a great bunch but I am just addressing the Neal part.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think putting him on a line with Mangiapane and Jankowski isn't helping. He needs bonafide playmakers as he's not a line driver

The cynical part of me is amused that we have people that claim Bennett and to a lesser extent Jankowski haven't been put in a position to succeed, but you don't hear that argument for Neal nearly as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad