GDT: Flames @ Panthers: Matinee Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I still think he wants out. Just would duck to see him leave when hes paired with Ekblad.

Yes, IMO he looks so disinterested in playing. He doesnt have that same drive he had few years ago. Maybe he doesnt even want out of Florida just out of hockey but can't quit because the $$$

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
Having watched him, I'm not disagreeing--when he was on, you got glimpses of something close to Kovalev (he just owned the puck). But, when you look at his peak years as an analog for where Barkov might project, acknowledging the need for supporting (better) players is important.

Yes it was nearly impossible to take the puck away from kozlov in the o zone and on the boards he was a monster with regards to puck possession but no Bure is coming here or being drafted by us for Barkov to shine. We drafted him number 2 to elevate others game and not so much the other way around. The number 1 or 2 pick is supposed to be a player you build around and makes average goal scorers into very good goal scorers or he himself be a great goal scorer one day. I am looking for a lot more from Barkov than simply being a Viktor Kozlov waiting for a Pavel Bure to come to the team and then showing what he's got.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Flash was a top 6 forward. Actually, so is Jokinen. Those two and Boyes can be 2nd line material for sure.

Agreed about Bolland.

Qualified, they all can be when surrounded with more talented players: Staal, Malkin, Crosby in Jokinen's case. Flash has played everything from 1st to 3rd line, but is better suited in the latter role, IMO. Boyes is in-between, like I said, ahead of the other two, but better used when he's not expected to be the best guy in a top 6. When you throw them in to support Huby or Sasha, you are more or less expecting the young guys to be the fulcrum of those lines and, yeah, they are falling short of that role. It's where I think comparisons to a younger version of Kozlov are more appropriate than Kopitar or whoever we imagine Huby might emulate.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Yes it was nearly impossible to take the puck away from kozlov in the o zone and on the boards he was a monster with regards to puck possession but no Bure is coming here or being drafted by us for Barkov to shine. We drafted him number 2 to elevate others game and not so much the other way around. The number 1 or 2 pick is supposed to be a player you build around and makes average goal scorers into very good goal scorers or he himself be a great goal scorer one day. I am looking for a lot more from Barkov than simply being a Viktor Kozlov waiting for a Pavel Bure to come to the team and then showing what he's got.

I agree on the expectations. Just don't see it working out well without someone even better than Bergenheim or Boyes (no slight on them really). I'm more down about Huby, as he was expected to become that player (haven't seen much from him since Mueller left).

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I agree on the expectations. Just don't see it working out well without someone even better than Bergenheim or Boyes (no slight on them really). I'm more down about Huby, as he was expected to become that player (haven't seen much from him since Mueller left).

Is this the same scheme Gallant ran in juniors?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Bring back Mueller and bring up Shore! The chemistry between those three was great in the shortened season. Only real highlight from the season tbh.

I think jrockett1096 mentioned in another thread about how Barkov and Hubs can only play well with certain players.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I like how Calgary's young players are producing despite a veteran core that isn't that great.

But we still have fans on here who get offended every time someone points out that our young guys aren't producing jack ****.

See? Young guys around the league don't exactly need Sidney Crosby on their line to produce. And, shocker, these teams are getting better because their young players are getting better!

Our team, on the other hand, continues to be mediocre because the young players who put on this franchise's jersey don't believe in getting better. They either stay the same or become worse. Fortunately, we don't have a terrible record yet this year because our real franchise player is a 35-year-old goalie who can still play at an elite level.

This is the most alarming thing. Rarely does any youth ever actually contribute for us down here. Only the odd-balls like David Booth seem to have succesful seasons. But Horton, Bouwmeester and Weiss were no pushovers down here while they developed. Horton hit 60 points, Weiss was consistently at 40-50 and Bouwmeester also had two consecutive seasons of 15 goals.

The core right now just isn't getting done. Like I said, Barkov looks lost and oh so timid. Huberdeau I don't even know. At least Trocheck and Grimaldi have looked solid, along with Shore when he's played with the big club, but everyone struggles to put the puck in the net.

I see everyone else's youth taking leaps and bounds and ours stay stagnant. Carolina has Lindholm, Calgary has Monahan and Geaudreau and many other teams have seen their kids come in and perform.

It's tough to watch it happen over and over.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Bad teams lose games like this. We are, as of now, a bad team.

I think our defense is starting to come back down to earth and our offense may be picking it up. Unfortunately today was an awful display.

Campbell really is a shadow of his former self. We can almost put a lock on him getting beaten once a game for a goal against.

This roster needs a trade. None of our kids are getting anything done except for Bjugstad. I knew the scoring would come for him eventually because he was still creating chances and shooting often. Huberdeau even looked better today, along with Trocheck and Grimaldi, but Barkov was once again invisible. I don't even remember hearing his name today.

I'll leave it at that because I don't want to get attacked for calling out our young players again. It's concerning to say the least though that our "franchise center" is looking far from it right now. I hope he turns it around soon or we are in trouble.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=92028643#post92028643

I'm more sure than you that the same people who are panicking now are telling later on: "I knew they would start scoring eventually! It was only a matter when they started to capitalize on their chances."

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
I still think he wants out. Just would suck to see him leave when hes paired with Ekblad.

It would be a blessing in disguise for Ekkers, Campbell is holding him back so much. He must be the easiest defender to play against as a forward; he's slow and incredibly weak. He gives away so much space on the ice because he's beaten to pucks even with a head start, cant keep up with players when they have to puck, and looses any physical battle on the ice. Honestly, if he were to be traded to any other team, they'd have him playing 12 minutes a game. His reputation as a "smooth skating defensemen" is the only thing keeping him relevant. And no dont say im saying this after 1 bad game, its been my stance from the beginning of last season.

Put Aaron with any other D-man on the team and watch him get even better.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't be against Barkov going to the minors. I think a lot of people are afraid he'll go to the minors and get out-performed and will never come back up ever again....he needs to get an offensive flow going and I think that would do wonders for him. I doubt that happens though.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Wow. Just finished watching it. Al Markstrom was a beauty today. You can blame the refs, you can blame the time the game was, you can even blame Flash if you want, but Montoya **** the bed along with our PP.

Whos #11 and #16 again?

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Wow. Just finished watching it. Al Markstrom was a beauty today. You can blame the refs, you can blame the time the game was, you can even blame Flash if you want, but Montoya **** the bed along with our PP.

Whos #11 and #16 again?

#11 was good today actually

had a disallowed goal, a ridiculous set up that ended up in a post, etc

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
It would be a blessing in disguise for Ekkers, Campbell is holding him back so much. He must be the easiest defender to play against as a forward; he's slow and incredibly weak. He gives away so much space on the ice because he's beaten to pucks even with a head start, cant keep up with players when they have to puck, and looses any physical battle on the ice. Honestly, if he were to be traded to any other team, they'd have him playing 12 minutes a game. His reputation as a "smooth skating defensemen" is the only thing keeping him relevant. And no dont say im saying this after 1 bad game, its been my stance from the beginning of last season.

Put Aaron with any other D-man on the team and watch him get even better.

I agree that this was Campbell's worse game in a long long time. He was incredibly weak and played very soft on players in front of the net but I think your going overboard. 12 minutes a game on any other team? Come on. He has lost a couple of steps since first signing here and I wouldn't even regard him anymore as an offensive defenseman because it looks like he has ceased to be one anymore but he is generally speaking responsible on the defensive end and usually makes good plays with his stick and is positioned well most of the time. In this game he was just not competing in the front of the net and he got burned. Also if Montoya was better maybe Campbell gets bailed out and we are not even talking about this right now. I'm more cocerned with Kulikov's injury and our offense. I know we scored 4 goals but 3 of them were lucky and our lottery picks are playing invisible hockey.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
#11 was good today actually

had a disallowed goal, a ridiculous set up that ended up in a post, etc

If that's considered good, trade #11 while value is high. I've never seen someone piss so many chances away in my life. Does he not have a shooting bone in his hockey body?

The more I watch, the more I'm forced to take a good look at the "future." Bjugs is making progress, Kuli, Gudy, Ek, hell even Pirri. #11 and #16 are making me "scratch" my head. "Scratch" my head hard(no not that head). If you don't get what I'm getting at... SCRATCH them.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
If that's considered good, trade #11 while value is high. I've never seen someone piss so many chances away in my life. Does he not have a shooting bone in his hockey body?

The more I watch, the more I'm forced to take a good look at the "future." Bjugs is making progress, Kuli, Gudy, Ek, hell even Pirri. #11 and #16 are making me "scratch" my head. "Scratch" my head hard(no not that head). If you don't get what I'm getting at... SCRATCH them.

Ok the scratching part or your post was weird but your right about Huby not shooting or Barkov. I have never seen players so timid about shooting from any distance in my life. Barkov has a great wrist shot and he doesn't look to use it ever. Huby knows his shot sucks and he just looks for rebounds and tap ins now exclusively. Even Potvin called him out today for not shooting when he had the lane to do it. God how I wish a little of Pirri would rub off on these guys.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Ok the scratching part or your post was weird but your right about Huby not shooting or Barkov. I have never seen players so timid about shooting from any distance in my life. Barkov has a great wrist shot and he doesn't look to use it ever. Huby knows his shot sucks and he just looks for rebounds and tap ins now exclusively. Even Potvin called him out today for not shooting when he had the lane to do it. God how I wish a little of Pirri would rub off on these guys.

Make them stay after practice to work on the shooting..... Say to yourself im not leaving the rink before ive made 100 top cheese goals on both sides and go from there!

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
I got Calgarys feed which wasn't bad. Kelly Hrudey was straight down the middle. Although anybody, other than Potvin, will praise our kids no matter how bad or good they do.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Wonderful point you proved.

The team scored tonight, sure, but they gave up 6. So what actually "gave"? The fact that we still scored less than the opposition? If we score 4 goals each night for the next 3 games, then we can talk. More likely, the team scores 2 tops.

Ok, I see. So now the defense sucks. Should we trade for defense or offense coz I can't tell what is it this time? Ain't it a wonderful point that the reasons for complaining vary from game to game...

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Boy I really hope by January we are all laughing with another about doubting Barkov.

He needs to find his offensive mojo

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Ok, I see. So now the defense sucks. Should we trade for defense or offense coz I can't tell what is it this time? Ain't it a wonderful point that the reasons for complaining vary from game to game...

Did I say the defense sucked? You're grasping at straws here bud.

The team scored some more but couldn't keep the opposition from scoring.What's the point if you're never going to score more goals than the other team? It's clear this team has glaring issues throughout the entire roster. How you can't see that is beyond me. :help:

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
Disagree. No good team plays an 18 y/o as their #1 center no matter what the other options are. Maybe they can handle it, maybe not, but I don't think there is any question they would be better off in a smaller role.

I thought with Bolland's Stanley cup leadership and high character he would help youngsters like Barkov in there development and take some pressure off. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad