Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jacob Markstrom (6 years, $6,000,000 AAV)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I can see Calgary trading Rittich now and acquiring a cheaper back-up to a 2 year deal. Say Craig Anderson at 1M X 2. That would add about 1.8M in cap space. Trade Ryan for a 2021 pick. There's another 3M. Leaves room to acquire a winger.
After listening to the Treliving interview on Fan960 yesterday it sure sounds like Treliving, if he has his way, isn't finished yet. For sure he wants another RD d-man and I got the impression that the goalie situation, with regards to Rittich, could change.
I expect him to find another NHL experienced RD d-man (3rd liner) before the season begins and I believe he's trying to move some salary out in order to improve the right side of our offense. If he can shed some salary I can see RW Toffoli being in his sights. He definitely has to dump salary though, to make this happen. That may be easier said than done.

Reactions: Nanuuk

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Trading Rittich might honestly be what’s best for his future at this point. In adding Markstrom, Rittich is very much the backup now. He also won’t really have the opportunity to outplay Markstrom either.

I don’t want to move Rittich, but him being on a team that’s more of a 1A/1B situation gives him more of a chance to show he could still be a starter.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
After listening to the Treliving interview on Fan960 yesterday it sure sounds like Treliving, if he has his way, isn't finished yet. For sure he wants another RD d-man and I got the impression that the goalie situation, with regards to Rittich, could change.
I expect him to find another NHL experienced RD d-man (3rd liner) before the season begins and I believe he's trying to move some salary out in order to improve the right side of our offense. If he can shed some salary I can see RW Toffoli being in his sights. He definitely has to dump salary though, to make this happen. That may be easier said than done.
I think the Flames will re-sign Stone to another 700K one year deal. He knows his role and doesn't complain about the press box. Know the team and as far as I know his mates like him. I am not sure if Hammy will sign anywhere. By all accounts he has legitimate Covid concerns for his daughter (respiratory issues) and he has a baby boy at home. he has career earnings in the 29M range. Family comes first and he's the type of guy that would go out and find work if he had to.

I'd be ok with Toffoli if there wasn't an overpay. He isn't the fastest guy (that's ok because neither is Monahan), but if he can put the puck in the net we'd be further ahead.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Trading Rittich might honestly be what’s best for his future at this point. In adding Markstrom, Rittich is very much the backup now. He also won’t really have the opportunity to outplay Markstrom either.

I don’t want to move Rittich, but him being on a team that’s more of a 1A/1B situation gives him more of a chance to show he could still be a starter.

This league is such a 1-2 league now for goalies. Teams have mostly learned you can’t play guys 65+ times a year and hope they can carry that level of play for the additional playoff grind.

Big Dick can be our 1B. He will still see 25-30 games and has a chance to show off his goods for a big contract next summer.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
For the money and term...I can move on without Markstrom as we have Demko waiting in the wings and the expansion draft is next year.

But damn. This sucks. I hate the Flames. I really do. And now, the Canucks' MVP goalie is theirs. That pisses me off immensely.

All joking and banter aside, Markstrom is the only reason the Canucks have been in the playoff conversation the last two seasons. You hear a lot about Pettersson and Hughes around the boards here, but without Marky you can instantly take ten wins off the Canucks' record the last two seasons. Right there, gone. I can't count how many GDTs there were in the Canucks board where you kept seeing stuff like: "WOW amazing save! Can't believe the game's not over!" or: "Holy shit, how are the Canucks still in this game?!" Happened all the time. I understand the business is what it is, and seeing as how we have a f***ing gorilla for a gm who can't do basic math, sacrifices have to be made. But it still sucks to see him go.

Bye, Marky. Was fun while it lasted.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Brandon Bollig also wore #25. The number pretty much holds no significance to the organization even if it was honoured

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I think the Flames will re-sign Stone to another 700K one year deal.

824e6cc6c1ecf4241f5f85e67004d900.gif

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
When was the last time a Scandinavian goolie won the cup ?

Never, depending on your definition of Scandinavia. But that doesn't mean anything. No team has won with a finnish 1C either, but I'd take Barkov to this team any day

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Brandon Bollig also wore #25. The number pretty much holds no significance to the organization even if it was honoured

I want to say that Steve Begin was wearing that number when he scored the franchise's biggest all-time goal to complete the comeback in Dallas and move us up into 27th place back in 2013.... but I'm not 100% certain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad