GDT: Flames @ Panthers: Matinee Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
First game I went to this year. Man the in-arena stuff needs help. Do we really need dancing movie/cartoon characters during every goal? Not a fan of the song either. Nothing works like the Hey Song. Lots of mediocre, including advertising for the game from last week.

Think we got screwed pretty bad, between the Montoya take out and the straight embellishment with 90 seconds left in a one goal game (never seen that). Still, Montoya was bad and we should have scored 10 on Ramo.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think we aren't a bad team. We get no puck luck, no health luck, and negative ref luck.

If Bergenheim and Pirri are in, and Gallant doesn't stick his head back in his arse with this Jokinen/Barkov nonsense, and Lu was in, Kulikov doesn't go down, and the right calls were made, the couple gaffes don't cost us a point or two.

I'd still love to see Vinny and Rocco with Bjugs...

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Fwiw I think huberdeau had a good game.

As for the question Erick posed about why our prospects don't pan out like other teams I still believe it is the incosistency in work ethic this team brings on a nighly basis. We have been through what seems like 10 coaches in the last 10 years and not a single one was able to inspire a team with a work ethic that would out work the opposing team at least 75% of the season.

The lack of work ethic and accountability in results is evident in this organization from front office, to back office, to locker room.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I thought with Bolland's Stanley cup leadership and high character he would help youngsters like Barkov in there development and take some pressure off. :)

Who's this Bolland you talk about? :laugh:

Bolland going down the classical Panthers injury procedure.

Nothing serious "Day-To-Day"
Back next week
Unknown injury
Back next season

Is there really any info what his injury in fact is thats keeping him out already for a month?

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
Fwiw I think huberdeau had a good game.

As for the question Erick posed about why our prospects don't pan out like other teams I still believe it is the incosistency in work ethic this team brings on a nighly basis. We have been through what seems like 10 coaches in the last 10 years and not a single one was able to inspire a team with a work ethic that would out work the opposing team at least 75% of the season.

The lack of work ethic and accountability in results is evident in this organization from front office, to back office, to locker room.

The players we have had in those 10 years have to motivate themselves and compete and its not all on the coaches.

Accountability is what we are doing right now here as fans. We are holding Barkov, Huby, Bjugstad accountable as the supposed best players on the team to lead it or at least be a major factor and right now its far from that. I know it sucks that they are very young and its a lot to put on the shoulders of players that young but they are professional players in the NHL and playing on top lines here.

Me personally if I was the Gallant and Kulikov hadn't got hurt and miss next game I'd bench Campbell for that performance he had today. How's that for accountability?

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami

Back next week
Unknown injury
Back next season

Is there really any info what his injury in fact is thats keeping him out already for a month?

You failed to mention early retirement or goes AWOL and never reports back. Kilger style.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
It would be a blessing in disguise for Ekkers, Campbell is holding him back so much. He must be the easiest defender to play against as a forward; he's slow and incredibly weak. He gives away so much space on the ice because he's beaten to pucks even with a head start, cant keep up with players when they have to puck, and looses any physical battle on the ice. Honestly, if he were to be traded to any other team, they'd have him playing 12 minutes a game. His reputation as a "smooth skating defensemen" is the only thing keeping him relevant. And no dont say im saying this after 1 bad game, its been my stance from the beginning of last season.

Put Aaron with any other D-man on the team and watch him get even better.
Couldn't agree more, Aaron is exceeding all expectations, but he could be even better without Campbell playing soft/intimidated, shooting soft on PP, playing slow and constantly putting everyone offside/killing momentum.

I agree that this was Campbell's worse game in a long long time. He was incredibly weak and played very soft on players in front of the net but I think your going overboard. 12 minutes a game on any other team? Come on. He has lost a couple of steps since first signing here and I wouldn't even regard him anymore as an offensive defenseman because it looks like he has ceased to be one anymore but he is generally speaking responsible on the defensive end and usually makes good plays with his stick and is positioned well most of the time. In this game he was just not competing in the front of the net and he got burned. Also if Montoya was better maybe Campbell gets bailed out and we are not even talking about this right now. I'm more cocerned with Kulikov's injury and our offense. I know we scored 4 goals but 3 of them were lucky and our lottery picks are playing invisible hockey.
We are paying him 7 mil to play soft defensive hockey? At this point I'd even take J-Blow over him, he's soft and has no shot too, but at least Jay could skate back to recover.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Back next week
Unknown injury
Back next season

Groin, a good pull too. I would've been surprised to see him back so early.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
Couldn't agree more, Aaron is exceeding all expectations, but he could be even better without Campbell playing soft/intimidated, shooting soft on PP, playing slow and constantly putting everyone offside/killing momentum.

We are paying him 7 mil to play soft defensive hockey? At this point I'd even take J-Blow over him, he's soft and has no shot too, but at least Jay could skate back to recover.

Umm yes. 7 million bucks for a former offensive defenseman who plays responsible but soft defensive hockey and yes jblow would be an upgrade but hey what can we do, we are stuck with the guy. Who would take this contract on? If Kulikov probably doesn't miss next game I would bench his arse for 1 game and send a message to the team about competing to play every game.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Vancouver and Calgary showing you don't need a rebuild to be competitive.

We are competitive with what we have considering a new coaching staff and players once again.
Vancouver has star offensive players.
Calgary was playing really well in the last third of last season if anyone was paying attention, they were serious playoff spoilers. They had a rolling start.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Montoya has 4 weeks between games then he gets the afternoon game, with no pre-game skate and against the 3rd best team in the west. Might cut him a little slack?

Lets face it Luongo is the main reason this team gets by the way they do. They are not very deep anywhere, they have very little offensive and average or below average defense. This is gonna take awhile!

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Montoya has 4 weeks between games then he gets the afternoon game, with no pre-game skate and against the 3rd best team in the west. Might cut him a little slack?

I'll question if maybe he was rattled and two collisions in the crease?

Kuli is going to get an MRI on his knee tomorrow. Surprise, surprise a dirty play injuring one of our players get "missed" by the zebra coalition (won't even get into the play should've been blown dead because Montoya made the initial save and was pulled out by Calgary shooter with the collision).

Sounds like the same issue happens with Kuli is that when he plays well he gets a major injury to set him back. Losing him a huge blow as he was the #1 D and him and Mitchell were the ones going up against top lines. Depending on the extent of the injury the D starts to get get very sketchy:

Ekblad-Mitchell
Campbell-Guds
Olsen Robak

or

Campbell-Mitchell
Ekblad-Guds
Olsen Robak

I would like to see Petro up and get a chance to be up longer term replacement as well.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

Kuli is going to get an MRI on his knee tomorrow. Surprise, surprise a dirty play injuring one of our players get "missed" by the zebra coalition (won't even get into the play should've been blown dead because Montoya made the initial save and was pulled out by Calgary shooter with the collision).

Sounds like the same issue happens with Kuli is that when he plays well he gets a major injury to set him back. Losing him a huge blow as he was the #1 D and him and Mitchell were the ones going up against top lines. Depending on the extent of the injury the D starts to get get very sketchy:

Ekblad-Mitchell
Campbell-Guds
Olsen Robak

or

Campbell-Mitchell
Ekblad-Guds
Olsen Robak

I would like to see Petro up and get a chance to be up longer term replacement as well.

Kuli was looking the opposite direction from where he was skating on that hit, it was his fault IMO.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

Ekblad-Mitchell
Campbell-Guds
Olsen Robak

or

Campbell-Mitchell
Ekblad-Guds
Olsen Robak

I'd rather put Robak with Mitchell and keep the other pairings the same. Forcing all three pairings to play with new partners is not the best idea.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
:sarcasm:
How did he hurt his knee when he was hit upright and looking the other way. I don't remember seeing his knees getting hit. Did they bang knees in the collision or something?

His knee does not need a direct hit to get injured. It could have easily been twisted or tweeked in that unplanned contact.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
This team is a mess still since Dale took over. We might have a little more quality in the minors but certainly not in the NHL. No stars and no one who looks like they could be become one on the Panthers at least. An 18-year-old is the only bright spot once again. There are still so many holes and mistakes that we're seeing regarding the lineup. Players not playing to their potential. I'd say its quite a mess.

I feel bad for all the fans who were at the game today. They must have felt so defeated walking outta that place. I'd like to hear what Dale thinks about this game and the Flyers game.. Put some heat on the guy because we aren't seeing **** from these young players. Absolutely nothing but a couple lucky goals that any player in the league could've managed to score.

Last edited:

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
A little OT but maybe we need to create a ref thread:

I believe it was in the Leafs/Rangers game tonight where Bernier got a big time snow shower. It was so clear on first look. Guess what? No penalty. Remember when Kopecky did it earlier this year, and not even as bad as the one I saw tonight, quick call sent to the box.

As a coach myself (bball) all I ask from the refs at the HS level is to be consistent. Be consistently good or bad , your choice... Just be consistent please. I think these NHL refs go by their own rules and need to held more accountable. I don't remember games ever being officiated this poorly. A mini rant that had nothing to do with today's game, but I'm taking notes around the league like the rest of you have been this season.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
This team is a mess still since Dale took over. We might have a little more quality in the minors but certainly not in the NHL. No stars and no one who looks like they could be become one on the Panthers at least. An 18-year-old is the only bright spot once again. There are still so many holes and mistakes that we're seeing regarding the lineup. Players not playing to their potential. I'd say its quite a mess.

I feel bad for all the fans who were at the game today. They must have felt so defeated walking outta that place. I'd like to hear what Dale thinks about this game and the Flyers game.. Put some heat on the guy because we aren't seeing **** from these young players. Absolutely nothing but a couple lucky goals that any player in the league could've managed to score.

Your opinion has been recognized, my friend. No need to rehash it every time we lose.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

I really have no idea what the **** you are talking about anymore.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

I'm not paying him anything, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad