Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jacob Markstrom (6 years, $6,000,000 AAV)

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
He's still a cheap 4th liner, available now. I'd take him over running Rinaldo full time.
He could Shore up that line in the Nick of time for the new season.

49c6b26212b705c03fd958f1325df29c.jpg

Why have I not been asked to leave this site is still unknown to me.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Friedman said that the Oilers were sure they gonna sign him. Offered 5-5.5x7

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Friedman said that the Oilers were sure they gonna sign him. Offered 5-5.5x7

What a complete lack of self awareness that organization has. It's unbelievable.

Do they think all the available goalies live under rocks and don't have access to NHL highlights and are unable to see how that team plays defense? Yeah their two stars can score a crap ton of points, but even they only know how to play offense and completely check out on the defensive side of things. How would THAT ever be appealing to an NHL free agent goalie??

For cripes sake they've been the subject of about a bazillion "this guy scored" memes for the better part of 10-15 years now. No goalie that isn't completely desperate would ever willingly go there to play behind that team. The last good goalie they got was traded for, and it took a couple seasons but they F-ing near broke him too. Luckily he was able to get away before it was too late and surprise, surprise, he bounced back and was pretty good again. (Talbot)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Man I love this goalie's focus and preparation. You can tell he takes his craft extremely seriously and is a great competitor. Was a big fan before he got here and the initial results have been even better than I thought. So many goalies have come through here with a "Well, guess I'll play goal if that's what they want" attitude.

Really think that barring serious injury this deal has the potential to be among the best UFA signings in franchise history.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I'm a die hard Leafs Fan/Canuck hater who lives in Vancouver. I'm so fired up that the Canucks lost Marky this year lol. Anyone who watched any Canuck game the last 2 years would know he was by far their MVP. Why they let Tanev and Marky go, and replace their AAV's with the same cap hit in Holtby and Schmidt is beyond me. Marky is truly is a Vezina level tendy. I was really hoping the Leafs could swing a deal to move on from Andersen to get Marky. 6x6 is a great deal for a goalie of his caliber. Happy to see you guys finally got some stability in the cage. And even happier to see the Canucks drowning, because they got some good pieces too, had me scared for a bit lol.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Man I love this goalie's focus and preparation. You can tell he takes his craft extremely seriously and is a great competitor. Was a big fan before he got here and the initial results have been even better than I thought. So many goalies have come through here with a "Well, guess I'll play goal if that's what they want" attitude.

Really think that barring serious injury this deal has the potential to be among the best UFA signings in franchise history.

Canuck fan coming in peace.

Nailed it. His focus, preparation and compete are high and are a big part of his success.

Keeping in mind he was a once a highly touted prospect that wasnt developed properly and rushed into the NHL by the Panthers. He really struggled at the NHL level, and was looking like a bust that wouldn’t ever put it together in that bigs.

When he was traded to the Nucks rebuilt his game in the minors, and once he came back to the NHL he never really looked back.

Marky had to work HARD to turn his career around, I think this experience taught him how hard he has to commit and work day in day out to succeed at this level.

The difference between good and great goalies is consistency. Marky gives you a chance to win night in and night out. He’s been top 5 in the league for a few years now.

You guys got a great one!

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Waste of a signing.for this hopeless team with a stupid coach

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
At this rate, he will be burned out by season end and we'll end up with another bad contract.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
He has looked awesome this year. It’s a shame that we are wasting so many great performances from him. Contract might not hold up for 6 years, especially if he sees 40 shots a night, but for now it’s nice to have an all star caliber goalie in between the pipes.

Instead of hemorrhaging scoring chances because of poor defensive play, maybe we could push the offensive play and give a few scoring chances because of that?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Very cool with the amazing play from Markström, perfect for our national team as well when trying to defeat Canada. :sarcasm:

Following a Swedish tradition in Calgary. Kent Nilsson, Håkan Loob, Michael Nylander, Zeb Lindholm, Backlund

I probably missed some and I am not sure who you rank first among these, perhaps tight between Kent "Magic Man" Nilsson and Loob? (For me it is Loob, he was a born sniper, leader and winner, Nilsson super skilled though.)

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Very cool with the amazing play from Markström, perfect for our national team as well when trying to defeat Canada. :sarcasm:

Following a Swedish tradition in Calgary. Kent Nilsson, Håkan Loob, Michael Nylander, Zeb Lindholm, Bäckström, Backlund

I probably missed some and I am not sure who you rank first among these, perhaps tight between Kent "Magic Man" Nilsson and Loob? (For me it is Loob, he was a born sniper and winner, Nilsson super skilled though.)
Hakan Loob is my favorite past or present Swede. I watched him play his whole career. Was sorry to see him retire... too early as far as I was concerned.

Reactions: Seiza and 21

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Following a Swedish tradition in Calgary. Kent Nilsson, Håkan Loob, Michael Nylander, Zeb Lindholm, Bäckström, Backlund

I probably missed some and I am not sure who you rank first among these, perhaps tight between Kent "Magic Man" Nilsson and Loob? (For me it is Loob, he was a born sniper, leader and winner, Nilsson super skilled though.)
Stat watchers will argue with me, but having been around when both of those guys were playing in Calgary, I can say without hesitation it's Loob.

Kent Nilsson earned the nickname "magic man" not only because of what he could do with the puck, but also because he could completely disappear without a trace during important games.

Reactions: 21

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
3 seasons and this contract looks like total garbage. Markstrom was bad in year 1, awesome in year 2, and borderline Hiller level this season.

Looking like buyout fodder soon enough.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
3 seasons and this contract looks like total garbage. Markstrom was bad in year 1, awesome in year 2, and borderline Hiller level this season.

Looking like buyout fodder soon enough.
Markstrom wasn’t bad in year 1, he was injured. He had a save percentage above .920 before that collision in the Vancouver game that caused him to miss time, and he was arguably our team MVP up to that point. He was then rushed back and overplayed because that’s our managements style. Then following his first 4 day break without a game after he came back, he played the rest of the season above .920 again.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Markstrom wasn’t bad in year 1, he was injured. He had a save percentage above .920 before that collision in the Vancouver game that caused him to miss time, and he was arguably our team MVP up to that point. He was then rushed back and overplayed because that’s our managements style. Then following his first 4 day break without a game after he came back, he played the rest of the season above .920 again.

His overall play was bad. Out of worldly first 6-7 games, horrible middle half, and alright ending from what I remember. Notwithstanding being rushed back, his sv% over the season was no better than rittich’s.

Anyways, this season can’t be attributed to any of that. Guy flat out stunk and there was 0 excuse:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
His overall play was bad. Out of worldly first 6-7 games, horrible middle half, and alright ending from what I remember. Notwithstanding being rushed back, his sv% over the season was no better than rittich’s.

Anyways, this season can’t be attributed to any of that. Guy flat out stunk and there was 0 excuse:
I’ll help jog your memory. Out of worldy 15 games (a third of his season). Injured then rushed back and played bad for 13 games. Then would finally get 4 days rest to recover. After that immediately came back with a shut out and would put up other worldy numbers for the remaining 15 games again. Spent two thirds of his season playing at a .920 or better rate, with the mid portion sewering his over all stats by us playing him through what was rumored to be concussion issues.

This season was bad, but it was also a season where a lot of our roster had bad seasons. It’s just as likely he bounces back to his normal, healthy level he’s shown us next season.

Edit: So I fact checked myself because frankly I’m getting tired of a lot of the misinformation going around, and I was a little off. His first 15 game stretch was actually only .918, and the second stretch was .917 so a bit under what I claimed. The reason it stuck out so much in my brain though was because of how much he was putting the team on his back those stretches. The team got .868 goaltending during the first stretch without him, and .870 goaltending in the final stretch without him. Our team was so bad that season, yet somehow Markstrom managed a goals against average of 2.00 even during those final 15 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
A supercut of every goal the Flames allowed this season would be way less flattering for the skaters than the goalies. His contract is far from a crisis as long as he continues to show the ability to make just about all of the saves he is supposed to make along with several big saves. If he starts leaking a bunch of bad goals I'll start being concerned.

Huge difference between the types of chances the team allowed from last season to this season and both goalies were victimized by it. Hopefully they flip the switch the other way next year, because that's what this team loves to do.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If he could just stop the 1st shot of the game then we will be fine. I'm not worried about our goaltending going forward with Wolf in the shadows. We need elite forwards in the worst way and an upgrade on Hanifin.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Can we try a new goalie coach before we just crap on the guy? Markstrom had been one of the better ones since Kipper. We're a goalie grave yard. Even Rittich crashed. Talbot, Smith... Who else succeed after the Flames? How many goalies do we need as examples?

Goalie coach please!!! Ian Clark from Vancouver please!!!

Reactions: Bert Mckrakken

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad