GDT: Flames @ Sharktank 7pm Pacific (8pm MT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm glad that the team who was first it in the west last year is suddenly a trash team after 6 games. Not like they're a team notorious for slow starts or anything. Also enjoyable that it's mostly the same three people who aren't here in the offseason hopping in to say how much the Flames suck. Like damn y'all, have some faith maybe? There's sloppy play in game 6 and suddenly we're absolutely ****? Figure it out y'all.

On the other hand, except for a couple good months last year, it's the team that had trouble making the playoff, trouble scoring other than 1 guy. And worst of all, humiliated in the playoff and no room for improvement, no depth in the system, young guys are getting worse not better, etc...

Just saying, there are two sides on every coin. Which side are the Flames on? There are valid arguments for both sides but the dark side is winning now.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
This was actually one of our better games of the season:
1. We didn't get out-shot
2. Even their sustained pressure was always kept to the outside, they never really had many grade A chances from the slot like we've given up in the other games this season.

1st goal was a lucky bounce and the other 2 were from 2 on 1s coming off defensive lapses. If we had better execution the result would've been different.
If we play like we did last night for the rest of the season, we'll have a lot more wins than losses.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
This was actually one of our better games of the season:
1. We didn't get out-shot
2. Even their sustained pressure was always kept to the outside, they never really had many grade A chances from the slot like we've given up in the other games this season.

1st goal was a lucky bounce and the other 2 were from 2 on 1s coming off defensive lapses. If we had better execution the result would've been different.
If we play like we did last night for the rest of the season, we'll have a lot more wins than losses.

Take your calm, logical and calculated thinking and LEAVE

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think this was a better effort.

One thing that's come up 6 games into this young season is our transition game looks horrible. I don't know what's going on but we're constantly dumping and chasing without actually getting to the puck, and just consistently giving it away at the line because the Flames are unable to enter the zone with speed.

It also seems like Gaudreau is trying to carry the puck less? Not sure what that's all about but I'd prefer him to go back to being he primary puck carrier.

Also tell me if you see anything wrong with this table. The Flames as a whole have had a bad/mediocre start but one pairing in particular is killing us.

PairingCF%FF%xGF%GF%SCF% HDCF%
Gio-Brodie57.656.856.3100% 55.9 52.3
Hanifin-Hamonic45.140.434.315.1 39.6 47.4
Kylington-Andersson51.058.962.531.6 52.5 55.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The sad part is I agree that Hanifin looks more assertive this year but that pairing (Hamonic in particular) is getting destroyed 5v5. I think a huge reason why is they're seemingly unable to defend zone entries (again mainly Hamonic) when you let guys waltz into the zone with the puck without a challenge you're going to hurt for it.

Also Kylington >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stone

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

One thing that's come up 6 games into this young season is our transition game looks horrible. I don't know what's going on but we're constantly dumping and chasing without actually getting to the puck, and just consistently giving it away at the line because the Flames are unable to enter the zone with speed.

It also seems like Gaudreau is trying to carry the puck less? Not sure what that's all about but I'd prefer him to go back to being he primary puck carrier.

Also tell me if you see anything wrong with this table. The Flames as a whole have had a bad/mediocre start but one pairing in particular is killing us.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The sad part is I agree that Hanifin looks more assertive this year but that pairing (Hamonic in particular) is getting destroyed 5v5. I think a huge reason why is they're seemingly unable to defend zone entries (again mainly Hamonic) when you let guys waltz into the zone with the puck without a challenge you're going to hurt for it.

Was called the biggest idiot on the planet on reddit last night for saying we should split Hanifin-Hamonic up lol. This has been the same story in the post-season and the pre-season and the regular season now. They've been brutal, and both the fancy stats and simple counting stats show that.

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andy
Kylington-Hammer

Think this is the best way to go about at this point.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I really hope they dump Hamonic, as his style of play won't age well and he's already regressing. I've been saying it since last season to.. the defense as a whole does tons of collapsing and letting the opposition get zone easily, but every other team will stand up at the line.

Reactions: Dack

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I really hope they dump Hamonic, as his style of play won't age well and he's already regressing. I've been saying it since last season to.. the defense as a whole does tons of collapsing and letting the opposition get zone easily, but every other team will stand up at the line.

Yeah, his idea of playing defense is backing off to block shot....he is becoming a poor man Kris Russell.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

I think the issue is specific to hammer. At least last year, gio, Brodie, and Hanifin were all solid at preventing zone entry. Hammer was, by far, our worst dman in that regard. His puck transntion also leaves a lot to be desired.

In all honesty, what is he good at? Physicality? Because he was 4th on team defense in hits last year and has all of 2 in our first 6 games this season. He has the most blocked shots... but that isn’t necessarily a good sign either cough cough kris russell (and he’s still a -4 with those blocked shots).

He’s the first piece I trade on defense if we are out at the deadline. It’s too bad we blew a lotto pick on a dman that has been mediocre for 2/3 seasons with the team.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I am sure Hamonic will get re-signed as the Flames have no right d-men. Flames have Gio, Vali, Hanifin, Kylington on the left and Brodie who also shoots left but plays right. Only other RHD is Rasmus and God Forbid we keep Stone again.

The contract will be a mistake the second it is signed just like Stone's 3 year contract was.

Hanifin desperately needs to play away with him, he is getting dragged down hard.

Reactions: super6646

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I am sure Hamonic will get re-signed as the Flames have no right d-men. Flames have Gio, Vali, Hanifin, Kylington on the left and Brodie who also shoots left but plays right. Only other RHD is Rasmus and God Forbid we keep Stone again.

The contract will be a mistake the second it is signed just like Stone's 3 year contract was.

Hanifin desperately needs to play away with him, he is getting dragged down hard.
I think that's where Yelesin comes in. If he can be a steady 3rd pairing guy (which I mean he should, since apparently he was a beast in the K), then Treliving should have no qualms about letting Hamonic walk.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Hopefully BT learned some UFA lesson.

Honestly 2M is too much for Hamonic at this point.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Was called the biggest idiot on the planet on reddit last night for saying we should split Hanifin-Hamonic up lol. This has been the same story in the post-season and the pre-season and the regular season now. They've been brutal, and both the fancy stats and simple counting stats show that.

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andy
Kylington-Hammer

Think this is the best way to go about at this point.

If Hanifin is paired with Andersson it is unlikely that he is able to play the style he is now. He will have to be covering for all the Andersson terrible decisions and lack of defense. I know people like to crap on Hamonic because he isn't young or flashy but his solid defense allows Hanifin to be more assertive.

Pairing Hanifin with Andersson means Hanifin has to be the primary defender and offensive puck mover on the pair and I am not sure he is ready for that at this point.

Its too bad that we have so many good LHS D Gio, Hanifin, Valimaki. If only one of those guys was a righty it would make things much easier going forward.

Until Andersson learns how to play defense (doubtful) or cuts down on the Wideman-esque brainfarts it doesn't make sense to have him playing anywhere than sheltered 3rd pairing minutes or sheltered minutes carried by Gio, which isn't ideal as it limits Gio's usage.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If Hanifin is paired with Andersson it is unlikely that he is able to play the style he is now. He will have to be covering for all the Andersson terrible decisions and lack of defense. I know people like to crap on Hamonic because he isn't young or flashy but his solid defense allows Hanifin to be more assertive.

Pairing Hanifin with Andersson means Hanifin has to be the primary defender and offensive puck mover on the pair and I am not sure he is ready for that at this point.

Its too bad that we have so many good LHS D Gio, Hanifin, Valimaki. If only one of those guys was a righty it would make things much easier going forward.

Until Andersson learns how to play defense (doubtful) or cuts down on the Wideman-esque brainfarts it doesn't make sense to have him playing anywhere than sheltered 3rd pairing minutes or sheltered minutes carried by Gio, which isn't ideal as it limits Gio's usage.

I think you are underestimating Andy. More importantly, the flames cannot keep trotting out a second pair that is consistently a liability on most nights. Hamonic’s “defensive acumen” has been sorely disappointing as of late, and it just isn’t good enough at this point (like screening your own goalie trying to block shots). First and third pair have been switched around consistently (even though they’ve been fine), while our second pair continues to flounder. Sooner or later, something has to give.

I also find it interesting Toronto asked for Brodie over the summer instead of hammer (who is a natural rhs). Pretty sure that was intentional on the part of dubas.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Andersson and Brodie have both earned spots in the top 4 on the right side, while Hamonic hasn't. The lineup should reflect that even just for one game. Make players earn their spot.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Andersson and Brodie have both earned spots in the top 4 on the right side, while Hamonic hasn't. The lineup should reflect that even just for one game. Make players earn their spot.

Peters got the memo in game 5 of the post-season by cutting the second pair’s icetime. However, now they are munching as many minutes as our top pair and failing miserably at it. Hanifin-Hamonic was pretty solid for the regular season last year, but the magic is gone rn. Hope peters makes a change soon for the benefit of Hanifin.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think you are underestimating Andy. More importantly, the flames cannot keep trotting out a second pair that is consistently a liability on most nights. Hamonic’s “defensive acumen” has been sorely disappointing as of late, and it just isn’t good enough at this point (like screening your own goalie trying to block shots). First and third pair have been switched around consistently (even though they’ve been fine), while our second pair continues to flounder. Sooner or later, something has to give.

I also find it interesting Toronto asked for Brodie over the summer instead of hammer (who is a natural rhs). Pretty sure that was intentional on the part of dubas.

I may be underestimating Andersson, although I have not been as impressed with him as others and I do think he gets a bit overrated because fans are so excited to potentially have a young guy be a top 4 (or even top pairng in some people's eyes which is insane.)

I do agree that we need to change something. I am not a big fan of Kylington but I think giving him a run makes sense at this point. Especially with the lack of scoring from the bottom 6 his high risk, potential high reward when it comes to creating offense is needed. We know what we have in Stone and it is low ceiling, mediocre floor, he is a 6/7 that doesn't kill you but doesn't do much to improve the team either. Now is the time to see if Kylington can hang in the NHL or not.

In that same mode I would rather have Hamonic there to stay back and let Kylington do whatever it is he does. So at the same time trying an Andersson-Hanifin pair would make sense as well. As much as Oiler fans have us pegged as the guaranteed 32nd place team in the league this year I think our play-off spot is fairly safe so might as well try to work on some of these things now when we are struggling anyways then hope it all magically works itself out by the play-offs.

Edit: I think TO was asking for Brodie because they see him as a better chance to re-sign and because they have Hamonic already in Muzzin. Although that would be interesting to see how that played out as Babcock seems even more militant about the LHS/RHS thing than Peters even though with Brodie it is a stupid policy since he has repeatedly said he prefers the right side and played there more.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Peters got the memo in game 5 of the post-season by cutting the second pair’s icetime. However, now they are munching as many minutes as our top pair and failing miserably at it. Hanifin-Hamonic was pretty solid for the regular season last year, but the magic is gone rn. Hope peters makes a change soon for the benefit of Hanifin.
We have a strong enough d-core that we can take a risk, especially while struggling, and demote a player and give a young guy we've already trusted on the top pair an extended look. If it doesn't go well then we're kinda stuck for a bit, but us getting a great pairing is a risk we have to tank. We can't just sit back and not try things. NHL teams don't get anywhere by being complacent.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

If you're going to have these types of opinions, at least consider trying to send him to Winnipeg for Roslovic rather than hint that he should be dumped for nothing.

my 2 cents.

Some of how the game is played this season is weird though. Like Peters tweaked the system or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad