Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jacob Markstrom (6 years, $6,000,000 AAV)

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
He will single handedly win games for you when outshot 15-40 and being no?business in games despite what numbers tell u. Gonna miss him as Canucks fan and only reason couldn't keep him is because of no cap room.
Our gain and good on Tre to "pounce" at the opportunity.
Markstrom has proven to stand tall, split wide and reach high to catch-stop-deflect-swat pucks away from going in, with mediocre to poor defenses in front of him. And with poor possession teams, after the Sedin twins done, taking more high danger shots.
He will be fine on a weakened Flames defense roster for a while. Once we are solidified on defense again, look out Pacific/Western/NHL.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Nice pick up for you guys. Legit top 10 goalie in his prime.
He's stolen many games for the Canucks when they were getting shelled 40+ shots a night.
He was looking for term that Canucks couldn't afford or we would have kept him.

Congrats and good luck.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think that based on the evidence, suggesting that the Flames, with most of their core in their mid-20s, is 2-3 years away from playing meaningless, rebuilding hockey, is laughable. The statement that they may have to lose some guys from the core in a few years is perfectly valid. The statement that they are headed for a rebuild is absurd.
We're already struggling to make waves in the playoffs as things currently stand with our forward group. If we lose a big name offensive piece in a cap crunch or Brodie situation, we'll most certainly be headed for a rebuild. There's nothing coming up the pipeline.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
In 2018 Smith had a .916, before going down late in the season....injuries happen. In 2016 Hiller sucked, after coming off a great season in 2015 but goaltending definitely wasn't the main reason we failed to make the playoffs. We just shelled out 6x6 for a guy that was replaced and out preformed by a rookie, in the latest edition of the playoffs and I'm not a fan of the signing what so ever.

Sorry Sparky. Don't mean to pour water on your "spark" before it catcjes fire. One vould take your point at face value and agree with you. What I am excited about is how he chose Calgary over Edmonton, and he is excited pug on a Flames jersey. He believes in this team and moving forward. He knows the division well.
I am excited also because he is a percect fit proven handling a team in turmoil, in transition, in defensive disarray in the nets keeping jis team in games they had no business not being blown away before the 3rd period. Demko may have "taken over the net" later season, playoffs for the 'Nucks but without Markstrom competing, standing tall, diving, spralling to save pucks coming from all angles all year, especially before the shutdown, and in 1st playin round. They would not have made it to go on further. It tested Markstrom to build on his personal experience proved he can handle being bombarded game after game by heavy competition and high danger shots and weak defensive, scrambly play. He will be fine in Flames net!

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If we have Markstrom this past playoffs instead of Talbot/Rittich we move past Dallas.

Having a goalie who doesn't let in 1-2 stinkers a night and actually breeds confidence is huge. Literally every time Dallas had a shot you thought it was in. Talbot never looked comfortable. Flames don't blow game 4 or 6 with a competent goalie. Not saying goaltending lost the series, but game 1 both goals were stinkers, game 4 we got behind 3-1 because of a stinker, game 6 statistically we should have allowed 1.5 goals and we allowed 7 and it goes on.

Give me a starter who gives us stability, can sit back there and take a shot without me having a panic attack, can win us games.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We're already struggling to make waves in the playoffs as things currently stand with our forward group. If we lose a big name offensive piece in a cap crunch or Brodie situation, we'll most certainly be headed for a rebuild. There's nothing coming up the pipeline.

We certainly don't have enough in the pipeline to turn over the entire roster, but we do have the pieces coming who can supplant whatever pieces we need to cut away.

Reactions: Fig and Boomstick

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We certainly don't have enough in the pipeline to turn over the entire roster, but we do have the pieces coming who can supplant whatever pieces we need to cut away.
I'm going to disagree here. If one goes, I think they all go in short order like they did in Ottawa and Columbus and even here 7-8 years ago

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
They just missed out on Griess too, so I don't think there's anyone they can sign.
Well with Greiss going that means Varlamov is off the table....I am a little worried that Edmonton is going to get a crap ton for taking Fleury of Vegas’ cap

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I actually think this is risky. I don't think this was a good signing, and would put money on this being a bad deal in a few years.

Big money and term on a goalie in his 30s.

Not sure if he has a NTC, but imagine a down year and you already have to protect Lucic.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The thing people need to understand is goalies have stretches, even seasons of poor play, average play and elite play. 2 seasons ago Rask essentially lost his job to Halak. This season he’s a Vezina finalist and considered a top 3 goalie.

I think Markstrom will be very good for 2/3’s of this contract. Next year might even be his worst year of the deal because it’s a new coach, team and system. The thing is, we locked up an ELITE goalie who can provide us some consistency and not lose us games. This is a huge win, and honestly if this was last offseason, Markstrom would have been getting 8.5 per. 6 million cap hit for a 1A starter is very good and he’s in his prime. I have no complaints with this whatsoever.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm curious if Calgary will let Markstrom take Nieuwendyk's number.
He was a Calder trophy winner, and had a couple of 50 goal seasons here and is a Forever A Flame.

I'd like Markstrom to pick a different number, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Untouchable numbers for me in Calgary that haven't been retired are 2-12-14-34.
Problably a couple others that I'm not remembering like Flames legend Dave Roche and a few others. :P

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I can see Calgary trading Rittich now and acquiring a cheaper back-up to a 2 year deal. Say Craig Anderson at 1M X 2. That would add about 1.8M in cap space. Trade Ryan for a 2021 pick. There's another 3M. Leaves room to acquire a winger.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I'm curious if Calgary will let Markstrom take Nieuwendyk's number.
He was a Calder trophy winner, and had a couple of 50 goal seasons here and is a Forever A Flame.

I'd like Markstrom to pick a different number, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Untouchable numbers for me in Calgary that haven't been retired are 2-12-14-34.
Problably a couple others that I'm not remembering like Flames legend Dave Roche and a few others. :P
I don't have a problem with Markstrom using #25. The number hasn't been retired and I'm not sure it ever will be. It will be good to see it again and hopefully then there will be two special players to have worn it. We can start our own legends of #25 in Calgary.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad