Flames 'New' Arena II - 'No it's yours, I insist'

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Am I the only one who actually likes the Saddledome?
Nostalgically I love the Saddledome but there are some critical flaws moving forward that can not be fixed. The roof's shape prevents many events from being held in Calgary because it hangs too low. Maintenance of the existing structure is at a point where the building is no longer sustainable. Incorporating new technology into the Saddledome is very cost prohibitive like green energy.

From a hockey perspective the inability to add larger and more luxury suites really impairs the Flames bottom line. A newer building with a conventional roof there will be better site lines and the ability to create different configurations for the various events.

Aug 3, 2010
The roof's shape prevents many events from being held in Calgary because it hangs too low.

Height isn't even the main issue with the roof - it's the load capacity, which is relatively quite low for a large venue. Its limits are even lower in the winter when snow accumulation is centered in the middle alongside a huge jumbotron setup.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
just a small le bump. any news from you Calgarians on a potential new home yet???
or are we still looking to play at the dome for the next 2+ seasons?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Damn I 'm getting old.

Someone tell me what a "virtual reality concert" is (and why we need a $600 million venue to hold them, instead of my living room)
Watching a concert through a VR headset.

Can you cram 18,000 people in your living room and have the luxury of paying for admission to do so? That's why.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Watching a concert through a VR headset.

Can you cram 18,000 people in your living room and have the luxury of paying for admission to do so? That's why.
No but I can cram myself into my living room and watch through a VR headset there, without having to deal with 18000 other people and still not actually seeing the performer in person.

Reactions: Anglesmith

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
F*** pants.
d1GoC.png

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's actually unreal it took so long to get here

Edit: By this, I mean, actual tangible progress. We should've been here 5 years ago

Last edited:
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Possible $60MM in spending cuts (to public transit, fire, and police services as well as many others) upcoming yet the city is looking perhaps to spend money on a new arena?

Reactions: super6646

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad